Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2004, 04:09 PM
Hippocampus fun!

Not 100% happy with eTropicals...

I placed a really large order with eTropicals the other day (around $200), and it arrived yesterday. I opened the box to find that three items were missing-- 2 Chalk Basses and a Blue Polyp Montipora digitata. In addition to that, a zoanthid rock that I ordered arrived completely wiped out in brown water. It smelled grosssssss. I ordered a Bali green slimer Acro as well, which arrived poop brown. It's not looking good today-- a little tissue loss around the base and minimal polyp extension. I contacted eTropicals about the order, and I received a response from a Drs. Foster & Smith service rep. They said they would credit my account for the zoos and the blue polyp Monti, a total of $31. They said that the Chalk Basses were removed from the order for health reasons, so I am assuming I was not charged for those. They said to keep my eye on the Acro for another week.

I know this isn't the worst scenario that could have happened, but I feel like since I spent over $200, they could have at least done me a little better than that. Yes, they credited me for the missing/DOA items, but they did not credit me for the shipping which I will now have to pay to have the other items sent to me. I can understand them not paying the shipping on an item that arrived DOA, but they just plain forgot to send the digitata, which I think is negligent and not something that I should have to suffer a loss for. Also, the digitata was on sale, so even though they did credit me for it, there's no way it will be at that price once I save up enough money to make another order (which at this point, I'm not planning on doing...).

I haven't replied to their customer service email yet because I'm not exactly sure how to approach it at this point, but I'm not happy with the way the order is going so far. Don't get me wrong, the things that came in alive and healthy are very nice, but that's no excuse for the rest of the stock. I'd like to get in touch with Chuck Wrobel over the issue because he seems to have been the one to make right for the customer in past troubles with eTropicals that I have read about, but I don't know his email address. Anybody know his email address or any other way to contact Chuck directly?

Hopefully something can be worked out, because right now, I'm less than impressed with eTropicals.

-Will
Old 08/14/2004, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

So where do you live, did the order get to you overnight? I'm about to order from them but I'm really close to them. I'd just call and complain, BTW all calls go to Drs Foster Smith call center in Wisconsin, they're not the most knowledgable people but they're pretty nice.
Old 08/14/2004, 08:34 PM
Hippocampus fun!

Just a small update. I found a message on my cell phone from a Supervisor today. I'm not sure how they knew to call, but I'm glad they did. I'm gonna call back tomorrow afternoon since it's so late now. I was impressed that they took the initiative to call, and the woman who called seemed very nice and willing to work with me. Hopefully things will go well tomorrow.

-Will

ps- I'm in SC, so yep, it got to me overnight.
Old 08/15/2004, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

I have nothing but Great things to say about Dr Fosters and Smiths 'Staff. Extremely nice and willing to go above and beyond for their customers. I have not purchased any livestock so I wouldn't know there.
Old 08/15/2004, 08:02 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

Just a note. I just deleted the post by fredrickoreefer. It was a little too over the top to be true so I did a little research. He's been here since December and all he has posted is slams on vendors...mostly Zoanthid vendors. Hmmm. A little further checking and the answer was logical you might say. He makes his living selling Zoanthids. Cute.
Old 08/15/2004, 08:36 AM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by wizardgus
Just a note. I just deleted the post by fredrickoreefer. It was a little too over the top to be true so I did a little research. He's been here since December and all he has posted is slams on vendors...mostly Zoanthid vendors. Hmmm. A little further checking and the answer was logical you might say. He makes his living selling Zoanthids. Cute.
when will they ever learn?

I guess that and other idiots doing stupid stuff keeps you busy though huh?
Old 08/15/2004, 08:51 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

Yeah James, it is part of the moderator job thing. But, if I can speak as just a hobbyist for a moment, this kind of thing really makes me mad. Since I started at RC I have used the information here to find vendors and suppliers. And I have found quite a few really good ones. I have to rely on MO for everything. So when I find someone corrupting the information available either like this or posing as a customer of their own business..... If we don't keep that junk out what value is the rest of it?

End of rant.
Old 08/15/2004, 09:21 AM
Monkey

I agree holeheartedly. Perhaps my first post wasn't clear in that regard. I was merely making light of my recent avatar incident.
Old 08/15/2004, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Well I just did a $178 for 5 different corals and a ultra grade maxima. They're friendly, hoqefully their corals are as good as their service, 3 of the corals are ORA so I can pretty much expect what to get there as long as it was held and packaged right.
Old 08/15/2004, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

well if your order was over $175 it should have been shipped free as are all orders over $175... if they back ordered some stuff they will ship it when they get it, also free.... if u get an email showing shipping charges on your back order from e tropicals just contact live aquaria and they will reverse them... also you can use your credit to order dry goods from dfs website... just call the 800 # and tell them u have a credit..hope this helps
Old 08/16/2004, 03:48 AM
Registered Member

I have ordered many items from liveaquaria. Same company foster and smith. The live rock I wasn't too impressed with upon arrival. Looks great after about 4months though. Ordered some gobies shrimp and crabs. I did have one fish that died in transit, but emailed them and they gave me credit. No questions asked! The only thing I haven't ordered from them yet is corals. I usually get those from my lfs.
Old 08/16/2004, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I've ordered from LA on several occasions and have always been satisfied with the livestock (fish and corals.) While I did have one DOA, and an order that was delayed due to inclimate weather by FedEx, the staff we're always polite and in the case of the delayed package, actually called FedEx in order to get the package to me ASAP and arrange for me to pick it up at the depot upon arrival on the weekend. Sometimes DOAs happen regardless of who you buy from- granted you would expect healthy corals and livestock to survive 24 hours in a bag- but still thing happen. The saving grace for LA I think, at least for me, is their no hassle approach to customer service.
Best of luck.
Old 08/16/2004, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I have order from drsfostersmith for 4 years and very satisfy with the service and goods.
Recently I ordered twice from LA in the first shipment I got 15 nerith, 25 nassarius, 1 copperbanded butterfly, 1 lawnmower blenny, 3 royal gramma and 1 two eyes sand sifting gobby. The copperbanded died the first day it did not looked good out of the bag it lay on the botton and gone, the sand sifter lasted 3 days and two of the gramma lasted 10 days. I called LA and they said "we are sorry for the lost " credited my account with no question asked. On my second order I got another copperbanded, 2 sand sifting gobbies, two bannerfish, 4 turbo snail, 15 blue leg hermit crab and a red tail butterfly, all of them are doing great, except for one of the two eyes, it got into a fight with the other one and lost.
I guess my first shipment was misshandled by fedex and caused all the losses.
Old 08/17/2004, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

one has to realize the facts of shipping. Things do die in transit, and its not always the vendors fault. It happens all the time in lfs. For example, my work got a shipment in today and we had a few corals die. I can assure you that they didn't ship it to you in a poor condition. I can also assure you that the water was not brown when they bagged your zoo's. Live Aquaria and family are great companies. Don't let this keep you from ordering again. BTW, i always call to check on avaliablity. In the case of your chalk basses, you really should be happy they didn't send them. Would you rather have sick fish that die in a week or a credit for healthy specimines.
Old 08/17/2004, 01:33 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i have delt with drs foster and smiths companies many times........everything exept the fish from live aquaria are miss represented in size and quality.......most of there "colored" acros are brown and about 40% of the stuff i have reseaved is dead when it gets to me.........at least they give me the money back on my credit card

i don't recomend buying anything other than there fish....

Brad
Old 08/17/2004, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Wow, hope you with your "logical" comment you are not referring to who I think you are, they had a really good rep on RC.

If it is then how could anyone trust a company that would do such a thing, thats so sad. It makes you wonder if the rep they had was all a schill.

Quote:
Originally posted by wizardgus
Old 08/17/2004, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Will,

Did you get this worked out, Etropicals are the only online vendor I have ordered livestock from before and I would rate them highly, I love their build you own packages with the free shipping over $65.

Hope they took care of you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Will
Just a small update. I found a message on my cell phone from a Supervisor today. I'm not sure how they knew to call, but I'm glad they did. I'm gonna call back tomorrow afternoon since it's so late now. I was impressed that they took the initiative to call, and the woman who called seemed very nice and willing to work with me. Hopefully things will go well tomorrow.

-Will

ps- I'm in SC, so yep, it got to me overnight.
Old 08/17/2004, 09:29 PM
Hippocampus fun!

We're getting everything worked out I think. I emailed them again and now they are saying they will reship the missing/DOA items at no cost to me, so I am really happy about that. I will continue to keep you guys updated.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.
-Will
Old 09/14/2004, 08:36 PM
Hippocampus fun!

Just an update.. I did eventually get the replacement items (2 Chalk Basses, blue polyp digi, and green button zoanthids), but one of the chalk basses was DOA and the other died within a few days. The corals came in fine (the zoos were a little stressed though), and even though the blue polyp digi is very brown, both corals are recovering and coloring up. I guess I'd say I'm 75% happy with the order. I got most of the stuff I paid for, and I was satisfied with most of it. I don't know, I guess I was disappointed by the corals though. They clam is really nice, but the errors with the fish have just kind of turned me off. I didn't even bother trying to get credit for the DOA fish (they weren't technically replacements since they were left out of the box the first time around). I probably won't order from eTropicals again. It was just too much trouble and too much money for what I got.
-Will