Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2003, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Talking NOT the same ole Live Rock curing questions.

Hey all,
I am about ready to get the live rock for my 225 project and had an idea or two about the curing/cycle of the tank. I already have a 75 mixed reef tank with 100+ lbs of LR also a refuge with DSB all of which are teeming with life. I have the good luck of being friends with a wholesaler locally and we will drive the 5 hrs to the importer in Los Angeles when the time comes to pick up the rock. The plan is to buy 250 lbs or so of uncured Marshall Island rock directly from the importer and drive straight back to place in the tank. (looks like a long day ahead but what the heck). My thought is what if I took several pieces, probably 20 lbs or so of my 3 year old rock fully colonized with the bacteria needed, and several big scoops of sand from the refuge and put them in the sump and refugium of my new system? Would this speed the curing cycle thus minimizing die off? My goal is survival, not speed. Or would I needlesly kill off 20 lbs of good rock and several 1000 pods and millions of the poor little bacteria guys? I know alot depends on the condition of the rock at the importer and how long they have had it in their facility, with that being beyond my speculatory abilites, I am just trying to plan this out the best I can.

Any comments?
TIA
CAReefer

Last edited by CAreefer; 12/20/2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12/20/2003, 08:44 PM
I need to get a life.

i would think it might help provided that the rock is in good condition (not a whole lot of dieoff) when you get it.

Somehow i'd think it would take a lot more than 20 pounds though.
Old 12/21/2003, 12:29 AM
Local Lizard

Ur best bet is to cycle the tank with some really crappy (not a whole lot of life on it, but bacteria) live rock and some good ol' NH3 :-)

Take it easy