Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2005, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

6 weeks in Quarantine tank ?

Purple tang treated for ich with copper for six weeks.Now how do I safely get him back into the reef tank?How saturated is he with copper/will he intro copper to the reef tank?
Old 05/20/2005, 06:36 PM
Moved On

Why don't you just remove the copper from the QT's water. Your fish is not saturated with copper.
Old 05/20/2005, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

stelow,
Would you like to enlighten us by letting us know how you would remove copper from the tanks water?
Old 05/20/2005, 09:07 PM
How YOU doin?

Some poly pads are made specifically for removing copper. Water changes will help, too. And, I agree with stelow, the fish is not "saturated with copper."

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 05/20/2005, 09:18 PM
NARC Reefer

6 weeks in copper ?!? Not to be critical, and it could be that I don't know what I think I know, but I think that two weeks is all that is necessary, and with the sensitivity of tangs' digestive systems to copper.... hmmmmm, well.... I hope your tang continues to be able to eat and digest food.
If you stop adding copper to the QT and do a partial water change, you can drastically reduce the levels quickly. When you move the tang back to the display, you might do an intermediate dip/bath, either with freshwater or water from the display to remove any residual from the tang... but I agree with the above, your tang is not saturated with copper and there should be no ill effects to your display from putting the tang back in.
HTH,
Mariner

~The perception is that perception is reality, but the reality is that it isn't.
Old 05/21/2005, 01:55 AM
Moved On

Yep and activated carbon works also, and like Mariner said that's to long probably for a fish to be exposed to therapeutic levels of copper. Hopefully the tang has been eating well. Water changes with fresh RO water, with no copper added is the quickest way to remove the copper from the QT.
Old 05/21/2005, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

why not just acclimate to the reef water?Put the tang in a bucket with water from the Q-tank.Do a slow drip until parameters in the bucket match those of the main tank.Get a decent net,and in goes the tang.Any copper the fish retains(not even sure if this is an issue) will be insignificant.

Copper treatments remain controversal,but it is the best way to ensure complete removal of all parasites.I still havent seen any reports to confirm the suspicion of stomach bacteria destruction that some are concerned about.

That length of treatment was a little drawn out,and just wondering,did you use a chelated copper or pure copper sulfate?What test kit did you use to monitor copper levels?
Old 05/21/2005, 11:05 AM
Ferret Maximus

bump
Old 05/21/2005, 07:37 PM
How YOU doin?

Tangs digestive systems are sensitive to copper? I knew that either butterflies or angels were, I didn't realize tangs were, too.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 05/21/2005, 09:00 PM
NARC Reefer

shoestring,
LOL, I didn't know butterflies and angels were sensitive to copper. I learn something new everyday....

But I thought that I remembered reading in more than one reference that copper does effect tangs' digestion, so I did a google search for "tangs" and "copper" and it returned these results from wetwebmedia.com on the first page:

NasoFAQ3
... It can really effect the internal systems of tangs. Copper can be harsh stuff! How's he doing at this point? Are you seeing anything on him? MacL> ...
www.wetwebmedia.com/nasofaq3.htm - 34k - May 20, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

AcanthurFAQ3
... Many tangs react poorly to copper and it should only be dosed at very low levels. I realize the Powder Blue is a notorious ich magnet but it would be ...
www.wetwebmedia.com/acanthurfaq3.htm - 30k - Cached - Similar pages [ More results from www.wetwebmedia.com ]

FWIW,
Mariner

~The perception is that perception is reality, but the reality is that it isn't.