Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/29/2004, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Question High calcium test results?

I've been testing my calcium recently and I noticed a increased in the calcium level. Nothing has changed in my tank. I use a salifert test kit. Today I tried testing and the results say 600. I don't have any snow effect. The tank is mainly sps and clams. I do weekly water changes with instant ocean sea salts. I use to dose seachem reef complete and reef calcium but stopped about two weeks ago. I just recieved my calcium reactor today, I'm afraid to start it do to such a high calcium level. The alk test results are 11. Can there be something I'm doing wrong on the test or are my levels really this high??? Tried searching all post for info and tried a large water change but no change in calcium level. Please any help would be great.
Old 05/01/2004, 09:22 AM
RC Admin

It's very slightly possible that your levels are that high, but I doubt it. Especially based on what calcium you are adding to the system. Calcium cannot just increase on its' own, so if you stopped adding anything weeks ago and there's no precipitate, the numbers just don't make sense.

Have you confirmed that number with another persons calcium kit? Try your LFS or a friend.

I usually have complete faith in Salifert kits and it's all I use. How old is that kit you have?

What is the alk measured in? meq/L or dKH? That will make a huge difference. If it's dKH, then it is right on the money where you want to be and at a balanced state, your calcium should be about 435. If it's in meq/L, you've got a serious problem.
Take a look at this article to see what I mean:

Calcium and Alkalinity Balance Issues
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-...ature/index.htm

I'd hold off on the reactor until you get a reliable baseline for your tank.

Mike

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 05/02/2004, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to have the LFS test my calcium. The salifert kit I have is brand new and has an expiration of 2/09. I'll try doing another water change and see what happens. Tried test with my kit again and same results????
Old 05/02/2004, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

The alk is in dkh. tested again and about 10.5-11.
Old 05/02/2004, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

What is your salinity? I've noticed that my corals don't mind a little high ca and alk, but really mind it being a little low.
Old 05/03/2004, 12:53 AM
Got Salt!

WHat is your Magnesium level?
Old 05/03/2004, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

The salinity level in my tank is 1.025. And as far as magnesium I don't test. I do dose 5 ml twice a week.
Old 05/03/2004, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

By the way went to my LFS and it tested the same there. The LFS owner gave me some water from his tank to check my test kit and his tank his tank is at 420. My test kit showed the same results 420 for his water and 550 for my water.
Old 05/03/2004, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

My Salifert kit will only test to 500. What is the maximum yours tests for?

Regards,

Roy
Old 05/04/2004, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

it only test for 500, but if you fill the syringe again and keep dripping till it turns blue you add 50ppm for every .10ml. I found this in a thread here somewhere??
Old 05/04/2004, 07:47 AM
Reef Chemist

Yes, you can add as many syringes of titrant as necessary to get the endpoint, then just add the values together.
Old 05/04/2004, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Randy. When I read your article, I never understood what you meant by that. It makes perfect sense now. Salifert should mention this in their instructions.

Would you also get to the same place if you used the half as sensitive version of the test. I don't have the instructions in front of my; but, that would basically double up on your testing solution to let you go beyond 500. Right?

Regards,

Roy
Old 05/04/2004, 12:11 PM
Reef Chemist

Yes, I believe that you can just use half the tank water volume, everything else the same, and double the final result.
Old 05/16/2004, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

calcium

I am curious about this as well... i am using the same kit and I too am registering over 500. I add the sea chem products daily for calcium. I guess I will take a water sample to my local petstore and see what their results are... I guess I could stop the additives for a couple of days and check back.
Old 05/16/2004, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

i don't feel bad than.........I got a new salfret and it's giving me 550 .. I use a old one that I had over a year and it telling me 500.. I also stop adding ESV for over a week and the same thing....I give up
Old 05/17/2004, 07:26 AM
Reef Chemist

It can take a fairly long time for elevated calcium to decline as there is quite a large reservoir in seawater.