Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2005, 06:38 AM
TOTM january 2006

Zebrasoma gemmatum, price in your LFS?

What price must you give for Zebrasoma gemmatum in your LFS?

click on my red house for more
pictures.
Old 06/19/2005, 07:32 AM
Professional Aquarist

The few times I have seen them available, they ran around $1,000.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 06/21/2005, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

In Europe retail is below 600.-€

Peter
Old 06/21/2005, 07:28 AM
Pimping the Lady Boys

I missed few pcs in Hong Kong for approx~ US$320.00

Price last year was a little more than US$200.00.
Now they are not available as before and the price went up.
Old 06/21/2005, 08:33 AM
angelfish nut!

The last time The Marine Center got them they were $1800.

My LFS gets them regularly and they sell for $1,000, yet this is literally off the boat from Mauritius and it's a gamble as they have a rough ride here... this past weekend they got in a healthy 3 incher. If I were going to spend $1,000, I'd be happy to spend a few hundred more for a healthy one that's settled as Zebrasoma are die hard if settled. One shipment they received 4 gems and three were DOA, with the fourth only lasting a day...

Have you guys noticed a shortage of black tangs (the second rarest Zebrasoma after the gemmatum) in other countries as Christmas Island is shipping less frequently? My new addition is a nice 6 inch Z. rostratus that I waited for for a long time... they either get little guys or huge dinner plate frisbee size! I travel with work regularly to Hawaii where you could see their resident Z. rostratum without going to the Christmas Islands! Check it out here!
Sorry for the mini-hijack but you guys should appreciate that...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 06/21/2005, 08:37 AM
angelfish nut!

For those wondering... here is a shot of a gem tang at our LFS...

Hey Vili... I'll trade you an Atlantic blue tang if you send me a Gem from over there...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 06/21/2005, 08:38 AM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by StevenPro
The few times I have seen them available, they ran around $1,000.
Hey Steven, where else have you seen them available in the US?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 06/21/2005, 09:42 AM

I remember buying one of these for a client who really wanted one about a year ago for apprx. $1200. It was an awesome looking fish, about the size of a 50 cent coin.
Old 06/21/2005, 11:37 AM
Pimping the Lady Boys

No wonder Hong Kong dont get this fish any more!

Japan was always there for the crazy priced fish and corals, but Japan is a small market, now the US market which is the world's biggest market and I bet it is bigger than the rest of the world combined!

1000$.....(!!!).

This fish was 250$ max! acouple of years back.

I know one of the major importers in Hong Kong and he just say that his Mauritius suppliers wont send him this fish anymore!

Now put yourself in the shoes of the Mauritius supplier, why should ya send this fish to Hong Kong who was buying this fish for let's just assume--->one hundred something bucks, when you can send it to the American importer who will buy whatever you catch for over double or triple , since the American importer can sell it in America for 1000 bucks and more!!!!

Your market is becoming insane!
Old 06/21/2005, 12:01 PM
angelfish nut!

Vili that is no new price... this fish has been this way for at least the last few years... anyone know the history beyond that... say 10 or 15 years ago? I remember about 15 years ago when Red Sea stuff was insane... with asfur angels for instance at $700 to over a thousand...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 06/21/2005, 01:16 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Yep,
I remember 89', Asfurs were going for 1000$ in Hong Kong.....but back then there were almost no suppliers from the Red Sea.

Back to the Gem Tang...the fact is that Hong Kong was getting them and now, not.
It's not that Mauritius shipments are not coming in, they do, but without the Gems.

It's just that the US market is booming and ready to get any price.

In Mauritius , from what I heard there are only two collectors , the Gem , again from what I heard is kind of solitary fish,it is not that you're going to catch a bunch of them.
So there's VERY limited stocks even in the country of origin, so the collector ,who has almost no competition at home, can cherry pick his customers, and in this case of course that the Gem and the C.debelius will go to Japan-USA and then Europe.
Old 06/21/2005, 02:17 PM
angelfish nut!

Vili I hear the same thing regarding Mauritius, except that there's only one supplier (this may mean to the US). The gems are few and far between... Never seen any debelius angels come in... do they send chrysogaster clowns in the Mauritius shipments over there?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 06/21/2005, 03:00 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

It comes as well but not very often cause it is not popular.
Mainly there are Bodianus opercularis , C.mitratus , the Mauritius Mitratus is demanding and getting higher price than the Maldives Mitratus, some Anthias spp. and the rest are regular fish that always make the importers moan about why the collectors sent them.
Old 06/22/2005, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vili_Shark
It comes as well but not very often cause it is not popular.
Mainly there are Bodianus opercularis , C.mitratus , the Mauritius Mitratus is demanding and getting higher price than the Maldives Mitratus, some Anthias spp. and the rest are regular fish that always make the importers moan about why the collectors sent them.
That's always the problem (for the importers) as the regular fish from Mauritius wholesale cost more than the same fish from Indo/phillipines RETAIL! So, it doesn't make sense for an importer to import a whole bunch of fish they will loose money on just to get the few fish they can make money on....and that's why the fish retails for many times wholesale!

I guess I truly was lucky to get that one gem! Doubt I could get any more ...... unless it's time for a Mauritian vacation!
Old 06/22/2005, 04:15 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Hey, do I know you???

What's up my friend???

Take care of your Gem, it's gettin more n more rare in S.E.Asia, they're all goin to Japan and the states.

Did ya see anything in S'pore since I left?

Remember there was this guy who said he can bring them, did he??
Old 06/22/2005, 05:10 PM
Who wants to trade frags?

COPPS,
if you can get me either a gem tang or a black tang small sized(less than 4 inches) i would greatly appreciate it. i have been after a small black tang for over two years now with no success. thanks for the help.
Old 06/22/2005, 05:27 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Black tang is much easier to get.

It's still not easy, but Gem is getting impossible while Black is just coming once a month or so.

In LA u can see them at the wholesellers, but not often, in HK they are coming once a month, the main problem with them is that they cut the flights out of Xmas islands , and they are much less flights compare to earlier.
Old 06/22/2005, 06:21 PM
angelfish nut!

The recent Gem that came in over the weekend went for $1250 after speaking to my LFS... gotta love supply and demand... this one was a nice size and in excellent shape though...

Vili, what price increase have you seen out there on black tangs as a result of Chrstmas Island flights? I've seen it here, at least locally... online they're very tough to get to... again supply and demand... more demand and less supply...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 06/22/2005, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

i have heard that they have to limit the flights from the Christmas Islands due to a fire truck being broken at the airport, so no planes can go in or out....

hopefully this will change soon.

Nick
Old 06/23/2005, 05:24 AM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Hi,
There is no price difference.
This fish goes for up to 250.00 depends on size, I guess that Show size will demand more money, but usualy they come to HK at 11-13cm which is like 5-6".
If the specimsn is small it will be in lower price, they dont really like small fish in HK.

mortenN, what is the price they are asking for the Gem in Norway?
Old 06/28/2005, 01:11 PM
TOTM january 2006

Quote:

mortenN, what is the price they are asking for the Gem in Norway?
I have never seen a Gem in a LFS in Norway

pictures.
Old 06/28/2005, 05:17 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Ohhh.....and I almost started to plan my Norge trip.....
I might be a few days in Sweden this summer so I thoght if the Gems are a good price, I might give it a try.

Im still amazed by your 902 working on only seventy something gallons...
Old 06/28/2005, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I might be a few days in Sweden this summer so I thoght if the Gems are a good price, I might give it a try.

Vili will travel the world to get a gemmatum ......everywhere except Mauritius
Old 06/29/2005, 03:09 AM
TOTM january 2006

Quote:

I guess you don't will find a Gem in Sweden at this time . I have good contact's in Sweden and they can don't find a Gem to me

Yupp, the AP902 working very well in my system. I can feed my PBT and two Regal angels four/five times every day with pellets and frozen food so I can have healty fish and good color on my SPS at the same time. (Later, I will also test AP1003 in my system )

This is after about two days with wet skimming.

My PBT

And my two Regals

pictures.
Old 06/29/2005, 04:52 AM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Marinebetta, Li my friend, I wouldnt fly all the way to Norway for a gem, but I might have to spend few days in Sweden at the end of the summer, so I thought if Im already there......

Morten, the 902 on that system is really something different, Deltec claims they are really accurate about their Heavy Stcoking size of the tanks,the 902 is rated for 1800liters !!!

Are ya serious about the 1003???