Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2000, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Hello,

I just diagnosed my clown with Brooklynella as he has a clody slime coat and white feces hanging out... I immediately gave him a 2 min FW dip... what else should I do?

thanks
Old 09/18/2000, 02:45 PM
Team RC Member

Hi Organic,

According to Joyce Wilkerson in her book, Clownfishes, treatment is a full 15-minute freshwater dip to remove the parasites from the fish. In a fish-only system, one drop of Formalin can be added to each liter of aquarium water to treat the tank. (Formalin is toxic to invertebrates and cannot be used in a reef-tank.)

HTH

Ninong

------------------
Irrational Exuberance!
Old 09/18/2000, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I doubt that the fish would survice a 15 minute dip...though I did a 2 min one and gave him a 45 minute formalin bath... will see...

Old 09/18/2000, 07:34 PM
10 & Over Club

The formalin bath works best IME.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos
ICQ 56222784
Old 09/18/2000, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Formalin is one of the only ways to get rid of brookynella. If it is from a reef tank keep the fish quaretined for a while as the formalin will leech out of the fish for a while.

Snail
Old 09/18/2000, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Well,

I added 2 drops of formalin per gallon as the bottle said (I know its 1ml per gallon but I had no way of measuring volume so I followed direction)... He does not seem to be ok yet... so we will see..

I have nothing in the reef yet... except for some aptasias, so I placed the fish back in the tank...
Old 09/18/2000, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Organic, my clowns had what I diagnosed as ich and then Brooklynella a couple of months ago brought on by adding a coral beauty (not quaratined). My system is a reef setup so I looked for remedies that were reef safe. I fed the fish garlic soaked food and then started Melafix treatment for 7 days. Both clowns looked in bad shape by the time I started treatment; the female had fin erosion at this point along with the white haze of Brooklynella; the male was totally covered with the white haze.

After about 5 days, both clowns started an amazing recovery. The white haze was gone and the female's fin erosion stopped. I stopped the treatment after 7 days and added carbon 3 days later to remove the remaining medication (skimmers go nuts with Melafix and must be shut down during treatment).

Well, it's approx. 2 months later now and both clowns have fully recovered and are doing fine. The Melafix did not bother the LR, cleaner shrimp, mushrooms, etc. So if all else fails, you might want to try Melafix.

Loren
Old 09/18/2000, 10:57 PM
RC Staff

Tagged for the archives
Old 09/18/2000, 11:46 PM
10 & Over Club

In his book ‘Fish Disease, Diagnosis and Treatment,� Dr. Edward J. Noga lists only one treatment as effective for this infection, formaldehyde. I use formaldehyde that I purchase from the drugstore. It should say it is a 37 to 40 percent solution. The dose should be 20 drops or 1 ml per gallon of water in the dip for 45 minutes. This should be repeated every other day for a total of 3 treatments. Be sure to keep an air stone running in the dip.

Loren,
your idea of combining Melafix with garlic is interesting. Melafix is an antibiotic and they don't make any claim of its being effective against parasites. However, secondary bacterial infections are common with parasites so the Melafix may have helped. I haven't heard anyone using garlic to treat Brooklynella, but I would be interested to know if anyone else has experience with this. No one treatment is effective for every type of parasite.

A white feces sounds more like a bacterial infection than Brooklynella. Strings of mucus hanging off the fish, especially around the mouth and gills, is common with Brooklynella. Maybe this is bacterial infection. Maybe it is both.
Best wishes,
Terry
Old 09/19/2000, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Terry,

I believe both clowns had several things going on at once. The male had the white mucus strings around his mouth. gills, and eyes. The first stage I noted was an ich outbreak on both clowns. From there, the white haze began covering their bodies; then the mucus strings on the male. I then noted severe fin erosion on the female, though the male fins remained intact. All this happened within a period of days. These poor guys looked bad.

It was ~5 days into the Melafix/garlic extract (Kyolic) treatment that I noted a big change in their appearance.

You mentioned in your comments that the garlic extract may have had some sort of impact on the Brooklynella. Could you please explain exactly what Brooklynella is (i.e parasite, infection, etc.)?

As a side note: I wonder if it would be possible to set up an archive with pics of actual fish with the most common ailments? Perhaps the experts in this area could identify good representations of common ailments sent in by others for the archive. In hind site, I wish I would have taken pics with my digital camera to assist in the diagnosis.

Appreciate all input!

Loren
Old 09/19/2000, 02:02 PM
Moved On

quote:
Originally posted by Loren:
As a side note: I wonder if it would be possible to set up an archive with pics of actual fish with the most common ailments? Perhaps the experts in this area could identify good representations of common ailments sent in by others for the archive. In hind site, I wish I would have taken pics with my digital camera to assist in the diagnosis.

Appreciate all input!

Loren

Loren, we will do that in a second if someone can provide the pictures. I think that might be the catch.

------------------
Larry M

"My Dad could build--or fix--anything. Just give him a hammer, a saw, a piece of wire, and a stick. Then get the hell out of the way."
In response to the question, "Where did you learn how to do that?"

See my tanks at Northern Reef
Old 09/19/2000, 09:45 PM
10 & Over Club

Loren,
It certainly sounds like your fish had brooklynella from your description. This would be great if it can be repeated! Brooklynella is a protozoan ectoparasite. Garlic seems to have some effect on SW Ich so this could be interesting. I would sure like to hear more. Maybe someone else has tried it.
Terry B