Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/17/2005, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Mike's new Pico....

Hey Reefers,

I've started a documentary on my pico just like I did for my 12 gallon DX cube. I'm going to be running this tank in my office at work. I just couldn't resist when I finally found a pico tank that fits my Coralife hood.

The aquarium is glass and I believe it's smaller than the melody edition since the hood I have is only 9 inchs in length and 18 watts of power 50/50.

I'm running as filtration my Aqua Clear 20, with 1/2 unit chemipure and sponge. So far no heater, since I believe the light will give good balance during the day.

I'll have to see how it drops in the night. I have live sand and catalina water.

Any thoughts on what would look good in my tank, would be glady taken.

Mike

P.S
This tank will be known as the Mbaby tank series, hehehe

Old 03/17/2005, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

Looking good! Are you going to keep the light like that? What are your stocking plans?
Old 03/17/2005, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

Softies =D

Looks great so far got everything ready to go =)

Keep us updated!
Old 03/17/2005, 06:39 AM
Hermit with Featherduster

I think that tank would look great with some zoos and polyps, maybe a ricordea or two if the lighting is enough. Either a sexy or an anenome shrimp would add some movement to the tank. Keep the pics coming. Looks good so far, Skip
Old 03/17/2005, 09:22 AM
cubed

Have you started up that AC 20 yet Mike? Seems to me that in that tiny tank, the flow is going to kick up that sand.

Pretty sharp looking with that Coralife hood over it. It looks like it was made just for that tank. Where'd you find that tank?
Old 03/17/2005, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Hi Sugar,

The tank is only $12.99 and the AC 20 is perfect, it has a current setting plus or minus lever. I have it full blast and here is what the tank looks like with water and light. Also see how clear it looks with the 1/2 unit of chemi-pure...

Mike

Old 03/17/2005, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

where did you get the tank? How many gallons is it?

Thanks
Keep up the good work!
Touch.
Old 03/17/2005, 11:52 AM
cubed

That is just too cool!
Old 03/17/2005, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Need some help picking up a heater for this tank. During the day I know I'll be fine with the lights giving off heat. But how about in the night? I saw this mini heater at Dr. Fosters:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...87&N=2004+2020

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, I like the fact that you can conceal this heater in the gravel or against the glass behind my live rock.

However, I don't see a temp gauge setting, and under more information, it says remove heater during the summer days if temp get to 76 degrees. I'm a little lost. :?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 03/17/2005, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

how bout one of those undertank repitle heater pads things. im not sure if you can control temp or not but they carry them at most petcos and what not so you can check it out
Old 03/17/2005, 02:07 PM
cubed

A couple of people over at RDO have used that heater. It isn't adjustable, but it will bring the temp in the tank up a couple of degrees if your ambient room temp is under 76. It's pretty inexpensive, so you could give it a try. Or, you could go with this little submersible and stick it in the HOB. http://petsolutions.com/product.asp_...act+Heaters_E_ It has an adjustable setting.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Probably is just set at 76 or something. Walmart has small plastic heaters that are set at 77 i believe with no guage. You might look into the marineland 50w heaters, they are like 6" tall. Might fit diagonally in the filter.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

is that enough light to support any kind of coral??
Old 03/17/2005, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Clown,

At the depth of the tank and the coverage of light, you are increasing a light ratio on the coral. So you can get away with what most would not recommend.

I've got 15 years in reefing, and do know that it's not just light, it's many other factors. But if I were to have this hood over a taller tank, forget it I would only have mushrooms.

This tank is going to have a lot of neat things, just don't know yet, but stay tooned for some really neat surprises on this thread of mine.

Have you seen my other two cubes? I have a thread here with lots of pictures for you to enjoy.

Mike

Last edited by mikeguerrero; 03/17/2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03/17/2005, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

o ok thank sweet tank btw im gunna be following this thread
Old 03/18/2005, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Im going to follow this thread too. I have the exact same light and am looking to do a small nano like this. Where did you get the tank and how many gallons is it?
Old 03/18/2005, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Sugar,

Thanks for the heads up on the mini heater I inquired on. I will not purchase it since I saw it has no thermastat and it would require a very expensive thermal controller to regulate it.

The one you are posting about is the best bet dollar for dollar and it can be concealed behind rocks once I start building.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 03/18/2005, 01:34 PM
cubed

Yeah, that's where I have mine. Can't even tell it's in the tank and it's so small that it doesn't take up much room at all. Mine's been running over a year and has kept the tank at a steady 80 degrees.
Old 03/18/2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Magnolia,

Just a small heads up regarding your heater. You stated that you have owned it just over one year. Please change it out to another one as soon as possible, let me tell you why.

I ran a 6 gallon eclipse mini reef and never changed out my heater. I was told by my LFS that good practices are to replace it once a year, due to wear and tear especially in a salt water tank.

I didn't listen and thought, man these things can run forever, I left on a 2 day vacation only to come home and see my entire tank cooked.

The heater would have only been 16 dollars and instead I lost everything in my tank, over 300 dollars.

Just my experience and I would not want that to happen to your nice tank sugar, you have such a nice setup and I never get tired of re-clicking your pics every now and then for viewing pleasure

Just like incysor says about lights needing replacing every six months, heaters are notorius for thermalstat malfunction, they click on and never click off

Mike
Old 03/18/2005, 04:34 PM
cubed

I actually had a heater malfunction in my old minibow. Temp was 96 degrees. Thankfully, I only lost a couple of SPS and an LPS. Everything else survived, strangely enough.

I have to order a few things from petsolutions so I may as well toss a new heater in the basket too. Thanks Mike.
Old 03/18/2005, 11:45 PM
Moved On

WHAT!! Oh man now im scared. Are we talking about every heater on the market or just these mini nano heaters?
Old 03/19/2005, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Hey Reefers,

Here is a continuous documentary on my pico. I picked up 1.5 lbs of premium live rock from Atlantis Aquarium in Fremont.

I have taken several pics of the rock so you can see the quality pieces I picked up.

The live rock only cost me $11.99. Now I will be monitoring the nitrogen cycle just in case the rock isn't cured. I made sure to ask for the cured rock, but you can never be safe.

Mike

Old 03/19/2005, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

thats awesome!! i love the way u have the rock set up, and that light is great, it can take tons of abuse . i have one over my refugium on 24/7 and i drop it all the time by accedent when i go in my sump, just wont break haa, gl with the tank!
Old 03/19/2005, 06:26 AM
Hipster dufuss

WOW..That rock looks fantastic!..so does the tank.Awsome setup Mike.I can't wait to see how it all comes together
Dual 250w MH XM 10k's
( \ / )
(O.o)
( >< )
/_|_\
Old 03/19/2005, 08:54 AM
cubed

Great scaping Mike. I really lke the cove area.

You still haven't said where you found that little tank. Holding out on us?