Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Vermont Marine Aquarists (VMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2005, 10:27 AM
Shake and bake!

Float switch topoff...

I'm going to put in an order for a float switch to DIY an auto-topoff system here at the office. Float switches are $6 plus $3 shipping. I didn't know if anyone needs one, or wanted to make a topoff system with me. I have a pretty good idea of how to make an effective and decent topoff.

I'm going to take my chances and run a 1-switch system because of the small tank and the lack of real estate to have two switches floating. For others that want one for their larger tanks, I suggest getting two and running a redundant switch to turn off your pump if your topoff switch gets stuck.

I'm going to get this switch:
http://www.floatswitches.net/floatswitch.html

It's one of the better switches that performs better under 120VAC. Most other cheap ones you see on E-bay are prone to arcing and sticking = flooding. These handle higher amps and voltages and are less prone to arc.

I know a few of you are running reservoir topoffs already, but didn't know if they were DIY'd or not. I use a reef-relief topoff because of its actuated solenoid that takes the 1/4" line from my RODI with autoshutoff... Thus not needing a reservoir or pump. But, since this is at my office, I'm going to need a reservoir to topoff during the weekends and holidays.

So let me know if you want a switch or not, or simply to discuss a topoff system.
Old 01/03/2005, 10:50 AM
Shake and bake!

Or I guess I/we could get one of these and call it a day?
http://www.californiareefs.com/forsale.htm

Not really sure which is the more efficient route... ???
Old 01/03/2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

pm sent.
i'm looking for just a top off switch. not the resivior/container, powerheads or other bells and whistles. LMK what ya wanna do.
Old 01/03/2005, 11:46 AM
Shake and bake!

PM sent back Jonathan.
Old 01/03/2005, 02:01 PM
This function is disabled

Erik I am going to do a top off so if you want I will go in with you if its not to late. I am going to run a solenoid and relay. so will need at least two switches was going to order 4 to make it worth my while.

T

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
Old 01/03/2005, 02:10 PM
Shake and bake!

Ughhhh this ****ing reefcentral...
I just had a long post written out and got a white screen

Hold on, lemme rewrite my ****ing thesis.
Old 01/03/2005, 02:15 PM

http://www.reeffreaks.com/viewtopic....9d63d088714534

I am going to do something like this. Basically a copy of your trick unit.

T

Old 01/03/2005, 02:17 PM
Shake and bake!

Here's a bit of an abridged version:

I haven't put the order in yet. I'm waiting on Jonathan's word as to what he wants to do, because he expressed some interest in making an auto-topoff because he's doing it manually. So, once I hear from him and if I don't hear from anyone else, I will order later this afternoon/evening. I know once I get this tank, I'm going to get impatient and want to set it up ASAP.

Should I put you in for 4 switches then? You just want the bare switches and not the california setup right?

Solenoid and relay huh? How do you plan do set that up out of curiosity? I don't think a solenoid is going to help my office setup much. I was thinking I'd just run a single switch for topoff, but would like to run two, one for redundancy, but I also don't want a bunch of bobbers inside my tank. I wish I could put them in a mechanical filter, but I believe the water level inside those filters remains constant. I was thinking of making a pre-filter box with some teeth for surface skimming, running the inlet of the mechanical filter inside the box and the outlet outside. I believe that I could run my float switches inside the box because if I run it through my head correctly, the water level *should* change inside the prefilter. If this is the case, I think I may fit two switches in there to prevent flooding over my $$$$ dell.
Old 01/03/2005, 02:28 PM

Yeah 4 bare switches from floatswitches.net if that is what you are ordering.

Naw the solenoid wouldn't do you much good that is for going from house pressure. the relay might be something to think about it keeps 120 from going near the tank.

check this out
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Category_Code=

This is what I am thinking about as a topoff pump. Low flow so it won't flood too quick but will still keep up with topoff duties.

check out the reeffreaks site above for the particulars on the solenoid setup. Great thread on a diy setup.

I don't know about putting the switches in a diy aquafuge or something like that it might be something to look into on the nano forum I am not sure if they evap down or not.

T

Old 01/03/2005, 02:51 PM
Shake and bake!

Yep, you're right about the solenoid... Did you get a RODI?

I like the idea of the relay... But wonder if it's really necessary. Does it matter just how much voltage enters the tank? I'd imagine 12v will kill a tank just as easily as 120v. Your window of death may be shortened, and I guess it may be a safety issue. But if you're running a GFCI, wouldn't this solve the safety issue?

I'm just playing devil's advocate. It'd just be $15 or so you wouldn't have to spend on a powerpack.

I'm pretty sure the levels inside those power filters remains constant... But I'm still toying with the prefilter idea. Anybody have any spare sheet acrylic lying around? Actually... I might... I got a dremel for christmas

Oh and here's another more simple DIY thread (I think this one is minus the relay).

http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/foru...?TID=1512&PN=1
Old 01/03/2005, 04:02 PM

i don't know. With so many power heads etc with 120 going through them i really don't know. I don't think 12v will kill you as easily as 120. but I really have no idea. the answer always given is its done to keep the house current away from the tank. I think this is especially an issue with diy jobs like this. screw up a connection drop it in the water. whatever. I don't know all that much about electricity.

Old 01/03/2005, 04:14 PM
Shake and bake!

Why not run a windshield washer pump?
They run off of 12v, so you wouldn't need a relay. They handle washer fluid all the time, and since you'd be running RODI through it, I doubt metal components/corrosion would be a real issue. They're also pretty inexpensive if you get a generic autozone pump and don't pump 300gph. They also are designed for short spurts as well.
Old 01/03/2005, 04:16 PM

Could do that as well. I don't really care about not wiring the relay in, was looking for a wiring challenge to learn a little bit more.

Old 01/03/2005, 04:24 PM
Shake and bake!

Yeah, it looked straight forward enough...
I'm pretty good with a soldering gun and wiring. If you want to put one together, it wouldn't be a problem. I don't know if you have all your components yet. I don't think those solenoids are too cheap though?

I'm hoping to do mine before I setup the MB7, so I'm on an ASAP schedule.

Let me know.
-Erik
Old 01/03/2005, 09:57 PM

Depending on the size of these things I don't think it would be a big deal to mount two in your MB. Because you wouldn't have to mount them in the water so it isn't going to take up much in-tank space.

You could have them hanging from the hood towards the back. Just recreate the diagram on page 3 of the thread I posted above or do it without the relay.

You could always dremel the back glass for an external overflow! that would take a few shots first.

The relay is only $7 at radio shack so it is that $12 for floatswitches and then a pump ($15?) or old powerhead and the power supply ($6). which you should be able to scrounge up around the house. or all-electronics if you didn't mind waiting a week for it and paying shipping. Or even check the reuse place at the dump we find lots of good stuff there.

solenoids are $18 from mcmastercarr.

I am not too bad with the solder ether just not too metally skilled yet with the theory of electricity piece, meaning I couldn't put the top off together with my own prior knowledge. With a schematic I can connect wires and parts with the best of them I owned a volkswagon for many years! LOL thats a associates in wiring degree in itself.

So if/when you want to order the float switches let me know. I can "float" ya da cash.

T

Last edited by tsalter; 01/03/2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01/03/2005, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Re: Float switch topoff...

Quote:
Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN

I'm going to get this switch:
http://www.floatswitches.net/floatswitch.html

These switches have a stainless steel E-clip which is bad. It will rust in your reef.

Just something to consider.
Old 01/03/2005, 10:36 PM

Brad what do you have on your setup? one of those? could coat the clip in epoxy i
guess?

Old 01/03/2005, 10:56 PM
Shake and bake!

You know about volkswagen electrical systems too huh? That's too funny, I had a passat for a while that was a NIGHTMARE. Lights come on and off for various reasons, windshield wipers turning on when you flip the dome light... Stupid stuff like that!

An external overflow would be nuts, but I don't plan on running a sump in my office. I don't think drilling the back glass of the bow for just float switches is really necessary. I would've loved to have done this on my 55 though... I think an internal overflow would be the only way to go, to conceal the mechanical filter straw, and float switches. I think I'm going to give this a try. It doesn't need to be watertight, just something to skim the surface skum and hide the switches.

Anyway, back to the float switches:
You don't need to use the e-clip... You could just wad something up and seal it, or tack a piece of plastic at the bottom. It's only to prevent the float from coming off the spindle.

I'll order them right now... Since I didn't hear from Jonathan, he may have to sit this one out. I'm going to order 2 for myself, 4 for Tom.
Old 01/04/2005, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tsalter
Brad what do you have on your setup? one of those? could coat the clip in epoxy i
guess?
plastic clip
Old 01/04/2005, 08:27 AM
Shake and bake!

I didn't think stainless steel rusted? My fragging tool is made of stainless and it hasn't rusted?
Old 01/04/2005, 09:37 AM

everything metal rusts in saltwater. stainless rusts it just takes longer.

Old 01/04/2005, 09:40 AM
Shake and bake!

Gotcha...
I didn't order last night... Still want me to?
Old 01/04/2005, 09:43 AM

Sure go ahead. Are you going to be in btown this week/end? I figure even if I don't use them right now I will use them in the future.

T

Old 01/04/2005, 09:48 AM
Shake and bake!

Ok... I'm going to order 6.

I might possibly be in B-town. I don't know if they'll come by then though?... I think I may come into town and get an aquaclear if I know the right size. I want to be able to put a 50w heater, some carbon and maybe some chaeto or something in it. I'm thinking the 300 and then either shaving down the impellar to slow down the flow, or just getting a replacement 150 or 200 impellar and putting it in the 300 to reduce flow. So yeah, I should come into town.

I also got a disadvantage gift. cert. Maybe if they have any decent live rock, I may hold a couple pieces.
Old 01/04/2005, 09:54 AM

Cool, even if they aren't here I'll give you the cash ASAP since I am ordering more than you are. I have the mini. it is a bit too small for heater duties. I don't think you have to worry about slowing flow by cutting impellers. you can just stick something in the intake tube to restrict flow. mine always got clogged with chaeto and it slowed it down. not that the mini needed to be slowed. I wouldn't worry about it too much only if you were using sand.

T