Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/02/2005, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Reptiles

Anyone else here enjoy keeping reptiles? I have found it to be a rewarding hobby also. Please tell me what awesome reptiles you keep.
Old 06/02/2005, 01:50 PM
yawn

I had a bearded dragon, currently have a leopard gecko named Simon. Had the gecko for about 5 years.
Old 06/02/2005, 02:00 PM
LIL VIC

i had a leopard geco, he just recently died thou, i had him for a relly long time like 6-7 years....

i currently have a iguana thats about 6 or more feet long

-Victor

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind."
-'Dr. Seuss'
Old 06/02/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I have white throat monitor and a pair of Surinam Red-Tail Boas. I've had them for years, the monitor is a brute when it comes time to eat, but otherwise, he's very laid back and calm. He loves it when it's sunny outside and I put him on his leash so he can soak up the sun in the grass.
Old 06/02/2005, 04:03 PM
Like my pet shark?

Dinoman has quite a few, his setups are awesome. Im sure he will post some pictures...
Old 06/02/2005, 04:19 PM
Metal Lives

iv got a Green Iguana i have had for about 6-7 years now.
Old 06/02/2005, 04:36 PM
I need to get a life.

I have in the past had several varieties of turtles and snakes. Currently I'm trying to downsize my collection to just a pair of spotted turtles.

Steve
Old 06/02/2005, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

had a bearded dragon but died of out growing his tank i think?
Old 06/02/2005, 06:39 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by needyreefer
Dinoman has quite a few, his setups are awesome. Im sure he will post some pictures...
I'm here! Yep I'm a reptile addict; I have a male bearded dragon, M/F green anole pair, unsexed house gecko and a female (or at least that what I think it is) tokay gecko. I need to take some new pics of my anole and gecko setups. They've changed a bit since I last took pictures. Here are some pictures of my beardie setup though. It measures 4'x2'x4' and he uses every little bit of it, which I think is something people really miss when they use little cages. If you give them room they really like to run around and climb ( I've read that in their native habitat people often see them sitting on top of fence posts). Last time I measured him he was just under 2ft long.

To give you a sense of scale, the log on the right is too big to fit in a 55gal tank .

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 06/02/2005, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

i have a baby red ear and a golden mantella
Old 06/02/2005, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm here! Yep I'm a reptile addict; I have a male bearded dragon, M/F green anole pair, unsexed house gecko
I think house geckos may be what we have in Funchess hall in Auburn. One of the campus biology buildings had some geckos escape from a lab and they have created a small community in the building. It's some type of gecko, but I think its a house gecko as that sounds familiar.
Old 06/02/2005, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

I've got a 4ft green iguana, been with me since he was 2, and he's 5 now.
Old 06/02/2005, 07:31 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by aujay
I think house geckos may be what we have in Funchess hall in Auburn. One of the campus biology buildings had some geckos escape from a lab and they have created a small community in the building. It's some type of gecko, but I think its a house gecko as that sounds familiar.
Quite possible, might also be some wild ones around your area. they're kinda like anoles you can buy 'em for $5. Do you know what they look like? Mine is small brown guy, really bumpy and really shy. Almost never see him during the day.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 06/02/2005, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

I just know what I'm told. I figure it being an biology building, they would distinguish between an gecko and anole, but who knows. Supposedly there are thousands of them scurrying around in the walls. Although I never saw anything I did hear something at night studying in the labs, but it could've been mice too. I guess its an alternative to insect control...

We do have green anoles around here. I have on that likes to sit on teh railing of my porch to warm up. He's gorgeous when he puffs out that red pouch in his throat.
Old 06/02/2005, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

Hey Dinoman, I've seen your tank on kingsnake.com! Pretty sweet...

I've had a leopard gecko for 9 years, still going strong

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 06/02/2005, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

A corn snake for 4 years now. Used to keep leopard geckos and jackson chameleons, but my cats always found a way into the crickets... so unfortunately the geckos and chameleons had to go .
Old 06/03/2005, 05:01 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by tsquad
Hey Dinoman, I've seen your tank on kingsnake.com! Pretty sweet...

I've had a leopard gecko for 9 years, still going strong

Small world! I don't get over to the forums very often, I always stuck on here! I use their photogallery to host some of my "animal pics" since they give 10mb for free and I don't have to worry about them taking up room on my phtobucket album. One of these days I'm going to be doing a google search and find one of my own pictures! I have them scattered all over the place.

C'mon people start posting some pics! I'll take some more today if I find time.

Old 06/03/2005, 07:13 AM
i'm here for you two

this is falcon my savannah monitor, i also have geckos and bearded dragons. used to keep pythons and boa's. i may get another boa. i'll post some more pics later.

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 06/03/2005, 08:07 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Here is my anole tank as of this morning, its a AGA 55gal (yes I know the glass really really really needs cleaned). The "mud" stuff on top of the log is some moss I just ground up this morning, hoping it'll take off...

BTW, those plants in front of the log are all flowers, I'm hoping they'll look good when they finally start blooming.

Old 06/03/2005, 08:10 AM
i'm here for you two

awsome i want to set up a dart frog tank. just love those lil frogs

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 06/03/2005, 08:14 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

I would love some too, but I find fruit flies a pain, plus I have no more room! Some of those dart tanks though are unbelievable!

Old 06/03/2005, 03:27 PM
Started a 15g in 96'

Quote:
Originally posted by crzy4reefs

Check it out......http://dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1
Old 06/03/2005, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

more pics more pics!
Old 06/04/2005, 12:55 PM
Like my pet shark?

Quote:
Originally posted by crzy4reefs
Im setting up a 29g right now for either a pair of tincs or a trio of leucomelas (sp?). I think weeman has a tank setup for them too...
Old 06/04/2005, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

when i was a little kid i would catch newts and frogs and keep them in a bucket. then i bought my first reptile when i got a little older, it was just a garden snake. i think i let him free cuz i felt bad for him. then i got a iguana, but he got too big, then i got a kingsnake, and i had him for almost eight years, but then he suddenly died, i have no idea why, then i had a bearded dragon, and one day i came home and he wasnt moving, we think he fell off the top of the tank and killed himself because he would always climb on the screen on the top of my tank