Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2003, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Dreaded Xenia

DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO RID MY TANK OF XENIA ? I TRYED TO INJECT IT WITH KALK IT NEVER MISSED A BEAT, NOW IM THINKING MAYBE STOP APTASIA . PEELING IT OFF DOESNT WORK .PLEASE NO SARCASTIC REPLIES . HELP IM DESPERATE ITS STARTING TO SHADE MY CLAMS AND SPS ANY IDEAS?
Old 06/21/2003, 12:27 PM
S Oregon Reefkeepers Club

Some angel or butterfly fish that eat it, a natural predator of Xenia is always a better choice than chemicals.
Old 06/21/2003, 12:31 PM
RC Sponsor

Are you talking about aiptasia or xenia?Xenia can be safefully removed with a sharp scalpel or exacto knife.A quick cut and removal will prevent it from polluting your tank.
Old 06/21/2003, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

ITS XENIA BUT IT YOU LEAVE ANY FLESH WHEN CUTTING IT OFF IT WILL GROW RIGHT BACK AND SPREAD OUT EVEN WORSE
Old 06/21/2003, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

calm down! first...look at your keyboard and find the key that says "Caps Lock" turn it off

Xenia is always either friend or foe...I have found that it does not like a clean tank. That is to say if your tank is a little on the overstocked side Xenia seems to thrive. I would just keep on attacking it and super glue the frags to LR then take to LFS and atleast get some satisfaction out of your trouble
Old 06/21/2003, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

THATS WHY I WAS THINKING ABOUT STOP APTASIA MAYBE IT WILL GET THIS STUFF TO LIFT OFF AT THE BASE . ANYBODY EVER USE THIS STUFF IN A SPS TANK WITH NO ILL EFFECTS ?
Old 06/21/2003, 01:01 PM
RC Sponsor

I have used stop aiptasia on aiptasia on my 220 SPS tank with no adverse effect. However the problem with xenia is that by killing them with stop aiptasia,the dead/dying xenia will pollute your tank.
Old 06/21/2003, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

I would try a racoon faced butterfly...they eat aptasia like a fiend and after mt aptasia was gone started on the Xenia....
Old 06/21/2003, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

I have "xenia gone mad" too. So, if I understand the prior posts correctly, I can cut it off with a scalpel at the base and it will not regrow from there? I will do that SOON. It's too bad bc its really pretty xenia and pulses a lot, but every time a stalk bends and touchs it rock it makes another stalk. From two tiny stalks to 14 in four months. It's now marching toward my galaxia. That should be interesting.
Old 06/21/2003, 02:19 PM
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by newschool
calm down! first...look at your keyboard and find the key that says "Caps Lock" turn it off
Old 06/21/2003, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Just cut the xenia back...much like a bonsai tree or an evergreen shrub in front of your house. It’s got to fit in the space somewhat right? Or else why was it even placed there? Just cut it back, they are a wonderful coral and I would take their "plague" anytime