Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/07/2004, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

Read this book!

If anyone is looking for a good chem book relevent to our hobby I would highly recomend CHEMISTRY OF THE SEA by Michael Pilson. Dr. Holmes-Farley and Boomer recommended this to me a while back and it was well worth my investment.

I think that some basic college chem is necessary for complete understanding, so break out the old texts!

I paid about 50 for it but it was worth it. I found the book very relevant to the hobby. Obviously there is nothing about additives or aquariums, but the chemical processes are basically the same.

Jason
Old 07/07/2004, 07:23 AM
Reef Chemist

I'm glad that you found it interesting!

I also like "Chemical Oceanography" by Millero.
Old 07/07/2004, 06:50 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Yes Jason it is a nice book, glad you liked it so much. I also have Millero but mine is an old edition

so break out the old texts!

No need for that Jason, get this

Seawater: Its composition, Properties and Behavior, by Open University. Buy an old use copy paperback. The hardcover or a new one in pp, is way over priced. This is the one I recommend to hobbyist's. It is self teaching and one of the best books I have seen. I would be lost without it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...?condition=all

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 07/08/2004, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

Wow, for once in this hobby something that didnt cost me an arm and a leg. $5.90 is my kind of price! Thanks Boomer. I will let yall know what I think of it in a few weeks.
Old 07/08/2004, 09:09 AM

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 07/08/2004, 02:09 PM
DON'T PANIC

Regarding Millero's book... I bought a used copy through amazon.com for $8 (plus $4 for shipping). So be sure to check there.
Old 07/08/2004, 09:19 PM
Reef Chemist

Wow, that's a good deal. That's the 1996 version (second edition) that they normally have new for $119?
Old 07/09/2004, 12:02 AM
DON'T PANIC

No, the '92 edition (and paperback). The listing said it was used, but it came looking brand new. Even though it's the older edition... how could I pass on that price?
Old 07/09/2004, 07:33 AM
Reef Chemist

Old 07/09/2004, 09:29 AM
DON'T PANIC

Before this thread dies, I would really like to know what books you everyone else has and likes. Or has this been covered in a thread somewhere else? These are the book's I would like to get (any comments?):

Pilson's Introduction to Chemistry of the Sea
Pankow's Aquatic Chemistry Concepts
Spotte's Captive Seawater Fishes (ouch that one is expensive even used!)

What else should be on that list? A search on Amazon for "chemical oceanography" generates a fairly long list...

Are there other books not specifically related to chemistry that you find yourself reading often?
Old 07/09/2004, 04:35 PM
Reef Chemist

I have Pankow's book. It is perfect if you like mathematical treatments of water chemistry issues. It is nearly all directed to freshwater, but if combined with seawater parameters from Millero, it can be used to calcualte all kinds of stuff (which I used in many of my articles), like buffering capacity, solubiliuty of CaCO3 (e.g., Aragamight), etc.

Spottes book is also very good. Not mathematical, and nothing about corals, but quite a bit about aquarium issues.

I don't have any others that I read regularly, although I have a good one at home on organics in seawater (forget the title right now).
Old 07/10/2004, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

Is Tullock's WATER CHEMISTRY FOR THE MARINE AQUARIUM reading?
Old 07/10/2004, 06:44 AM
Reef Chemist

I haven't read it. Anyone else?
Old 07/14/2004, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764120387/qid=1089866180/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-5808936-3175916?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It is available for 6.95 at amazon. It looks pretty basic, but I am going to check it out
Old 07/15/2004, 07:23 AM
Reef Chemist

No go on the link.
Old 07/15/2004, 08:47 AM
DON'T PANIC

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Looking at the table of contents I'd say it isn't too in depth but might be a good primer for many. Books like that always leave me with more questions then answers though.
Old 07/15/2004, 09:12 AM
Reef Chemist

Thanks. Did you see the Table of Contents on line?
Old 07/15/2004, 09:42 AM
DON'T PANIC

Yes, try this link or click on the "search inside this book" link just under the book's picture.TOC

You can read an excerpt and see the index at the back of the book too.
Old 07/15/2004, 11:22 AM

I would really like to know what books you everyone else has and likes

Hmmm, not a smart thing to do with me lurking here Jon, even Randy knows that

My list

All those you posted and Randy mentioned +

Carbonate Sedimentology, by Tucker and Wright (1990). I LOVE this book

Marine Chemistry by Horne. The book that started it all. Nice book for way back then in 1969

Chemical Oceanography, Vol, I & II by Riley and Skirrow, editors. The old master classic set volumes

Introduction to Marine Chemistry by Riley and Chester (1971). The old std college text book for 3 decades, now replaced by Millero and Pilson. Where I learned how to do Buch-Davies Equations the easy way and on my own

An Introduction to Marine Biogeochemistry by Libes (1992). One of Millero's grad students. Best general overview and intro book on the subject

Water Chemistry, by Benjamin. The news book on water chemistry. More to Randy's liking I would think.

Water Chemistry by Snoeyink and Jenkins (1980). The old standby, my favorite general book. Also has things on ozone treatment, chloramines, hard water deposits. I would be lost with out this book.

Principles of Aquatic Chemistry by Morel (1983) . I do not like this book. Hmm, how did I forget to put this in Randy's care package

The Geochemistry of Natural Waters: Surface and Ground Water Environments, by Drever (1997). I really like this book, the best in its field

Carbon Dioxide Equilbria and Their Applications, by Butler (1991. A 250 page master piece. Seawater and FW. Where I first learned about ion pairs in seawater (has a section on it) and has a table on seawater ion pairs in %. Don't know how many times I have copied fig 5.1 on seawater and handed it out to people. It shows the alk components and many of the ion pairs, important cations on a pC-pH diagram. The graph is an illustrates the acid-base behavior of seawater. i.e., Na, Cl-, Mg, Ca, Si, K, OH's, CO3, HCO3, Borates, Sulfates, CO2. Hmmm, no phosphate, just noticed that.

And last but not least, 2 books by GOD, they have others

Werner Stumm & James J. Morgan

Aquatic Chemistry: An Introduction Emphasizing Chemical Equilbria in Natural Waters.

I do not believe Randy does not have this book. When I first got this book I tuned it upside down, as I thought the print was backwards. Nope, then on one page I say the words "with" and "for" and new it was right-side up. This is a deep-sixer

Chemistry of the Solid-Water Interface: Processes at the Mineral-Water and Particle Water Interface in Natural Systems. Another one for Randy, lots on surface chem

I have a few more

Old 07/15/2004, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

I just got SEAWATER: ITS COMPOSITION, PROPERTIES AND BEHAVIOR in the mail today. I have only looked at it far about a half an hour so far but it looks excellent. Aside from the useful chemistry stuff, it has some great stuff for science geeks like me such as currents, hydrological cycle, temp distribution, etc. This book is well worth the 5 dollars that I paid for it. I bought it used but it is in excellent condition.
Old 07/15/2004, 08:21 PM

Jason

Well, if that is the case, I should of mentioned this is a vol. series book with others in the field, all formatted the same, price and page size.

Look on te back cover, their shoiuld be a list, there are 6 vol. to this series, the other 5 are listed.

Jon

I forgot one important one.

Seawater Aqauariums: The Captive Enviroment by Spotte. When it come to aquariums and chemsitry I drag this out more than any. I am now on my secondy copy

Old 07/16/2004, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

This is a great thread. I just recieved SEAWATER: ITS COMPOSITION, PROPERTIES AND BEHAVIOR in the mail today also. And again...$5...excellent condition. Thanks for all the information everyone.

If you See Me Running You Better Catch-Up... Boom!
Old 07/16/2004, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

No-go on Tullock unless you are new to chem and reefs. Very basic.
Old 07/17/2004, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

One more: "Biogeochemistry of Marine Dissolved Organic Matter", Hansell and Carlson (Edited), 2002

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old 07/17/2004, 04:25 AM

Tatu

We need this one for Randy and Habib

Methods of Seawater Analysis
by Klaus Grasshoff (Editor), Klaus Kremling (Editor), Manfred Ehrhardt (Editor)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books