Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/04/2005, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Firefish Goby hides all the time

Hello everyone,
I just bought a firefish goby Saturday and he has been hiding ever since. Is this a normal thing to do? Since he is my first fish in my 24g nano I was hoping to see him out more. I have seen him swimming in the tank maybe 3 minutes total. Of course he probably comes out after the lights are off.
I am planning on putting in a pair of clowns soon, any other fish suggestions, or am I maxed out?
thanks

dina
Old 05/04/2005, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

hey what up. yeah it is normal for firefish to be shy. he will come out in time. unless you have too many active fish in there. before adding the clowns what are all the fish presently in there.
Old 05/04/2005, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

hlama the firefish is the only one in there at this time. I'll be patient
Old 05/04/2005, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

AAaaawwww yes, in this hobby patients is maditory no dout. just to give you an idea i have a 20gal reef/nano with a purple firefish, watchmen gold goby "its really bright green though", yellow clown goby, and a percula clown(false) they are a little smaller than the true perculas. i would not get a pair of clowns unless they are a mated pair (can be hard to get). they will fight in that size tank. which clown are you thinking a maroon clown can get up to like 7". one would be to big for that tank unless he is the only fish of course. i love the little yellow clown he always kicks it on/in my open brain and swims through the star polyups. and he has a big personality. very active. have had like5-6 thourgh out my reefing. all have been like this. very cool fish and cheap too. the watchman has taken to the elephant ear sits in it most of the day but sometimes he and the firfish hang out and swim with eachother, he is cool too. hope this give you some ideas.
Old 05/04/2005, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Hlama thanks for the ideas. I do love the clown gobies and watchman, very entertaining. The clowns I am taking are a mated pair, so no worry about fighting. thanks
Old 05/04/2005, 04:35 PM
Call Me Ishmael...

It took the removal of a clown and several weeks to pass before my firefish would come out "in the open" for more than a few minutes a day!
Old 05/04/2005, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ddrap
Hlama thanks for the ideas. I do love the clown gobies and watchman, very entertaining. The clowns I am taking are a mated pair, so no worry about fighting. thanks
your welcome. it seems like you know what your doing. at least your makeing a plan before just adding whatever catches your eye. when you get your full list togather let me know. until the lates and dont have to much fun
Old 05/04/2005, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

actually it will all depend on ur firefish. i bought a purp firefish and hes been in my tank for about 3 days he comes our all the time. but he will go back into his hole whever something gets near. They are very jumpy fish but over time you will see their personality and they will come out when you are looking at the tank.

enjoy ur firefish

also Hlama,

you were saying you will not get a clown unless its a mated pair?

false clowns are the easiest to pair up. i had a little false in my tank and i bought him/her a mate 3 days ago. they paired up right away. if you want a succesful pair just buy another clown thats almost 2 times the size of ur current one.
1 Purp firefish
Green Clown Goby
130w PC lights
Old 05/04/2005, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Mine hide for the 1st month or so...now he is out all the time. Don't worry, you see lots more of your fire goby in time!
Old 05/04/2005, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

are yellow clown goby's pretty much the same as the clown fish? behavior wise? ie. likes to swim around, not shy, curious?
Old 05/05/2005, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tapout
are yellow clown goby's pretty much the same as the clown fish? behavior wise? ie. likes to swim around, not shy, curious?
no. well kinda. they hang on the rock. but swim through it. hard to explain in words. they also like to play in polyups and stuff like that. they are not shy at all. they often swim in the open if no aggressive are around. they are very cool little fish IMO
Old 05/05/2005, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

you were saying you will not get a clown unless its a mated pair?

no what i said was

i would not get a pair of clowns unless they are a mated pair (can be hard to get). they will fight in that size tank.

he has a 20gal. thats too small if he wants other fish as well. you got lucky. but 9out 10 times they will fight. if you get a big one and small one that would help for sure with submission of the smaller one. but if he intends on getting more fish it will be over crowded and the arrgestion will start and the older they get the worst it gets.but he might get lucky try it see what happens. can always take one out.
Old 05/05/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

I know this doesn't really relate to your goby hiding but in general most fist when first put in the tank will be kinda shy until they get fully used to there surroundings and everything. It took my sixline wrasse almost a week before it ventured out more and she's all over the place now. I also have a Gold Stripe Maroon clown in there who was the 1st on in the tank and is pretty good sized and those two are best of friends as long as the sixline stays away from the GSM's cave and frogspawn. They are always swimming together and no fights for food or anything.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Spike2 (as my son named him) graced us with his presence last night for a minute. We were taking bets on how long he would stay out.
Patience Patience Patience....that's what I keep telling myself
Old 05/05/2005, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

ddrap patients is a good thing keep it up. when time comes he will come out and you will be rewarded.

hlama- i dont think it is hard at all. this is the second time i have tried this in my tank. its a 20 long as soon as put the large one in no fighting occured at all. mabe i lucked out twice, i have 4 fish in the tank and im running good so far.
1 Purp firefish
Green Clown Goby
130w PC lights
Old 05/07/2005, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

So my fire goby and pistol shrimp are living in the same cave. I guess I won't be getting a yellow watchman goby.