Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/20/2005, 11:32 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Talking New 400 Gallon Display: 700 Gallon System

Hello All!

My 400 gallon baby will be arriving this week..... The tank is an all glass Flat Back Hexagon measuring: 84" x 30 " x 36 " Tall. This will be an in-wall Tank that will be viewed from two Rooms. Because the tank is separating two rooms there was no way to create an adjacent Fish Tank Room. As a result my Fish Tank Room is located in the garage directly under the Tank. The Chiller will be located on the outside of the house to minimize heat build up in the garage.

The Tank will be a combination of soft and hard Corals. Here are the initial specs:

System Volume:

Main Display Tank 400 Gallons
180 Gallon Refugium - Running Since August 2004
55 Gallon Refugium - Running Since August 2003
75 Gallon Sump - Running Since August 2004
30 Gallon Sump - Running Since August 2003

Circulation:

2 - Iwaki MD100RLT pumps (2000 gph each)
1 - Sequence Hammerhead (5800 gph running OceansMotions 8 way Closed loop system)

Filter & Lighting

1 MTC 1000 skimmer
1 MTC 250 skimmer
6 - 400 W MH Fixtures

I broke ground this weekend..... Here are some pictures of the stand and fish room. The fish room has been up and running since August 2004 in anticipation of this upgrade.....

I'll be updating as the project progresses.......

Hope you enjoy the posts......

The following shows pictures of the tank view from each room..... First Room is my Kitchen and second room is my family room......

And Family Room View:

Old 03/20/2005, 11:41 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Here are a few Pictures of my Fish Room which is already up and running:

Intake Manifold into fuge:

This is used for semi-automatic water changes... Over the past 2 months I have circulated an additinal 200 gallons in anticipation of the upgrade.....

Old 03/20/2005, 11:49 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Here are some pictures of the aquascaping frame I am making for my rock work.....

I plan on building a series of caves with open center for better viewing and circulation..... The frame is made from 3/4 inch pvc pipe.....

The rocks will be a combination of base rock and Live Rock......

Enjoy......
Old 03/20/2005, 11:52 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

By the way.... This is my old 90 gallon that will be replaced.....
Old 03/21/2005, 01:51 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Looks like an exciting undertaking!
Old 03/21/2005, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

Looking good like the rock frame! Should look really good with LR mixed into it.
Old 03/21/2005, 04:29 AM
Registered pineapple

very cool!
Old 03/21/2005, 09:36 AM
180 gallon money pit

that is some nice looking rockwork
Old 03/21/2005, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Very interesting!
Please explain your semi-automatic waterchanger...
Old 03/21/2005, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

I really like the rock work! Can't wait to see it setup
And in your eyes I see
What's on my mind
You've got me wild
Turned around inside
-DMB
Old 03/21/2005, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Is that a Pinnatus Bat you have in that tank? Thought they were impossible to keep? Curious how you got that guy to eat.
2-250W MH, 6-54W T5's
Chiller etc.....
And a very large electric bill
Old 03/21/2005, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

why 2 fuges and 2 sumps?
Old 03/21/2005, 06:59 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Thanks Guys...... After reading about so many system designs here on RC it is much easier to set up your own and learn from other's experiences.

Tang Man

For semi-automatic water changes the return flow from my sump can be re-directed into my sewer drain. This is achieved by opening a ball valve and partial return flow from my sump is pumped out of the house. Next, salt water contained in the 70 gallon stock tanks can be gravity fed directly into my sump to replace water that has been pumped out. This is accomplished by opening the ball valves at the bottom of the stock tanks. A RO/DI unit is used to fill up the stock tanks to the desired volume of water change. With this set up I can perform a 30 - 40 gallon water change in under 10 minutes by flipping two valves..... (See attached schematic) This can all be done without shutting down my display tank pumps. Also, the stock tanks can be used to increase water volume of the system by utilizing return from sump and overflows installed at the top of the stock tanks.

Very straight forward... I thought of fully automating this but the work to automate is not worth the few minutes less it would take for a water change. Before this set up water changes took a few hours......

Old 03/21/2005, 07:09 PM
Moved On

Is that African Flame Back a total beoootch? Was it the last thing you put in? Mine harasses EVERYTHING I add to my tank. How does it get along with the Copperband?
Old 03/21/2005, 07:09 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

JBarnes

Before purchasing the Bat Fish I made sure it was eating at the LFS the fish was purchased. I watched the fish for about two weeks before purchasing....... What fish can resist a dinner of Mysis shrimp and Cyclopeeze?

Julio

Prior to going wityh the upgrade I set up the 55 gallon refugium and 30 gallon sump to accomodate my 90 gallon reef. Currently the 55 gallon refugium is redundant but I did not want to loose the tank maturity when I set up the 180 gallon fuge this past summer.

As far as two sumps and skimmers... I plan on using my old 90 gallon as a Quarenteen and Grow out tank. Also for hyposalinity as needed. To run in QT mode I close a valve that connects my two sumps and tuen on the MTC 250 skimmer. This will allow me to run the 90 on a separate loop and QT all incoming inhabitants..... When not in QT mode I will open the valve connecting the two sumps and turn off the MTC 250 skimmer......

Tank should be in this Wednesday or Thursday...... This is fun.....
Old 03/21/2005, 07:17 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by grreefer
Is that African Flame Back a total beoootch? Was it the last thing you put in? Mine harasses EVERYTHING I add to my tank. How does it get along with the Copperband?
It's funny... All inhabitants get along very well..... I even had four Anthias before they died when I lost power for three hours..... The only thing is as the tank stands now I cannot add any more fish. Any new fish (Reef Safe) added is beaten to death by the Flame back and surprisingly Maroon clowns...... Last year I tried adding a Flame Angel... The poor fish did not last 5 hours before it was torn apart...... I'll probably add all the mature fish last to the new tank.......
Old 03/22/2005, 01:00 PM
Wire Doc

wow,more pics as soon as you can.
Old 03/22/2005, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Great thread, looks like you know your stuff.
Old 03/22/2005, 02:15 PM
10 & over club

Awesome Job,

Keep the pics coming
Old 03/22/2005, 05:17 PM
Wire Doc

another thought comes to mind , why dont you run water thru your 3/4 pvc wich holds your rock work together, kinda like a large spray bar all over your tank.It seems like a waste to have all that pvc inside the tank and no water running thru it, just a thought.
Old 03/23/2005, 05:06 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by crescent1
another thought comes to mind , why dont you run water thru your 3/4 pvc wich holds your rock work together, kinda like a large spray bar all over your tank.It seems like a waste to have all that pvc inside the tank and no water running thru it, just a thought.
Crescent:

Good idea.....I was actually thinking of adding water flow through the frame....

I'll probably play around with attaching a pump to one end of the frame and drilling some holes to accomodate flow...... Just wondering how much flow I can get to circulate through such a large frame..... Currently measures about 5 and a half feet long bu 30 inches tall.....

By the way, the new Tank is now scheduled to be delivered on Friday.....

Luckily I'm off from work on Friday.......
Old 03/23/2005, 05:06 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by crescent1
Crescent:

Good idea.....I was actually thinking of adding water flow through the frame....

I'll probably play around with attaching a pump to one end of the frame and drilling some holes to accomodate flow...... Just wondering how much flow I can get to circulate through such a large frame..... Currently measures about 5 and a half feet long bu 30 inches tall.....

By the way, the new Tank is now scheduled to be delivered on Friday..... Well actually I'll be working on things I like rather than the job......

Luckily I'm off from work on Friday.......
Old 03/23/2005, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

More I need more coral crack LOFLOL
Pictures please
Old 03/25/2005, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

That is a cool arch. Did the pvc bend any in the middle?
Old 03/25/2005, 12:11 PM