Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2004, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

How do you clean your sump ?

Hi,

I have quite a mess in the bottom of my sump, how does everyone go about cleaning it ?

I am battling high nitrates at the moment and I dont know if this is a cause, I also have a filter sock over the drain, I am going to remove this so things are only going to get messier.
Old 05/20/2004, 03:13 PM
Owner

I use a large, veterinarian type syringe connected to long, small piece of tubing and "suck" it out with that. I've also used a turkey baster. HTH.
Old 05/20/2004, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

i use a fluval 304 canister filter.. it cleans it out and you dont lose
water..or put the out put to a bucket and do a wtr change!
Old 05/20/2004, 03:41 PM
Moved On

You can use a powerhead with a piece of hose on there during a water change, just suck the crap out thru the pump.
Old 05/20/2004, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

I have a small wet vac with several small attachments that work very well. I was having the same problem with nitrates and i have since seen a dramatic decrease after cleaning the filter and a couple of water changes.
Old 05/20/2004, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm...I'll let you know when I get around to doing it.
Old 05/21/2004, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

danellis06460,

I have been cleaning my sump about once a month for the last couple of years with no negative effects on the tank. My sump is a 20gal long which hold my skimmer, pump and calcium reactor. I just drain all the water clean all equipment and bring the tank outside to hose it out. I then put the tank under the stand and fill with new water that I had mixed the night before. This also replacing the water change that I would have done on the tank.
Old 05/21/2004, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

wet/dry vac...works great

"Back off man, I'm a scientist" - Pete Venkman "Ghostbusters"
Old 05/21/2004, 09:00 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

You're supposed to clean it??
Haven't so far, set up tank 6 months ago. I do have a wet/vac...so if I get A Round Tuit...
Old 05/21/2004, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

I agree with the wet dry vac
Old 05/21/2004, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Nice suggestions guys, I never thought of the wet dry vac, I have a huge one, I will have to see if I can find a small one just for this purpose.

Now if only I could lose my filter sock, if I do the water gets messy pretty quickly.

Bone, thats a lot of work to empty and remove the sump every month !!! Your dedication is awesome, my sump wont even come out of the stand now.
Old 05/21/2004, 10:14 AM
Got Dihydrogen Monoxide?

IMO, you don't need to remove and scrun out your sump. You can, but don't need to. just shut your pumps down wipe down the walls and siphon out the debris. I do this every two weeks. I usually suck out 10 gallons of water with debris (AKA water change). If you need to remove debris more often, then the fluval idea sounds really good.
Old 05/21/2004, 11:35 AM
Electrical Madman!

i haven't touched my sump in 2 years. i don't clean it at all. the only thing in my tank i clean is the glass and the skimmer cup. i don't siphon anything, i don't blow debris/detritus off the rocks. i let it go. i've done this for 4 years. current sump has been in use for 2 years. there's very little debris in there. i you have a good skimmer and enough flow, it won't be a problem.
Old 05/21/2004, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I take a turkey buster and blow it all back into the water column. I've been doing it that way for years.