Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Aquarium and Coral Reef Organization of Sarasota (Acros)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/11/2005, 05:06 PM
RC Mod

Anybody have a seine net ?

I went seining with Neil in the backwaters of the intracostal and found some interesting critters. My favorite the green shrimp....

It would be fun to go out again .

Agu
Old 03/11/2005, 08:45 PM
Moved On

Where can you buy a sein net? Are they expensive? My wife and I were talking about doing that recently. But, since we're new to the area we feel theres a lot we dont know about safety.

Did you just jump in? Did you wear waiters? Did you sein from boats? Tell me some more about it. Is this a stupid question? - what about gators? Its all new to us so we have a lot of quesions.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 03/11/2005, 08:53 PM
DIYer

u can get them at wal mart. Jump in the water (it takes 2 people) and drag it. Me and my friend have cuaght: puffers, rock fish, seahorses,green shrimp, regular shrimp (which we used for bait), lots of file fish, angel fish (black and white stipes like a sheepshead), baby trout, and some unknowns. Its lots of fun. The nets r about $20, u dont need poles to use them. Just tie the strings together and put ur foot down and drag it.
Old 03/11/2005, 10:15 PM
RC Mod

Dave,

If we can get a net for $20 are you up for it ? Neil took me to the shallows of the Intracoastal, we waded out to about waist deep and dragged the seine to shore. And it's not a stupid question , I had the same questions/concerns.

Gators don't go in saltwater, that would be crocodiles .

Agu
Old 03/11/2005, 10:32 PM
Moved On

Sure! I'm up for it. I'll try to check around for the net tomorrow.

Thats good about the gators.

.... oh and do we or dont we have crocodiles?

I should know this but I kind of remember hearing about re-introduction of crocs somewhere and dont remember if it was in FL.

Dare to be Daring!

Dave
Old 03/12/2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I'm game and i have a boat!!!

Let me know
Nathan
Old 03/12/2005, 01:24 PM
RC Mod

Nathan,

We don't need a boat but a third hand is always welcome.

Here's beginning seining,

http://www.njmsc.org/Education/Lesso..._Seine_Net.htm

Agu
Old 03/12/2005, 02:11 PM
DIYer

get sets of doubles and seine the whole river!!!!
Old 03/12/2005, 08:30 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by sandman12
get sets of doubles and seine the whole river!!!!
James,

There is a legal net size so that might not be the best plan .

However Dave and I have preliminary plans for next Saturday. The only time I've gone was behind the north beach on Manasota key, anybody know a better spot?

Also, does anybody know the regs so we don't end up in jail ? I've read the regs but haven't seen much regarding seining .

Anybody else want in ??

Agu
Old 03/12/2005, 09:04 PM
DIYer

do a google search for florida saltwater collecting regulations or something and u will find that u can 10-15 items (around there) excluding rock and some speacial speacies. I ment u can get the 20' nets and a bunch of people and seine the whole river .

I always go in the intercoastal (cortez). Best spots are those with alot of grass. If u have a boat, wait till next crab season (Or u could try now) and throw out 5 traps. MY friends uncle (commercial fisherman) has gotten anglers, octopus (lots this year), and some other cool fish and mantis shrimp.

James
Old 03/13/2005, 09:10 AM
Moved On

Check out this site for the tides. I dont know the area well enough to determine which section to go to in this area. I'll leave that to you guys.

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...gulfsites.html

Dave
Old 03/13/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

What about south Lido??? I have fished there a lot and there are tons of fish on the grass flats. It is close to the pass so it gets great current flow. The area is where the canoe trails are.

Nathan
Old 03/13/2005, 02:18 PM
RC Mod

Went scouting for spots and had a realization . Red Tide is out there now, not sure I want anything from the Gulf in my tanks until that clears.

Agu
Old 03/13/2005, 11:17 PM
Moved On

Ive been reading about the red tide and asked a few Drs about it. They claim that it doesnt cause any long term health problems. The diatoms that cause it are normal variety. We probably have them in our tanks right now. Our tanks dont have the conditions needed to cause a red tide bloom. If thats true then we dont have to worry... if thats true.

The red tide seems to be all over the world. Do you think that coral and fish harvesters stop collecting in Asia because of it? Id say its doubtful. They probably keep on collecting and selling to American distributors during their red tides. How many of our store bought corals came from red tde affected areas? Who knows?
Old 03/14/2005, 08:16 AM
Member ACROS Reef Club

When we were in High school marine biology we always seined off of City Island in Sarasota..Also the kayak launch at South Lido there is a large grass flat that probally contains tons of interesting stuff...Cool project guys, Let the Red tide pass and the water warm alittle and this would be fun day for a meeting.
Wahwoo-No Crocs up here, down in the everglades there are Saltwater Crocs...By the way do not let the Gators scare you, If you ever want to get up close to them let me know. we kayak some rivers that are loaded..
Old 03/14/2005, 10:12 PM
Moved On

Whats up Scott?

We should talk about that stuff. Im itching to get into outdoor activities and get to know the wildlife and natural settings. Im up for just about anything. But.... getting close to gators? I just imagine falling in and being ripped to shreds.

I guess its just a matter of learning from those with experience. I knew the mountains where I came from like the back of my hand. People from the city would be scared of the forests because of the bears and cougar and rattlesnakes. I had enough knowledge about them not to be scared in their settings. This area is new to me so I want to get out there but Im apprehensive about what I dont know around here.

Dave
Old 03/14/2005, 11:35 PM
RC Mod

Dave ,

Change the location in your ID, you're a a Floridian now. We'll get you out there slopping in the muck.

Agu
Old 03/15/2005, 08:00 AM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Trust me Dave Common Sense goes along way...The most dangerous things in this area is the roads and the sun....Catcha at the next meeting...Scotty
Old 03/15/2005, 08:33 PM
Moved On

Ok, Scott, you lead.....

The roads are pretty bad. Traveling to Ft Meyers lately Ive seen wrecks almost every day. How do you flip over two cars on a straight road in a city? That was this afternoon. This morning Rte 75 had a dump Truck and an 18 wheeler colide and flip speading sand and gravel all over the N. bound lane. Thankfully I was heading south.

Agu, lets catch them critters! I should change my ID. Last night I spent an hour trying to size down a picture small enough to be an avatar. Then i gave up. I had the picture so small you could hardley see it and it was still bigger than 150 x 150 pixels. Whats the trick to that?
Old 03/15/2005, 09:57 PM
Moved On

Here is a helpful link. It tells all we need to know about collecting fish and corals and it mentions seining as a legal collection method.

http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm
Old 03/15/2005, 10:09 PM
Moved On

Water Temp:

http://www.landbigfish.com/watertemp...ures.cfm?ID=12
Old 03/15/2005, 10:22 PM
Moved On

Idea for future meeting - R E E F S - local

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/col/project..._Westside.html

Has any one been to these? I also saw two reefs off of Venice Beach on an areal photo. One is swimming distance from shore.
Old 03/16/2005, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

I think that one is a mile off. I have heard of people swimming to it but not me! I have fished out there and there are some big fishes in that there puddle.
But, thats where my boat would come in. I can not scuba, due to the lung thing. But i can fish.

There is a really nice area of grass flat near stump pass but you have to get to it by boat.

I like the activities at the meetings! Let do it soon!!!!!

Nathan

PS I thought that Red Tide was a "thing" in the water that absorbes oxygen and the fish die of the lack???
Old 03/16/2005, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Starostecki
Florida reefs

Gasparilla Island has a reef off the beach. This place looks great and is only an hour from my house. Doesn't sound like its protected. Anyone ever dive down there?
Its not sein stuff, but looks awesome! I posted this a few months ago in the SCUBA forum.
Old 03/16/2005, 10:04 PM
DIYer

Wahoo- that link with the regulations was the one i was talking about. Good link.