Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/10/2004, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

What tank... Hmm...

We are planning on FOWLR, but also planning to add in some lps and softies in the future .. possible clams and anomies at a later date as well..

The 3 main tanks we are thinking about are
1) 60 gallon hex (look much preferred)
2) 46 gallon bowfront (not liked as much, but still liked)
3) 55 gallon rectangle tank (looks not liked at all)
4) ??

I'm told that a longer tank is better than a wider tank when talking about the fish... How much of a difference will that make when we are talking about the 60 hex vs the 55 normal and 46 bowfront?

Suggestions?

Thanks
Laeelin

ps: trying to keep the total system cost (before livestock) as close to $1000 as possible.

pps: this is for my dad, and he much prefers a non standard looking tank.
Old 06/10/2004, 04:49 AM
Registered Member

Hex tanks look great but can be a big problem for a reef tank. Their surface area to total gallon capacity is usually very small and they are difficult to reach into as well. You are better of with one of th eother two you mentioned.
Old 06/10/2004, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

55 for sure, your fish will love it and as stated above, it has a larger surface area which has a better oxygen exchange.
Old 06/10/2004, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Keep in mind that tank/system cost can often be greatly reduced by checking local newspapers, yardsales, etc.
Many to most used set ups offered for sale are because of reasons other than the equipment itself and can be had for 1/4-1/2 the price of a new set up, meaning for the same money, you can get TWICE the tank.
As to width/length, either is more important than height, except in very rare specific cases.

Mike
Old 06/10/2004, 08:51 AM
Super Bowl Champ

Have you seen the wave front tanks? Its a new design and its pretty cool. The bigger water volume the more stable water you will have....
Old 06/10/2004, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Thats why the ocean doesnt need water changes :-)
Old 06/10/2004, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats why the ocean doesnt need water changes :-)
lol =)

I'm going to be talking to him today to decide tank size/shape =)
Old 06/10/2004, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Be careful of salesmanship.....an aquarium is an aquarium is an aquarium is an aquarium......
It'll still need fitering, water changes, skimming, etc..the only difference is the shape and for now, you'll be paying top dollar for an"effect".

Mike
Old 06/10/2004, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
the only difference is the shape and for now, you'll be paying top dollar for an"effect".
Yeah =)

They decided to go with the normal tank when I showed them the price diffrence and also told them about the problem with hex tanks...

Now I just need to work on priceing to figure out how much a couple sizes will cost... 55g? 70g?

btw, if there is a size that tends to be extra nice please let me know..

From looking at stores, the 55g is currently my favorite... LOTS of viewing area because it's thinner without being really thin..

Thoughts?

Thanks
Laeelin
Old 06/10/2004, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

This is going to sound dumb......for a small reef tank, a 55 gal. is great, but for a FO or FOWLR keep in mind that roughly 65% of the fish you see in the LFS are babies and will soon grow too large for it, and many that will remain small are so territorial that each WANTS the whole tank to himself and will kill anything you try and put in there.

SO only about 25% of what you see in the store/books are good candidates....my personal recommendation for a marine FO or FOWLR is minimum 100 gal. (5 feet), with 125 gal.(6 feet) even better.
With a 55 gal., do LOTS of homework and you can end up with fish and critters you'll enjoy for years.....if you buy JUST on whim and color, you'll spend most of your time regretting your decision.

Mike