Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2005, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

What are these?

I did some rearranging to9day and I moived this mushroom rock out into brighter light. In about 45 minutes these two appeared. I have not noticed them before. Any ideas - hope they are not the dreaded aipt...

Old 07/23/2005, 02:27 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

They look like majano anemones. Pretty, but can multiply rapidly and become a real pest. They are tougher than Aiptasia and your range of removal techniques is somewhat smaller than Aiptasia.

So maybe get rid of them while there are only two.

I notice that is looks like the shroom isn't liking them too much.

(I would make a small epoxy patch and seal them in for a couple weeks, then peel off the patch)
Old 07/23/2005, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, I do not need that problem. Never had any anemones in the tank.
Old 07/23/2005, 02:30 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
look like majanos to me. take 'em out!
Old 07/23/2005, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Anemonia Majanos.

Actually, they're really easy to take out if you can take out the whole rock. They don't burst into a million babies like aptasia fortunately when killed. Easiest way is to take the rock out, use thongs or tweezers and grab hold the base and just wriggle it loose. Or you can just chisel the rock.
Old 07/23/2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

I had one in my tank, it's pretty, but I got it out of there because they can be as bad as aiptasia.

Would you also believe I saw these things being sold on E-bay. People listed them as "Tulip Anemones *RARE*", and they actually sold.

Matthew
Old 07/23/2005, 02:40 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
no way...i had to check ebay to see that for myself...not too many listings for anenomes. i don't doubt people do it though...hell, one of my lfs throws in a few aiptasia with any coral purchase. to answer your next question, no i don't shop there anymore.
Old 07/23/2005, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

They are gone - thanks everyone - I was able to remove the rock and cut off the portion they were on.

SAVED BY RC MEMBERS AGAIN!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.
Old 07/23/2005, 02:45 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Old 07/24/2005, 12:41 AM
Gold Star Recipient

Did they have pink tips?
Old 07/24/2005, 04:20 AM
Premium Member

No pink tips but green mouths.
Old 07/24/2005, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Actually Majano anemones are no where near the problem that aiptasia can be. They do not spread anywhere near as fast as aiptasia. IMO, majano & aiptasia shouldn't even be compared as being similar. Other than both being anemones I think the 2 are totally different.

- Stanley J. Gardiner
Old 07/24/2005, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

I disagree, Majanos became a huge problem in a friends tank, well over a thousand in his 100 gallon, killing everything they came into contact with. I had one, and before I knew it there were 10. I was able to kill them with kalk paste.
Old 07/24/2005, 01:28 PM
Gold Star Recipient

Are tulip anemones just as bad as majanos?
Old 07/24/2005, 01:42 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMoneyPit
I disagree, Majanos became a huge problem in a friends tank, well over a thousand in his 100 gallon, killing everything they came into contact with. I had one, and before I knew it there were 10. I was able to kill them with kalk paste.
Yeah, me too. A local LFS had them get away from him in his show 600gal. There were thousands and they also killed most everything.
Old 07/24/2005, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

(I would make a small epoxy patch and seal them in for a couple weeks, then peel off the patch)

Cool idea! does this work with Aptasia too?
Old 07/25/2005, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

i had some in my tank and they destroyed them selves
Old 07/25/2005, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

i have 2 smal patches of majano's haven't done any real spreading yet i think they are cute. It funny though they don't like the sting of galaxia very much and kind of shun away from it and it's sweepers. i have killed on that was stinging a mushroom but otherwise i leave them be.
Old 07/25/2005, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Trust me they will proliferate in your tank.
Old 07/25/2005, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

CitCat21
I have only been in the reef end of this hobby for a short time compared to most of the people here. Some words of advice, "Follow their advice."
Reefing can become a very rewarding experience or a very expensive mistake. I can honestly say that the members of RC have saved me thousands of dollars by following their instructions.
Old 07/25/2005, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

what are the corals at the top of the picture, candy canes? the ones at the lfs dont look like those
Old 07/25/2005, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

This is a favia or favite coral.

Here it is behind a trumpet coral.
Old 07/25/2005, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I had a majono a while back and was something else to get rid of it.
Old 07/26/2005, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bllfish
CitCat21
I have only been in the reef end of this hobby for a short time compared to most of the people here. Some words of advice, "Follow their advice."
Reefing can become a very rewarding experience or a very expensive mistake. I can honestly say that the members of RC have saved me thousands of dollars by following their instructions.
I've had my majanos for 6 months now and no prolific spreading. I like them and i'm keeping them. There are others here on RC even that keep them. I personally feel they can become a pest but no where near as aptasia or valonia. They are much more manageable and easy to isolate. they don't just popup in other random places around the tank they will spread from where they already exist. JME/O
Old 07/26/2005, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Well, we can't argue with someone with so much experience, but lets talk again in another year, that is of course if you're still in the hobby after your majanos take over your tank. I've seen what those things can do. BTW I had mine for a good six months, maybe a little longer, before they began to spread.

Quote:
they don't just popup in other random places around the tank they will spread from where they already exist.
Again, I disagree. They will grow quickly where they already exist, but they can, and will, popup anywhere in your tank. It's funny because you are saying some of the exact same things I use to say.