Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: what to use
j or u tube 15 78.95%
CPR 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08/15/2004, 10:28 PM
Moved On

cpr vs. u tube

what is better CPR overflow. or the u tube desing
i like the cpr cause you can hook up a aqua lifter vacume pump pump to keep the siphon from breaking but i dont like how they use screen to keep fish out. seems like it would clog. but it has a lower profile in the tank

any way to add a hole to a u or j tube to add an Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump
?
Old 08/16/2004, 12:20 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

There is really no need for a poll here.
U tubes are way more efficient and pose a much lower risk to you having a flood.
Old 08/16/2004, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

I 2nd the no need for a poll, I had a CPR, they suck..

DaveC
Old 08/17/2004, 05:32 PM
Moved On

ok
Old 08/17/2004, 05:38 PM
NAME'S JR IM A REEFAHOLIC

U tube all the way. I would recommend the one from LIFEREEF or get one of Gregs at REEFGEEK.com call Clear for life. Both have a fairly (i said fairly) bulletproof design
JMO

Yes I know it is spelled wrong but Junior was already taken.

Life may suck but the alternative is unacceptable
Old 08/17/2004, 08:18 PM
Moved On

any oneknow the website for CPR
Old 08/17/2004, 09:46 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

Don't even mess with the CPR, NOT GOOD!!! Don't even try to find their web page!! U-Tube all the way
Old 08/17/2004, 10:34 PM
Moved On

i wanted to see the other products
like refus
Old 08/18/2004, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I have been using a CPR for over a year now. It can loose it;s suction and quit. I installed a small pump that pumps both water and air and I have had no problems in many months. It is now recomended by the manufacturer. they are only $10.00. You can get both from Dr. Foster. The price is right. I think with the new added pump it becomes a reasonable option for your tank. I would not recommed one without the pump! pwf
Old 08/18/2004, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Its cprusa.com

Catch the CRASE - 2008
Old 08/18/2004, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

I just cribbed my response to another poll and pasted it here below. I have not had any experience with anything other than a CPR with an air lifter so take that into account. However when my cucumber decided to see if there was anything good to eat in the overflow box the overflow siphon was large enough to allow continued flow, I don't think that would have happened with a standard siphon tube. And as I said in my cribbed post based on my present experience all SW tanks should have built in overflows.

----- My Crib -----
Not to get flamed and I am not trolling but, .... I have been running with a CPR for about a year and haven't had any real problems with it. Yes I have an "air lifter" pump to keep it clear of air in the siphon. and yes it does trap a LOT of bubbles in the siphon that the air lifter has to remove, but it has never lost siphon except when I lowered the level of the tank below the output and in that case any overflow would loose siphon. When I raised the level of the tank back up the siphon started back up automatically. For me I like the fact that I have something that will maintain the siphon should something go wrong. I also like the fact that none of the animals in my tank are large enough to block the wide siphon in the CPR. I haven't used any other overflows and am not knocking them, they may work much better than the CPR, I don't know. In any case I would never again set up a tank without built in overflows a much better solution in my opinion. If there was one problem that I have had with the CPR it is that with such a wide siphon critters in my tank that can make it through the protective screen can easily get into the overflow box (cucumber, yellow watchman goby, and various snails). This never hurt the animal but I did have to move them back to the tank.
Old 08/18/2004, 11:31 AM
Aspiring Polymath

Quote:
except when I lowered the level of the tank below the output and in that case any overflow would loose siphon.
How do you figure? With a U-tube overflow, you can drain your tank 100%, refill it, and not have the box lose siphon.
Old 08/18/2004, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Although I was one that had issues with the CPR unit losing it siphon (and having my sump pump run dry), I still like the unit. I'm hoping with the additional water pump, I will rid myself of this issue. Got to admit...they are quiet, and have a rather low profile inside the tank.

Just my 2 cents...

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 08/18/2004, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dendronepthya
How do you figure? With a U-tube overflow, you can drain your tank 100%, refill it, and not have the box lose siphon.
Sorry, I misspoke. The CPR did not loose its siphon, at least not immediately; it stopped moving water into the sump. An to be perfectly accurate, I didn’t turn off the air lifter so eventually enough water was sucked out of the CPR to allow the siphon to break. And to be even more accurate, if I do turn off the air lifter air will be drawn in to the siphon through the air lifter and tubing thus breaking the siphon also. I stand corrected.
Old 08/18/2004, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

When I unplug my airlifter it does not let air back into the siphon, you may want to check on that.
Old 08/18/2004, 05:26 PM
Moved On

so i like how the cpr sounds it is good........ but any problems with algae clogging the screen... how big are the openings a picture with a penny near it would help... i dont want to loose any critters( i havent yet with my u tube box i like the teeth desine

If i use 2 u tubes that would decreese the chance of breaking the siphon from an animal.??

also i like the cpr cause its so low profile but i always hear people badmouth it
Old 08/18/2004, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

The screen is more of a plastic mesh...it comes out in 2 seconds, and cleans even quicker.

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 08/18/2004, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

u tube easier to clean also
Old 08/18/2004, 08:22 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

Quote:
Originally posted by lmsrch
i dont want to loose any critters( i havent yet with my u tube box i like the teeth desine
If i use 2 u tubes that would decreese the chance of breaking the siphon from an animal.??
Yes. I use two tubes and I slipped these over the tubes. Work great.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../8559/cid/2079
Old 08/18/2004, 08:29 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

BTW, CPR is not worth it. Like the person said in this link, it's like buying a new car that isn't safe to drive unless you buy another new part for it.

http://www.cpraquatic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1903