Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2005, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Visiting San Diego

Hello fellow reefers!
I'll be visiting your neck of the woods in a couple weeks for some software training just north of San Diego. Flying in the 14th of Aug., out on the RedEye on the 18th.

Where's a good place to stay? I will have a rental car, and I was looking perhaps for something in the gas lamp district. I hear it's a fun place at night. Don't need/want a fancy hotel, just a clean bed and a hot shower is enough for me.

Any attractions you'd recommend? I was hoping to hit Scripps, but see on their website they're 9-5... When I'll be in training. My evenings however should be free, so I'm open to suggestions. Croche's was one place already on my list...
I don't think I want to hop the border, I'm just liable to cause trouble. Thanks.

- Mac
Old 07/27/2005, 12:53 PM
I yam what I yam

The Sheraton out on Harbour point is nice. And they have a really huge fish tank in the lobby behind the counter. Ask for a room overlooking the bay. It's right across the street from the airport and just a few min. from downtown gas lamp district.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 07/27/2005, 02:07 PM
Leopard in training

Downtown Gas Lamp District is a lot of fun, I like the Bitter End.

If you want to hang out with a younger crowd (college aged kids) go to Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach Bar and Grill is a great time.

If you're on the hunt for some cougars, go to downtown La Jolla. George's at the Cove is nice, but expensive.

I haven't been to Sea World in years, but it was fun back in the day. If you can go to a Padres game, try to, the park is really nice.
Old 07/27/2005, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Hunting Cougars? I drive one of those, it's a 5-speed... I suspect you meant something different however? This East Coaster's gotta get up to speed on the Lingo.

My Salesrep said their office is 25 minutes from Gas Lamp, on a good day.. but I figure if I'm driving out of the city in the AM, and back in during the PM, I won't fight much traffic?

How far is Carlsbad? For some reason the "Carlsbad Canyons" has been running through my head since I saw it on Mapquest.

- Mac
Old 07/27/2005, 04:04 PM
Leopard in training

Cougars are older single women who are on the prowl. Usually have their own money, so they're done up, have fake racks, and tan.

Where is your office? Carlsbad is pretty far north, and traffic can be really tough. The office location will make a big difference as far as traffic goes.
Old 07/27/2005, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

hit up sdreefs.com if you want to check out what the locals have to offer. Also, you can check out the lfs down there.
Old 07/27/2005, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Proper address is Solana Beach. My sales guy says 200 Yards to the beach, 25 minutes North of the City.
Ahh... Cougars. Figured when I read it there was a double entedre! I was actually just thinking of hanging out at a bar and seeing what happened. A buddy of mine lives out that way, and says chicks are A LOT different than they grow out this way. You say these one's have money?

I was thinking of trying to get a cooler to come back with... It's just me on the trip, and some computer training.. not like I've gotta pack a ton of clothes? I've got a few small coolers I could put in the suitcase, but I'd wager the TSA might want a word w/ me. If I just used a cooler as my carry on, I'd likely be tolerated better?

- Mac
Old 07/27/2005, 07:55 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferMac
Any attractions you'd recommend?
Don't forget the world renowned San Diego Zoo!
Old 07/27/2005, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Attractions? About 20 minutes south & a border inspection... TJ!!!
There is no shortage of things to get yourself in trouble w/ down there.
Old 07/28/2005, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

LOL! How do Gary! What are you doing on a So. Cal. forum? LOL! Actually, that's on the list too. Dunno how or when I'll squeeze it in (between manhattan's!) But I'll have some time at the end of my trip, before dropping off the rental car, so... I saw on their web page that they've got something going on at night at the zoo these days (performer's, lights, etc.), so it shouldn't be a problem getting in there.
Thanks for the idea Reven, I am tempted, but... The border's a lot different than it used to be up here, and I don't know if I want to complicate things to that degree (not bringing my passport or birth certificate). Besides, a married man all alone in TJ? C'mon, you know where that one's heading!

- Mac
Old 07/28/2005, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Like I said... plenty of stuff to get you in trouble there

As for the border crossing. I believe you just need a driver's license to get back and forth. Im not sure about that though. Im sure there are some people here who go into Mexico all the time, so they may chime in.

There is no shortage of things to do down there. With two universities, the party scene is always going.
Old 07/28/2005, 03:09 PM
I yam what I yam

If it's Solona Beach, thats Del Mar area. It's a bit north of the city and the traffic can be bad at times in that area. But you do have the Del Mar race track there if your into horses.

Blacks beach is also up that way if your into some "scenery".

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 07/28/2005, 03:46 PM
Leopard in training

Quote:
Originally posted by reven
As for the border crossing. I believe you just need a driver's license to get back and forth. Im not sure about that though.
They've changed in the past couple years, you need a passport to get back into the country. They don't always check for one, but most of the time they do.

Solana Beach is great, there's a good place called Pizza Port, everyone likes pizza and beer for just relaxing. Down the street from there is a sushi place called Nobu, good food and good looking waitresses.

If you can get to the Del Mar racetrack, also recommended. Del Mar also has Epizote's, Jake's and Posieden, all of which have good scenery and are nice to relax at, especially in the evening.

Make sure to eat some Mexican food. I have east coast friends that don't understand why people out here like it till they try it here. Roberto's is recommended.
Old 07/28/2005, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Damn... that means I have to go renew my passport before I go to La Paz. Thanks for the info.
Old 07/28/2005, 03:59 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferMac
LOL! How do Gary! What are you doing on a So. Cal. forum? LOL!
I get around.
If you want a real laugh, just ask for a LaBatt's Blue at a bar in SD.
Old 07/28/2005, 04:21 PM
Leopard in training

Is Labatt's Blue like Pabst Blue Ribbon? Or are they the one with the bear commercial...
Old 07/28/2005, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Mike, you've got me thinking of finding a hotel close to the training, and cab'ing it into Gas Lamp one night to tie one on. No, Labatt's Blue is a fine Canadian Ale popular in this neck of the woods (yes, the bear commercials ). You get good mexican food from your neighbors, we get good beer: Molson and Labatt's (oh, and "the ballet") from our fine neighbors to the North. I love Canada!
My Sales guy mentioned something about the races, but I'd kind of assumed it was NASCAR stuff.
So Gary, what'll you give me if I can find a bar that serve's Blue out there? I might just have to bring my camera!

- Mac
Old 07/29/2005, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

OK, Holiday Inn Express in Solana it is!
Now, you say I've got a beach and beer close by? Who's up for a round? I'm buying!

- Mac
Old 07/29/2005, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Hows the snorkling down there? Worth trying to plan something? Mind you, I'm coming from way up north in a Freshwater Environment, so it's drastically different than what I'm used to already.
Any shark attacks yet this year? I'd make a hell of a meal (albeit likely pickled)!

- Mac
Old 07/29/2005, 01:01 PM
Leopard in training

LOL, no shark attacks yet this year. At least none that I know of. I haven't done any snorkeling off the coast cuz it's pretty cold, but if you go to www.sdreefs.com there are a few guys who have and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.

Give me a PM or post something here before you head out, I should be able to meet up for a beer.
Old 07/29/2005, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Will do Mike, thanks!
If the water's that cold... then maybe I don't wanna go for a swim.

- Mac
Old 07/29/2005, 05:55 PM
Leopard in training

Cool, looking forward to it.

Here's a link that'll answer your shark and snorkeling questions:

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...ght=snorkeling

and another one on scuba just in case

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...ghlight=diving
Old 07/29/2005, 09:09 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarasco1
They've changed in the past couple years, you need a passport to get back into the country. They don't always check for one, but most of the time they do.
i beg to differ. i was in tj this past weekend and no one that i was with needed a passport to get back into the US. of the "x" amount of times i have crossed the border in the past couple of years, not once have i been asked to present my passport.

all they have asked for is my license and what my citizenship is.
Old 08/01/2005, 11:20 AM
Leopard in training

Yeah, the last time I came through they didn't check for one either, that's why I added the qualifier. There was a time when they were doing it, though, cuz I had a vacation a while back in Ensenada, and we were told to make sure and have them. Sure enough, we were asked for them. Then again, my last name is Morales, so maybe they're just being real careful with me
Old 08/01/2005, 02:47 PM
Loan Shark Willy

racial profiling...tsk...tsk.