Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2003, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation WANTED: New Tank Lighting Suggestions

The plumbing is done, the tank set up recirculating freshwater to ensure everything is in tip top shape (sort of a dry run with water in it). There is limited space now that is why the system is so small and the system is being built for upgradability in the future to a larger tank when space is available.

Tank description: 36"L x 12" W x 16" H (30 gallon)
10 Gallon sump with berlin skimmer and MAG 9 pumping water back to tank
10 gallon refugium T-ed off of return line Refugium is above tank with slow flow (overflow) back into tank at 100GPH)
Total GPH of flow to and from sump/refugium is ~500gph
One or two powerheads inside tank to fill in dead spots and use venturi to keep HOB overflow from losing syphon. (HOB overflow DIY, not a utube)

Going for a SPS dominated tank...so I thought I would post my questions here.

Now comes the time to make the order for lights. Im designing the hood with a friend (who happens to be a electrician) and we are going to setup this

One 250w Metal halide in center
Two 96w PC (32.5 inch)
Total of 450w over 30 gallons with max depth of 14 inches (going with a small 1-2 inch sandbed)

My questions are these:

What K should the metal halide be?
I liked the looks of the sunburst in one tank I saw, but afraid I wouldnt get very good growth. Iwasakis are too yellow looking to me but i havent seen them with two actinics to see the difference.

Should I go with two actinic PCs or One 10,000k PC and one Actinic PC? I want the most beauty I can get from my SPS without too yellow of a color.

What would be other light combinations I should consider?

I was originally going to go with two 250w MH but its a bit out of my price range right now, but will probably upgrade to that withing a year.

Thank you for your time answering these simple questions.
Old 04/30/2003, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

try the ushio 10k i herd that you get good growth with that one. a 65k will be good for the growth too. but thats too yellow you need alot of actinic.

if you add another 250 watts Mh dont you think is a little too much for a 30g? well you will end up with a 30g sea soup
Old 04/30/2003, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

if you add another 250 watts Mh dont you think is a little too much for a 30g? well you will end up with a 30g sea soup

You mean with heat? We got the heat part figured out. Used dual 175w halides to figure that out on the hood, and the room is kept pretty cool the tank is going to be in. With 20 gallons external with no light sources heating them up the heat with two 175's (stripped off friends tank at night for tests) our tank temp hung at about 80 degrees.

We are using computer case fans (several of them) in the hood design plugged into a standard computer powersupply that sits in a drawer under the tank.

I was under the impression that the more lights the better. You think its bad for the corals to have 23+ watts per gallon or 700 watts of lights over a 30 gallon tank.

Keep in mind Im building this system for upgradeability when I have more room to stick a tank. Next upgrade will probably be a 125 so I will only need to buy one more MH for it when the time comes.
Old 04/30/2003, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

If you want nice coloration get a 400w radium. I have one on my 15. I have no heat problems with a fan blowing over the surface. My frags and clam look great. And if you like the look of a sunburst you would prob like the radium.
Old 04/30/2003, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I just got my self some 400 watts radiums dual for my 75g. they are great for sps. i got alot of watts becouse i may upgrade my tank too. all i will need is just an other MH bulb, could be a 250 or 400 watts 65k for the good growth.
Old 04/30/2003, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

When you consider the difference between what you pay for a 175 and a 250 (marginal cost), and you want the ability to upgrade in the future, the 250 makes more sense. All of my recent purchases have been with upgrading in mind, since it's cheaper to buy something that's overkill now than to buy another one a few years down the road. That's not to say that you can't keep sps with a 175; lots of people do. There's also alot more to their health and growth than just light.
Old 05/01/2003, 09:33 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

i vote for 1x400w Radium.... great light!! my 20H is LOVING this bulb. maybe just do 1x400w Radium and 1xactinic pc just for dawn dusk

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-