Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/24/2005, 06:20 PM
Bu Saif...

Unhappy Disaster weekend [PICT INCLUDED]

Went on vacation just for 2 nights with my family to come home for a disaster . When I arrived home, I noticed all my lights were off. My heart fell to my stomach, not me, the power is out . I ran to check on my tanks, OH Noooooooooooooo!! I checked the power box it was tripped somehow. I restarted the power; I found one survivor, Snowflake eel awaiting my arrival alive. It triggered me then to check on one of my dial timers, it stopped around 5PM which is about 7 hours before I arrived. Thank god it was not for 2 days. All corals are accounted for, but not all my fish!!! Only death so far occurred in my 150G tank cause it is loaded. Other tanks seems unaffected. The 2G nano have two fish that I seem not able to see them for now. Hope things will turn out OK. Her are some pictures of the massacre...

My chocolate Tang...

Skunk clown...

Scopas tang

more to follow...
Old 07/24/2005, 06:23 PM
Carl Brutananadilewski

damn that sucks, I've had a complete die off once when the AC stayed on (when it was supposed to be hot outside) and it was 60F the whole weekend. I also didn't have a heater in the tank, came back to an ice cold tank and a bunch of dead fish.... such a bad feeling, good luck picking up the pieces

-Robert Plant
Old 07/24/2005, 06:24 PM
Bang

Not cool.
Old 07/24/2005, 06:31 PM
Bu Saif...

Thanks. I needed to vent a little. Here are more.

Still looking for more between the rocks. I'll update you all tomorrow...
Old 07/24/2005, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

That's terrible... I just got my fish and I've grown attached to them, I couldn't imagine how you must feel right now.. those are, well I guess were, awesome fish.... I'm sorry to hear of your tragedy...
Old 07/24/2005, 06:51 PM
The Micro/Acan Collector

I know the feeling I went on vac. for a couple of days and lost my pink anthias, damsel (wanted to get rid of him anyway), green chromis, mandrin, and a couple of other fish. All my corals died as well. Everything is back and running now better than ever. Hope everything works out for you.

Good Luck

30"x30" Bullet Proof Cube (in progress)
Old 07/24/2005, 07:00 PM
Why? Because I can

sorry for your loss.
Old 07/24/2005, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

wow, very sorry for your loss.
Old 07/24/2005, 07:11 PM
Moved On

oh no, was that a blackfoot clown...i love that species, i have a trio.....
Old 07/24/2005, 07:37 PM
Me in Iraq

Sorry, that sucks.

Here's something that may help prevent a next time.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Silent+A...100047-C-.aspx

I'd use one for every 75 gallons of tank.
Old 07/24/2005, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Is that all you need are bubbles when the power goes out? How long can fish survive on just bubbles? I have one heater, one filter, and one PH on a battery backup since my power goes out all the time in the summer.

Sorr to hear about the losses.

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaman67
Sorry, that sucks.

Here's something that may help prevent a next time.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Silent+A...100047-C-.aspx

I'd use one for every 75 gallons of tank.
Old 07/24/2005, 08:35 PM
Fiddles With Reef

So did they die from overheating or suffocation?

It amazes that fish can perish after a few hours when water movement stops....can someone explain that to me?

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 07/24/2005, 08:42 PM
I shall steal your CLAMS!

Horrible, just horrible. Sorry for your losses, hope every thing else stays happy and healthy for a long time.

-~ David ~-
Old 07/24/2005, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

That's heartbreaking..I am literally too afraid to go away at this point. I am glad you didn't say they were cheap fish or anything like some folks do when their's die (like it's okay because they were inexpensive to begin with!!)

I know there are threads that have told about generators that kick in when power goes out automatically. We have to see if ours will do that and get it hooked in.

Really sad pics..hope you're up and running again soon.

Conda, how long is your battery backup good for?
Old 07/24/2005, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Are you sure the timer didn't stop at 5 pm on the first night you were gone? Those fish look like they have been dead for more than just a 2 or 3 hours they look to be already starting to decay. I think it would have been at least 4-5 hours before your fish would have had any problems at all. If it was only 7 hours I think your fish would have survived but I could be wrong. I had they same thing happen to me about 6 years ago. Power was out for 3 days when I was on vacation. The only thing that wasn't dead was also a snowflake eel. Sorry for your losses

Last edited by pfan151; 07/24/2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07/24/2005, 09:54 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

I'm sooo sorry... but I TOTALLY know what you are going through (who else but people on RC could truly understand the heartbreak???) . I am at a total loss myself. #**@*! Pepco, our power company, goes out every time a squirrel sneezes in our neighborhood. That's 5 times in the past 2 weeks alone... but so far it hadn't been a big deal because it was only 4 or 5 hours and then restored. THIS time, minor storm over the weekend, and it took them 3 days. I was absolutely frantic, couldn't buy a generator, prohibited by our condo; so I had to get giant battery, the kind you jump the car with. By then it was pretty much too late. The once vibrant tank, with about $2 K worth of really beloved livestock, like yours was all gone... very expensive, rare corals, beautiful fish that were doing wonderfully... ARGGHHH how does anyone have the heart to start over again after something like this????? Not to mention that the lst time I left the hobby it was similar... Hurricane Isabelle, power was off for 6 days, lost everything... by the end it was just a foul smelling, dissolved mess.

Not to steal your thunder, but I'm also posting some very sad and graphic pics of just some of the stuff I lost...

Old 07/24/2005, 10:36 PM
a Buffer fish

So sorry, my fish are like my best friends. After you feel better lets see that pic of the only survivor and work from there!
Old 07/25/2005, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Woh, that's terrible! I just starting my SW tank for a couple months and I can't imagine how upsad I'd be if I get a tankcrash due to power triping/outage like this.

Any idea what's the "usual" direct cause of death in situation like these? Is it the heat, lack of circulation, lack or oxygen? I think i should start planning for some backup just incase.....
Old 07/25/2005, 12:38 AM
TRC Leader

Wow.. so sorry for your loss wahshk and Pandora.
Old 07/25/2005, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Tear, sad pics friend. First thing tomorrow gotta order those battery operated pumps.
Old 07/25/2005, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Has no one ever thought to have battery backups they use for computers? I'm a network engineer and plug my (just starting) first SW tank into the same system I use for my computers. I can run all of my PCs for several hours, and the fish tank can go for several days just on my batteries. You can get them without breaking the bank, and the peace of mind is spectacular knowing I can run my tank for several days without power.
Old 07/25/2005, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

man that really sucks... I had a freind who had the same thing happen to him!
Old 07/25/2005, 01:06 AM
Corgilover

I'm sorry for your loss. Once I went on a 3 day vacation and came home to find my GFCI tripped and none of my pumps were running only the lights. Thankfully, nothing died which makes me believe it occured the day I got back. I always stress and worry about the tank when I come home from work. This is a tough hobby.
Old 07/25/2005, 01:25 AM
GO DUCKS!

im sorry for your loss. i couldnt imagine if that happened to me. it would be like losing a family. i love my tank too much and im sure everyone has the same feeling for theirs too. lets have a moment of silence for WAHSHK.
Old 07/25/2005, 01:27 AM
GO DUCKS!

(edit) family member