Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2004, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Yet another lighting question

I'm having trouble understanding the significance of PAR to coral growth... currently on my tank I'm running 2 Ushio 250W 10K bulbs, and a pair of VHO actinics... And its time to replace bulbs.
I was thinking of going to a pair of 14K MH bulbs, and then probably wouldnt need the actinics so i could probably just put in some regular 10K VHO bulbs...
I know as the color spectrum goes up, the PAR decreases... does this mean my coral growth will be reduced under the 14K MH's? Should I stick with the setup I currently have?
Old 10/16/2004, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Anyone?
Old 10/16/2004, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

bump

"I may not be right very often, but I'm never wrong!"
Old 10/16/2004, 07:57 PM
RC Sponsor

Really PAR depends on the bulbs themselves. While it has been shown that high K bulbs give off less PAR, the amount less won't hurt your corals. Most likely your old bulbs are a lot less intense the any new one you would buy. Just make sure to acclimate your corals to any new bulbs you put in, including VHOs.