Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/11/2002, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

From Utah? Where do you shop?

Just wondering how many of you are from utah, and where is your favorite lfs

Old 02/11/2002, 12:05 PM
Moved In

Fish 4 U, Highland and 4100? E Salt Lake

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/11/2002, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Check out the club website at:

www.utahreefs.com

Follow the link to stores. Personally I like/recommend Bird World in Bountiful. They allowed me to handpick my liverock when I was setting up. The cost was $4/pound-regardless of size. Another shop nearby tried to imposed a "premium" price on the stuff I hand picked and did impose the higher price for pieces they thought were a little larger. Had to admit it ****ed me off and I did not purchase the amount I had intended from them. Soooo, buyer beware, regardless. There's a couple decent shops I'm familier with in Ogden (Petland and Pets Unlimited). Both are ok and located down by the Newgate Mall. Good Luck!

Jim
Cache Valley/Logan area
Old 02/11/2002, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Mountain Shadows Marine in Centerville, might be a little more expensive but unlike Bird World they will hold livestock for you untill they make sure it is going to live. After as much as you spend on this hobby why go with someone that is only in the business to sell merchandise and does not care if the livestock lives or dies once you get it home? I hate to bash Bird World but their name should tell you something they sell fish dogs cats snakes lizards and birds kind of hard to get someone that knows what they are talking about, and I have seen to many times the sale of livestock right out of the box it was shipped in. I have been in this hobby for over ten years I have shopped almost every "pet" store along the wasatch front, my money goes to Mountain Shadows. I do not work for then or am I in anyway affiliated with them I just know knowlagable people when I meet them.

O.C.D. It is not a disease...
It is a lifestyle!!
Old 02/12/2002, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

thanx for the info folks, I sent an email to the president of wmas to become a member, hopefully some of us will meet up sometime
thanks again
stoney
Old 06/03/2002, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

The Painted Fish in Orem. It's decent and close.
Old 06/04/2002, 10:04 AM
RC Mod

I was really impressed by Ocean Life in Orem last time I visited my parents. It's right off the highway. After that I think that Fish 4 U was the best one I saw.

Of course, I don't get to browse the Utah shops very regularly, I just wanted to mention Ocean Life because I think a lot of people pass over it.

Dave
Old 06/05/2002, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

I haven't been to Ocean Life for a long time, but I thought the Painted Fish was a bit nicer. I went to Fish 4U today and it was good. I've never been there before. I am amazed at how many nice fish stores there are in Utah. It seems that good things and places are slow to come to Utah, like cool guitar stores.

The WMAS site is under construction. Is ther another way I can get info?
Old 01/10/2005, 05:29 AM
grouchy hermit

A bump up for this old thread. I'll be visiting Salt Lake City in March (going skiing at Park City). Any current recommendations for LFSes to visit while there?

Spleen
Old 01/10/2005, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Go to the WMAS webpage at:

Wasatch MArine Aquarium Society

There is a link listing most of the LFS's around the Salt Lake area. Some with webpages of their own.

Good Luck,

Jim

(PS: My small aquarium is 'Tank-of-the-Month' for November 2004 on the WMAS website.)
Old 01/10/2005, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I shop at the following stores and find them all to be very helpful and knowledgable:

Fish 4 U
The Aquarium
Marine Aquatics
Old 01/10/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

I think The Aquarium is dirty and overpriced. Fish 4 U is a tiny bit better. Too many sick and dead fish in the tanks. I don't buy fish from either place anymore.

I like Marine Aquatics and Aquatica. Both are nice. Aquatica is bigger and closer to me. Marine Aquatics opens at 4 PM.
Old 01/11/2005, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

I shop at sue's pet castle in st. george. I would like to make a trip up north to check out some stores up there. There is not much of a variety in a town with 2 pet stores.
Old 01/11/2005, 01:15 AM
Running 26.2

I've only been to Aquatica, but I liked what I saw. I've mail ordered from them as well. I'm planning on checking out Mountain Shadows this weekend.
Old 01/11/2005, 01:40 AM
grouchy hermit

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Spleen
Old 01/11/2005, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

My Ceylon puffer died this weekend. He was brackish. Does anyone know of any Utah stores that have fresh or brackish puffers right now?
Old 01/15/2005, 12:04 PM
Running 26.2

Okay ... I made it to four fish stores along the Wasatch front so far this weekend: Aquatica (Orem), Mountain Shadows (Centerville), Fish-4-U (SLC), and Bird World (NSL / Bountiful). The only one I won't ever go to again was Fish-4-U. I was not impressed with their selection and found the store to be quite dirty. Aquatica had the best fish selection IMO. I was quite impressed with the drygoods at Bird World, especially their tank selection. In fact, I even bought a 15g tank while I was there. Now I just have to figure out how to fit it into the car as my family (wife & two kids) drive back to ABQ on Sunday.
Old 01/15/2005, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

What is Mountain Shadow Marine like? I have never been there.
Old 01/15/2005, 03:57 PM
Moved In

Well Fish 4 U is remodeling and moving things around so a mess is to be expected. I've gotten great service from them. I've never seen a dead or dying fish there either. They've always gone out of their way and actually remember me. Since I'm not in Utah that's a plus for me.

I've only been to Mountain Shadow once, but they had some nice livestock. It was smaller than I expected.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!