Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2005, 02:18 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question about X10

Hi all. Great forum! I've been lurking for a couple of months - soaking up as much as I can. Now, I have a question someone may be able to help me with. Reading thru various threads, it seems that some of you manage to control MH and Flourescent lights using X10. The X10 website says this can't be done. Can anyone shed some light on the subject .....

Thanks
Old 02/18/2005, 05:51 PM
In over my head!

Perhaps they're referring to dimming functionality? An X10 appliance module is just a fancy remote control relay. You can hook any device to it, as long as you don't exceed the current rating (10A I think). There's no reason why you couldn't use this to control your lights.

Lamp modules are a different story, they're rated for lower wattages, and have built in dimmers.

Personally, I don't care to use X10 anywhere near my tank. In my experience, X10 is a great convenience (I do use them on lamps and lights at home), but is not reliable enough to trust in controlling your tank. Many times I have to press a button more than once to achieve the desired function. What happens if you're away and your lights stick on for 36 hours?
Old 02/18/2005, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info Jeff. I didn't realize X10 was so unreliable. Definitely gives me something to think about. Sounded too good to be true.
Old 02/18/2005, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

It's hit or miss with X10. I am one of the lucky ones and have had very reliable operation from my Aquacontroller, but it has only been 2 months or so. Others have to spend a lot of time tweaking their setup with noise filters and phase couplers, but can eventually get it reliable.

One nice thing about the Aquacontroller is that it resends the X10 commands every few minutes, to make sure that a device turns off/on when it is supposed to. This is to prevent exactly the problem you describe, and I wouldn't use X10 on my tank without this safety feature.
Old 02/18/2005, 07:04 PM

A repeated set of commands sounds like it could increase reliability. Programming is my day job, so putting together a GUI and including "serial ONs and OFFs" wouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know what type of X10 module is used to turn, say a 250 watt MH on and off? Can't be the normal lamp module, can it?
Old 02/18/2005, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

I use a normal appliance module, which is good for up to 500 watts - $12.95 from Radio Shack. The only thing I bought a special module for was my chiller, because it pulls more than 500 watts. For that, I used one of the outlet replacement modules, which is good for up to 15 amps.
Old 02/18/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

For fluorescents, I use an appliance module with the trace from pin 7 on the IC cut so that they don't try to turn back on after they get turned off.
Old 02/18/2005, 08:57 PM

lkleinow - Interesting, do you have any documentation on what needs to be done, or is it straight forward.

So it looks like I should be able to put together a control program to handle MH & Fluorescent lights, pumps, etc. Sunrise, sunset, and the phases of the moon should be no problem.
Old 02/18/2005, 09:18 PM
RC Admin

trapassi,

I've used x10's for almost 2 years now controlling my entire system via the AquaController. I've had one x10 module fail in that time so I'm very happy with them. Many of my closest friends use X10's..most with an Aquacontroller....some just with the X10 software as the timer.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 02/18/2005, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I too have been using x10 for almost two years now, I am using it on a Macintosh with some fatastic software called indigo and I have had a few bumps in the reliability road but with time they have all ironed out. But I use it for temp control, lighting, smoke alarm, water alarm, and soon ph i hope.
tren
Old 02/18/2005, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

I have an Octopus controller and use the thing to run 5 tanks.I use some 220 volt ones and most 110 volt.I turn on lights , pumps , heaters ,a chiller and I love them.
Old 02/18/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Trapassi:

I use X10 modules on an Aquacontroller and they have worked flawlessly. I made sure I cut the trace for operating flourescents as Ikleinow advises. Here is the link on how to do it. See answer to question No. 4

http://www.neptunesys.com/hardwareFAQ.htm
Old 02/18/2005, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

I use x10 as well with an Aquacontroller and have had zero problems.
Old 02/18/2005, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trapassi
So it looks like I should be able to put together a control program to handle MH & Fluorescent lights, pumps, etc. Sunrise, sunset, and the phases of the moon should be no problem.
This is certainly possible and pretty cheap to do with just the PC software. What you gain with the Aquacontroller is the ability to measure temperature, pH and ORP and act on those inputs. This allows you to do things like shut off your lights if the temperature gets too high, or shut off your calcium reactor if the pH drops too low.
Old 02/18/2005, 11:30 PM

Seems like there is a very positive opinion of the AquaController by those who use it. Does everyone think its worth the investment?

BTW - thanks to all for the great feedback.