Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2001, 07:45 AM
RC Mod

would anyone be interested in a central ohio frag swap?

Just wondering if there would be any people interested in getting together sometime in the near future to swap frags and talk tank? I know there are quite a few reefers in the area, and I know a couple of others not in the area that would like to do it as well. I wanted to throw it out here to see if anyone else would be interested, and maybe figure out a date/time/location
Old 11/26/2001, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

^
Old 11/26/2001, 05:57 PM
RC Mod

no one???
Old 11/26/2001, 06:08 PM
Team RC Member

I would be interested, depending where and when. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. Lemme know
Old 11/26/2001, 06:11 PM
Guru Reefer

Count me in!

I live in Huntington, WV, about 2.5 hours away.

mgk
Old 11/26/2001, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

I'm up for it. I am also finally saying HI! to mgk65 who lives right next door, so to speak. (15 miles or so I think)

HELLO NEIGHBOR
Amy S.
Ashland, Kentucky
Old 11/26/2001, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

I'd be up for it. LMK time, date, and location and i'd come. I'm about 5 minutes from Ohio line, so no biggie where it's at. Will this be a strict "frag-trade-only" event or are sales permitted? As i'm starting a small coral farm and really would like to grow out my specimens for fragging, but would be willing to buy frags.

DW302
Old 11/26/2001, 07:23 PM
RC Mod

I just thought it would be cool to get some of us together. I would have to think if there were enough people involved everyone would have to walk away with something they didn't have, or at least some new friends in the hobby
Old 11/26/2001, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Why don't we list what frags we have available so everyone that is interested can make contacts to trade. This way we should all be able to get some new ones as you mentioned in your post!
G.Ski
Old 11/26/2001, 09:31 PM
2336'F pyromaniac

I'd be interested. I'm in Dover. Not too much available to trade yet. Are you making/keeping a list of OH reefers(and close by reefers) to contact?

Listening to: "Make It Rain" - Tom Waits
Drinking: Trois Pistoles

"Check out my current artwork in the little red house above^"
Old 11/26/2001, 09:33 PM
Guru Reefer

Hello Amy!

We're getting enough people around here to get a club going in the Tri-State area ....

There are 4-5 people that I know of directly here.

mgk
Old 11/26/2001, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I would be interested. I have a HUGE green frogspawn that I have fragged before and all frags are doing great. Put me on the list...
Old 11/26/2001, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

I would be interested,as well, depending where and when.
I live near Lima.
Old 11/26/2001, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

I have a few frags that need weeding out.
green star polyps
purple mushrooms
pom pom xenias
a few small pieces of montipora digitata

There may be a few other guys form the CSEA org out of Cleveland that may be intrested. Our next meeting is 12/14
I will let them know about this thread.

Steve

Stow, Ohio
Old 11/27/2001, 03:56 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Hi guys, There was a post not too long ago(1-2wks???)about Ohio LFS's. The response was huge and you will find a bunch of other Ohio area reefers that posted. I wonder where all the Columbus/Dayton people are hiding? It sounds like Columbus-ish is the central geographic location of everyone who posted so far.
Old 11/27/2001, 06:56 AM
First Class Aquatics

Count me in too

- Fade
Old 11/27/2001, 07:35 AM
RC Mod

Well, this is great! Looks like there is more than enough willing participants. We need to figure out the when and where.
Obviously on the weekend and I think it shouldnt be all too late in the day so those who would like to come but have a drive wont be out all night getting home
Old 11/27/2001, 09:21 AM
First Class Aquatics

Quote:
Originally posted by geo
so those who would like to come but have a drive wont be out all night getting home
Yeah, I don't think the wife would like that

- Fade
Old 11/27/2001, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

I think Columbus would be a good location as it is central. I am not sure where would be a decent place to meet as there is no decent LFS there.
Old 11/27/2001, 08:05 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

I am near Dayton, you need to meet at Hawk's Aquatics in Lima. He has good stuff. I maybe able to meet with everyone. I do not have much that I can frag right now, but just to meet everyone would be great.
Old 11/27/2001, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I second the vote for Hawks. It is also easy to get to from I75
Old 11/29/2001, 07:34 PM
RC Mod

Hawks may be too far away for some of the others to attend. I wouldn't be opposed to going to hawks, but someone should check with Shawn first. It would be a tad rude for a bunch to just show up and trade frags IMO. I wouldn't mind doing it here as well. My apartment isn't huge but I think its doable. After the first swap maybe we could have another volunteer to host the thing ???? I don't want this to fizzle away, lets pick a date and time and agree on a location. I had also though about possibly meeting at the Newport Aquarium or the Columbus Zoo. I am sure we could get a group rate and may be able to get some kind of behind the scenes tour.
Old 11/29/2001, 08:20 PM
2336'F pyromaniac

Columbus Zoo would work OK for me - about 2 hrs drive - if I have something to bring. Nice tank of corals there and a behind-the-scenes of their fragging area would be way cool.

Never been to Newport. Looks like it would be a nice trip sometime for my family, but I'd likely not drive that far for a frag trade.

If this local trading gets a good foothold, and we have them in different locations around the state, that would probably get lots of folks involved. I'd be most inclined to go within about 2 hrs distance, which for me would be in the Cleveland-Columbus-Pittsburgh area. No attractions of reefing interest in my area but some other good attractions. Of course, if you carrying a frag with you then site-seeing isn't too easy!

Listening to: "Make It Rain" - Tom Waits
Drinking: Trois Pistoles

"Check out my current artwork in the little red house above^"
Old 11/29/2001, 08:42 PM
RC Mod

That's a good point about different locations. That also goes along with someone different volunteering to hold the swap each time. We all get to meet each other and see different systems. I am sure it would be a great learning experience at each location for anyone willing to attend.
Old 11/29/2001, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

I piggybacked on a post a couple weeks ago looking for central ohio folks willing to do this:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbull...threadid=44737

And got at least 12 names. If folks would like to get added to that list, or we can merge with whatever Geo already has (some of you who responded I see are here as well) I'd be happy to see the list building. I was thinking about a post holiday thing as I assume most folks weekends are pretty busy right now.