Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/24/2004, 02:10 PM
Lion addict

New Black Ribbon to Rescue

Well today I decided to help out a local fish store in getting rid of their Black Ribbon as they had ordered it well over a month ago and it wouldn't sell and wouldn't eat. They told me they weren't planning on buying another unless it was special ordered. I just wish fish stores would learn that these guys are not easy and they should only be available via special order so that way they can be sure the Eel will have the proper home. He is about 2-2 1/2 feet long and is starting to change from black to blue. I will report back later as to whether or not he eats. I'm sure he will, as I have yet to be unsuccessful with one of my own. Anyway, just thought would let you all know especially since there have been a lot of threads on them lately and want everyone to understand that these are NOT easy eels (are actually the most difficult) and if you really want one you should start out with a Zebra or Snowflake, become successful with them then attempt a Black. Anyway, off to go watch my BRE as he adjusts.
Old 04/24/2004, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Good look trig, post some pics if you get the chance, i know exactly what you mean about LFS, one local to me is supervised by 17-18 year olds that fill their 3ft tanks with damsels and put clown triggers in 1ft cubes.....absolutely crazy.
Old 04/24/2004, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Good luck, I hope this one works out too!
Old 04/24/2004, 10:47 PM
Lion addict

Thanks guys. Nothing yet, but all we have is frozen foods so am going to go get fresh stuff tomorrow. The sad part about it, is he has been kept in one of those critter keepers inside of a tank (with no rocks, nothing just him and the plastic-that is how they keep all their eels to prevent escape) for the month that he has been in the store and has badly destroyed the tips of his snout. I will take some pictures of it tomorrow and post soon but both top and bottom jaw are all white fleshed at the ends.
Old 04/25/2004, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Good luck with him. It may be tougher to get him to eat with a bruised mouth.

I have had trouble with wrasses that come in like that, bruised mouths make it hard for them.

Obviously a wrasse is different from an eel but.....

Anyway good luck hope you do well with him. He is obviously better off with you than the LFS.
Old 04/25/2004, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Good luck with you new BRE! I got the one at the store I work at to eat from your advice. I was just wondering, how much do your LFS sell BRE for?
Old 04/25/2004, 10:45 PM
Moved On

Hey I have a black ribbon eel and I got him to eat brine shrimp live with selcon vitamin soaking. Tell your LFS that this is a special type of eel that eats very differently from the other Moray family. I have over 4 eels and my tank and all eat Krill, Silversides & Squid except my Blue Ribbon. I will try that out and here is some more infomation on the eel that can help on its feeding preferrences. The Rhinomuraena quaesita grows up to 45 inches. The Blue Ribbon Eel prefers a tank of at least 60 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Rhinomuraena quaesita is a carnivore and likes to eat meaty treats (like live feeder, fiddler crabs, small fish & grass shrimp
Old 04/25/2004, 11:35 PM
Lion addict

I do know what the Eel is like, thank you though. I already have one, have had him for over a year. The other one is thriving in my 209g tank. I think this one will be tough due to the snout injury. The fish store knows a lot about Eels in general as they have been in business for over 25 years. This Eel will not touch anything non live yet and flipped when a live brine touched his mouth. We are going to give him a few days to settle in then try live ghosts and others. Anyway, will keep everyone updated with his progress.
Old 04/30/2004, 08:27 AM
Lion addict

The new Ribbon has shown a lot of interest in Ghost Shrimp according to my mom (who feeds my fish while I am up at college). She didn't have the time to stick around and watch him so it is highly possible he did eat one or two. I will give a full update tomorrow when I feed him and hopefully I can get him to eat some stuff. His nose is in pretty bad shape so wasn't expecting much for awhile. I will be sure to get some pics of him this weekend and post them.
Old 05/01/2004, 11:53 PM
Lion addict

Well guys, I succeeded. Today he took his first bite of frozen raw shrimp (pretty good size piece for him and since he hasn't eaten in awhile that filled him) but he did eat finally and it will be easy from here on out. 3 Ribbons and counting . Just kidding, no more Ribbons for me for awhile.
Old 05/02/2004, 05:04 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Congradulations!

I think now you need a white ribbon

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 05/02/2004, 09:16 AM
Lion addict

Actual one of the 3 is a Ghost Ribbon (white Ribbon)-he lives in the 209 with the original Black Ribbon. They are buddies they hang out all the time.
Old 05/02/2004, 10:05 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Arent ghost ribbons female and blacks are juvenile males which will turn in to blue? Or is it wrong?

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 05/02/2004, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
The ghost ribbons are a seperate species, Oz.

With black/blue/green ribbon eels (your choice! ), they are black as juveniles, hit puberty and turn into blue males, finally ending up as green females.

Just a hunch here, but depending on the length of the planktonic larval stage, I suspect the black ribbon may end up being one of the first species to be bred in captivity, due to their easily sexable coloration and relatively small size.

It's also been my experience that they are actually good feeders and quite easy for someone willing to invest even a minimum of time, the reputation for not eating apparently arising from the "I threw some flake food in and it starved" crowd.

Actually, Trig, I'm envious of your collection.....good luck and good work.

Mike
Old 05/02/2004, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

ribbons

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Dandaneau

the reputation for not eating apparently arising from the "I threw some flake food in and it starved" crowd.

Mike
From what I've read and heard I would add " I left the top wide open and the darn eel got out and died. Man, these guys are tough. "

That said, the reason I've always been nervous to try one has been that I have heard that due to their secretive nature, they are frequently taken with cyanide.
Old 05/02/2004, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't be surprised if that one is true, Mad.

As long, thin and adept as they are, I would imagine catching one would be a real challenge in a reef environment.

We have eels that we've caught in nets, that were caught on hook and line, and that were purchased, all doing equally well, but poisoning can be a one way street with no u-turns for survival, particularly cyanide that shows very few symptoms.

Carpet surfing is always a hazard as well, and an escape proof tank can be a real challenge, particularly with fish that may need to be hand fed and given individual attention.

Mike
Old 05/02/2004, 05:45 PM
Lion addict

Thanks guys, Mike- where have you been lately? Just yesterday you popped up after being gone for months. I missed all your wisdom . I'm envious of your Lookdown and the abilitly to collect Caribbean fish with ease so I think we are square! Have you ever seen or caught a Queen Trigger where you are or are they more south in the "true" Caribbean? I am going to go and try and take pics but his favorite hiding spot is in the back of the tank . Oh well, at least he is turning blue while my other Black may stay black forever....jk.
Old 05/02/2004, 10:33 PM
Dragon Moray Eels
Unregistered

Say Triggeraddict, i think to remember this a good number months ago about a ribbon eel you saved, is this the same one?
Buddy
Old 05/03/2004, 12:18 AM
Lion addict

Nope, this is a totally new one. I got my first Black Ribbon a year go, then I got my Ghost Ribbon probably 4-6months ago and now this is another new Black going Blue Ribbon that is from a different local fish store. You are probably remembering the Ghost Ribbon which was on deaths doorstep when purchased but is now a fully healthy Ghosty.
Old 05/03/2004, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Trigg I am super envious. I would love to have some of those ribbons. Man do i love eels.
Old 05/03/2004, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Jow13, you could have picked a worse family to prefer...........if there's a family of fish that are tougher, more disease resistant and generally immune to operator error, I haven't found it yet.

True, there are some disadvantages, such as ALL of your fish are in the LR most of the time (except for those that bury in the sand, of course), most of them are subject to "carpet surfing" (and when they surf, this means you may find them dried up 2-3 rooms away from the one the aquarium is located in) and some members are just a little prone to cannibalism......oh, and did I mention that some can give their owners a truly nasy bite that may mean a trip to the emergency room?

But what are these, other than minor inconveniences to a true hobbyist?

Since our favorite family is the Scorpaenids, with the eels being number 2 on the list, some actually think we're wierd....what's up with that?

Mike
Old 05/03/2004, 11:01 AM
Fish Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Dandaneau
), "carpet surfing" (and when they surf, this means you may find them dried up 2-3 rooms away from the one the aquarium is located in)

Hey Mike that sound like fun
Old 05/03/2004, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Mike, very true I've no regrets about my affliction for these wonderful creatures. I kinda like how they're always in the rockwork makes the tank more interesting to know there are things lurking in there you can't always see. As stated in several other threads I am seeting up a 240 inwall this summer and one of the first inhabitants will be a zebra morray. I am building pvc pipes throughout the rock work so he'll have plenty of room to hide, and since i'm going to this lenght already i am debating whether to put another eel in there as well, I'm leaning towards yes, But what kind that's the question...
Old 05/03/2004, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

With a zebra, I'm inclined to say whatever type you want, as they get large enough to hold their own with all but the real baddies, like a Green Moray.

After all that work, I just hope the Zebra likes the PVC and doesn't just decide he likes the LR better, a problem that goes with having a mind of their own.

In our 300, we have a Snowflake, a black edge (Ocellated), a Spoon-nosed snake eel and a Green Wolf eel (really a big dottyback) that all get alng fine.............we had two Ocellateds, but one decided to try going down the filter line in the overflow box and its demise was indicated by a tank overflow ( I THOUGHT I had the escape avenues all covered.....oops)

Mike
Old 05/03/2004, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

hey as long as he's happy he can do what he wants. I was thinking possibly a SFE but i don't want him taking chunks outta my fish come feeding time. On live aquaria they have a ghost eel (member of snake eel family) that might be a nice candidate. Trigger is that the same as your ghost ribbon?

I don't want to hijack trigs thread here. So congrats on saving another ribbon.