Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2004, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Recommendations for a skimmer?

I'm just starting to set up a 110g as FOWLR, with maybe some soft corals later. I've already tossed the JEBO 180 that came with the used setup. What skimmers should I look at?

I don't want to have to tune it every day - I travel and somebody who didn't know how would also have to tune it. It will be in the living room, so I don't want something especially noisy. There is a standard cabinet (24"H) with a small sump in the wet/dry. It could be an in-sump or next-to installation. It would be nice if it was both effective and cheap, but I'm willing to give some on the cheap requirement (not that I have much choice...)

Thanks, Art
Old 10/21/2004, 11:04 AM
Man am I busy

IMO go with a Needle Wheel. I personally really like the Geo skimmers (www.geosreef.com) I have had multiple items built by Geo and really like everything he makes, also I know of alotta people that also like everything he builds. HTH
Old 10/21/2004, 12:45 PM
SpEd Man

Go with a EuroReef, set it and forget it.
Steve
Old 10/21/2004, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Needelwheel is great. ASM, EuroReef, Geo, Jeff's, etc. are all people who make them. They come with a Sedra pump, just make sure that it has a needelwheel impeller.

They are in sump.
Old 10/21/2004, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

I have a Euroreef and I love it...check the board and you'll notice a trend...lot's of people with good and bad experiences, but mostly all good from euro-reef...
Old 10/23/2004, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. Looks like needlewheel is the answer. I hadn't heard of a couple of these brands.

Will check out, figure I have til Monday morning to order if I'm going to put the rock in the tank. (Got a Prism from a small tank, apparently slightly better than nothing and the rock is about cured.)
Old 10/23/2004, 06:26 AM
Flea Slide

Whatever you buy make sure is for 3 to 4 times bigger than the manufacturer's recomendation.
Old 10/23/2004, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

I highly recommend the Euro Reef. Had it for almost 1 year now and has performed flawless. Skims the crap out thats for sure.
Im using the CS8-2 for my 180G reef. Maintenance is cleaning the skimmate cup twice a week.

Best one out there.
Old 10/24/2004, 04:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Whatever you buy make sure is for 3 to 4 times bigger than the manufacturer's recomendation.

the doesn't apply to Euro's, they are way underrated IMO.
Old 10/24/2004, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Both euro-reef and asm g2 have new design's . I am looking into this myself both companies claim 20% more efficiency over an already good design..with the euro reef you also don't have to deal with the threaded union for cup removal it's a new coupler (like my deltec ) ...