Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2003, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

polyp bailout pictures

Hi Eric,

My tank has been over run with bryopsis for about a year now and I now have a caulastrea and blastomussa exhibiting polyp bailout. I assume it is to try and establish new colonies away from the algae which is growing over and killing all my corals.

The caulastrea I have had for about three years if I remember correctly. It had grown to the size of a softball when I split it in half. One half has been killed by the algae and most of this remaining half has been killed as well.

The blastomussa has been in my tank about two years I think. The algae has not noticeably hurt this coral but perhaps I'm wrong since it is releasing polyps as well.

In this picture the caulastrea has dropped three polyps along with skeletal matter that are forming perfect new clones. It is dropping them off of a "stretch of flesh" that I have indicated with the vertical arrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caulastreausethisone.jpg (16.6 KB, 207 views)
Old 09/03/2003, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

This is the blastomussa. The flesh is also stretching in the direction of the verticle arrow. Pieces of skeleton are evident intermingled with the tissue. I have done nothing to either coral to cause the skeleton to come away with the tissue.

At any rate, I'm sure you have seen this before but I thought it might interest people. I apologize for the point and shoot digital camera pictures but it is all that is available to me. I hope you can at least get the idea of what is happening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bastomussa.jpg (15.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 09/04/2003, 07:55 AM
Eric Borneman

Hi Justin:

I would love some good photos of this, and/or the current ones sent to my email as high res images - I will add them to the archives (www.erichugo.com) and add clcik on tissue dripping images - sorry abotu the site...its going to be worked on one of these days.
Old 09/04/2003, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Hi Eric,

You are welcome to the originals of these pictures. I don't have a hi - res version yet but I will ask a friend tomorrow if I can borrow her camera to take some shots. I will definately use a regular 35 mm camera tonight so that I may at least get some regular photos which I could later scan in and send to you.
Old 09/05/2003, 06:36 AM
Eric Borneman

thanks
Old 09/05/2003, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I got the film back today and have some good shots. I'm going to scan them in and get them to you tomorrow.
Old 09/07/2003, 07:56 AM
Eric Borneman

great, and thanks again!!
Old 09/07/2003, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry about the delay. Here are reduced versions of the pictures I will be sending you. I have tried to email you through reef central but I have not been able to attach the pictures. Is there another account you would like me to send them to?

Here is the first onemuch more detail in the original)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blastomussa1rctry.jpg (25.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 09/07/2003, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry about the delay. Here are reduced versions of the pictures I will be sending you. I have tried to email you through reef central but I have not been able to attach the pictures. Is there another account you would like me to send them to?

Here is the first onemuch more detail in the original)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blastomussa1rctry.jpg (15.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 09/07/2003, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Well,

I'm having trouble attaching a decent sized picture so I will just email you all the pictures I have. Just let me know where to send them.

Thanks
Old 09/08/2003, 04:08 PM
Eric Borneman

Hi Justin

EricHugo@aol.com