Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2005, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Little crab on tridacna's mantle

About a week ago I spotted a little crab on the mantle of my clam. It didn't seem to be eating the clam or even bothering it. The crab is about 1/4" or less, whitish, looks like a baby emerald crab. The next day the clam closed up with about a 1/4" of mantle exposed. It has been closed like that since then. Every once in awhile I see the little crab emerging from the clam but doesn't come out. I've seen the clam try to 'blow' the crab out, I think, but with no success. If I go near the mantle to try and snatch the crab the clam closes up. I feel helpless. What can I do?
Old 01/03/2005, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

it might be an acro crab or an anemone cracb, if is not huritng it then leave it alone ia m sure there is some sort of simbiosys going on.
Old 01/05/2005, 01:58 AM
Team RC Member

It sounds like the crab might be lost. Try looking up Trapezia and see if it looks similar. You may want to place a coral next to the clam and see if the crab moves. Do you have any acro or branching coral frags you could place very close to the excurrent siphon of the clam?

Kevin
Old 01/05/2005, 04:56 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Might be a tiny porcelain crab too.
Does it look like this crab;

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 03/09/2005, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry everybody, but I never got notification of you replies. I just tried looking again and there were the replies. Strange.
Anyway, 2 months later and the little crab is still there. The clam seems fine, but contracts its mantle when the little crab sits on it. I suspect the crab lives inside the clam. I'm just going to leave things be. I guess I'd like to know how common this is and has anyone experienced it.
Thanks.
Old 03/09/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Selim, I didn't receive the picture you sent. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Old 03/09/2005, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Without the picture, the opinion is just a guess but there are small white crabs that actually prey on clams. The clam may live for quite some time before dying. I am pretty sure there is a pic in Knop's book so you might want to check it out for a reference.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 03/09/2005, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Volume 4 of Fossa/Nilsen 'The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium' states under Tridacna crocea that the crab Xanthiasia murgiera lives commensally with T. crocea. Does anyone know what that crab looks like? I can't find a picture of it anywhere. Maybe that's the crab cohabitating with my clam.
Jeff, I looked in Knop but didn't find the little crab there.
I'll try to get a picture of my clam's crab