Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2005, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Syracuse museum exibit?

Hey guys I had an idea. I have recently began volunteering at the Museum of science and technology in downtown Syracuse. I was think how neat it would be to have a reeftank at the museum. I think this is something that could be put together and would be a great way to educate kids and adults about reefs and our hobby. I am just wondering if there is any in the Syracuse area that would interested at all in a project like this. I have not talked to the directors at the Museum about this but I think they would be resceptive.

What we would need to make it work:
1. Volunteers who would be willing to help maintaine the tank. There is already about 200 volunteers who could be taught to do some of the basic stuff like feeding. There would have to be a stable of volunteers that are reefers to make sure it is kept up right. You could probably get by with having it checked on once or twice a week by a group of volunteers who would not only check on the tank but could teach the vistors about the tank and reefs in general. Remember there is already 200 volunteers that can be taught to do a lot of stuff.

2. You need tank and other supplies. I dont know how receptive the museum would be to buying all the equipment but maybe cooperate dontations of stuff could help with this. Maybe Oceanic would be will to give a tank to the museum with credit given to them? You could see how you might be able to get a lot of stuff dontated.

3. Livestock, this would be the easy part, I would buy a couple of percs to put in the tank. This would be a great thing for a local fish store to do also.

Why do this?

1. It would be great way to educate people about the ecosystem of a coral reef and just how awsome they are. If people better understand it they may be more interested in protecting it.

2. It is a great way to give back to the community.

3. Its fun!

What else would we need?

I think we would have to work with the museum staff to develope displays which they of course can do.

So what do you guys think? I am sure there are many things I have not covered, of course there would have to be a core of people interested in putting in some free time to make this happen. First I need to know if there is that kind of interest, if so then I will talk with them about this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Mike
Old 01/08/2005, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

tank

Mike, I would give it a lot of thought before starting a project like this. Maybe you should talk to Dave Playfair on his thoughts , he was greatly involved in the zoo tank. I think it would be a great idea. I live about a half hour away , I could help on lining up some donations . You should do a search on the Rochester Zoo Tank. RickM
Old 01/08/2005, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Rick,

Thanks for the reply, I am sure we would need some input but I was not thinking of a zoo size exhibit. (not that his input wouldnt be helpful) I was thinking something under 150gallons. This I think would be enough to catch peoples attention, of course there would need to be other material to complete the exhibit. If there were enough people involved it could be fun to do.
Old 01/16/2005, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Rick is right... factor in the human nature thing, happens all the time. It's a great idea and tons of people want to help out or be a part of it in the beginning...then when the work starts...no-one helps. It's hard enough to keep your own tank let alone a display.
I feel Dave Playfair has had alot plopped onto his lap and he deserves ALOT of credit for his hard work. Also anyone who has donated their time to the zoo tank.
Is there any pics around on reef central showing the tank?
That brings up another idea...how about displaying large pics at the museum? No maintenance involved there!!! George
Old 01/16/2005, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I agree it is not the easiest thing to do. One of the main reasons I thought the idea was possible was due the already large number of volunteers who are at the museum everyday who would be able to do daily maintaince. I think an exhibit without the tank would be interesting to but would have much less of an effect.

Well it was just an idea maybe someday there will be a group with the interest to get it done. It seems like a great way to teach about reefs to others, which we so often use as a way to justifie our hobby. It would be a great way to give back.
Old 01/17/2005, 12:51 PM
m0delgator

Mike,

If you talk to the museum and want to persue this, let me know. I'm definitely willing to pitch in.
Old 01/17/2005, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

der_wille

I was waiting to see what kind of response there might be before I talked to the museum. I think they would be interested, they have kept live animals before mainly reptiles. I guess they could say no but I think if they did not have to pay for all the equipment then they would be very interested. The museum is going through a rebuilding process and in 2007 will just about triple their exibit space.

I realize there may be other interested people not on this board, if anyone knows of someone who would be interested in doing this please pass the word.

I think if their is 4 or 5 that are really interested then it might be worth persuing. Maybe once it got going we would even find more that are interested. This would be a big project, it will take a lot of letter writing and possibly even a grant proposal to some funding body. I am sure the museum would have resources to help with that.

If anyone else is interested please let me know.

Thanks

Mike
Old 01/17/2005, 04:50 PM
I have no catchy title

Count me interested!
Old 01/17/2005, 05:41 PM
Bang

Interested...
Old 01/31/2005, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Ok,

I heard from the MOST today and they sound very interested, this has gone all the way to the president of the MOST so it sounds like they are taking it serious.

So this is another call for anyone that might be interested in seeing this thing through. I think a realistic expectation for helping this thing would be one day a month after it is up and running. If we have more people interested then it would be less. If we could get twelve people intersted then it would be only once every 3 months that one person might need to check on the tank. I am assuming that a once a week look over by a experience reefer should be enough with the regular volunteers doing the daily routine stuff.

So this is what I have

Rick: interested in helping with dontations

der_willi:, flanders and Jaffa all interested. Please let me know if this is not the case anymore.

Otherwise is there anyone else interested?

Thanks

Mike
Old 02/04/2005, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Ok,

There are 5 brave souls who have decided to jump on this. Those that are not so interested in being a active part in the construction of this can still help out by give input on different aspects of this. It will all be appreciated.

I have a meeting with the president of the MOST on the 11th so I will know more then. However there are several issues I think we can discuss now.

First, how should this thing be funded. I think that some well written letters to some of the companies may be productive. There may also be some science foundations that may consider a grant. Any good grant writers out there? Donations could also be helpful, if anyone has old stuff that they want to dontate to the museum I bet you could get a tax write off.

Second question is what about the big picture of the whole display. Size of tank? etc... I was thinking something with length would be best for viewing. Something about 8ft long should allow for multiple viewers. Of course we will need lots of info for the surrounding display.

Your input is apprecitated. I anyone is interested in jump aboard and helping do this please let me know.

Thanks

Mike
Old 02/09/2005, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

During the summer I will be back in syracuse and willing to help.

I think the biggest help you can expect to get would be from the local stores. Many of the people viewing the exhibit will be in state people and If there were small ads for these places on or near the tank I bet these folks would be willing to donate.

I know that Fairmount Aquarium is just finishing a new expansion which I believe is largely marine. Might be and excellent oppertunity for them to get the word out.

My only concern is that children will view the tank and obviusly want one like it. I think there needs to be a careful explanation of the time and knowledge that goes into keeping any type of marine environment. Perhaps there could be advertisements or references to forums like this and the upstate reef society to help inform people who want one of there own.

Best of luck on Friday.
Old 02/09/2005, 02:31 PM
I have no catchy title

Mike, I would be happy to help with any writing that needs to be done, including grant writing. I write and edit for a living. We should brainstorm what the letters should say and where they should go.

I think an eight-foot long display would be impressive and allow for plenty of viewers.
Old 02/10/2005, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Bill thanks for your interest, I sent you a pm. I think local stores are a start but I have not had much success with some in the area when it comes to stuff like this. It could be a significant cost for some stores that are barely in the black. I think there is a place to pursue these stores though. It would be great for them to give to livestock. I dont see fairmount donating a 300g tank but then we could always ask. I think builders like Oceanic might be more likely to do such a thing, or maybe give a deep discount.

Flanders, I am starting to drop some emails to some tank suppliers to see if they would even consider helping. Of course we could not only write tank builders but companies that make pumps, sumps, etc..I think if they show interest then we could write them a formal letter. I wonder if there are any science foundations that give grants for stuff like this?

Mike
Old 02/11/2005, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Well the meeting went well, the museum looks like it will be able to foot about half of the bill for the project.

Mike
Old 02/11/2005, 11:21 PM
Bang

Mike, by chance have you seen the area where MOST wants to tank to go? This will have a significant bearing on what type of tank we do.

Court
Old 02/12/2005, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

Yes I have seen the area, room should not be an issue. There will not be great access to water but it can be worked out.
Old 02/12/2005, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

What do you guys think about a glass tank over acrylic? I know it would have a lot less scratches but will it be durable enough?
Old 02/12/2005, 05:15 PM
Bang

Acrylic + children = mega scratches. I think glass is the ticket, even if just for being more scratch resistant.
Old 02/13/2005, 12:57 AM
Dragonet Whisperer

I know it's a bit late but I would be willing to help out.

As far as the glass vs acrylic discussion is concerned, I second the glass idea. Since there are only 6 of us now, many inexperienced volunteers will be needed to help with daily maintenance, which is a situation just begging for some nice, deep, algae filled scratches right down the middle of the tank.
Old 02/13/2005, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

NFed16,

You are not too late, I will be glad to add you to the list if you send your email address. Anyone else who wants to get involved just pm your email and I will add you to the list. We do a lot of discussing between the group through the emails. I think we should really consider glass also. I dont want to go cheap on the tank. I think we can cut corners in a lot of places but not the tank.

Mike
Old 02/14/2005, 09:51 AM
I have no catchy title

Another vote for glass, and not going cheap on the tank! I couldn't agree more. That is fantastic news about the funding.
Old 10/02/2006, 12:17 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

Any news?
Old 10/02/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...99#post8262399

Check out this thread

Mike