Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/04/2003, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Please recommend an external pump!

I need an external pump for my water return. I have an Oceanic 75g RR and will have a 20 - 30 gallon sump. Which pump should I go with? In case it matters, I'll also be setting up a closed loop with a 1" outtake returning to a 3/4" Sea Swirl (I need to purchase this pump as well). Thanks!
Old 02/04/2003, 03:59 PM
Electrical Madman!

I have a 90 gallon with a Little Giant MD-3 QX (isn't the exact manufacturer number, I think it's 3-mdqx-sc or something) and i actually have to shut it part way down with a ball valve on the return or it will overflow my tank. I have an all-glass pre-drilled with 1 overflow. the MD-2 QX would be a good main pump for a 75. I know people that have had little giant pumps for over 10 years without any problems. that's why i chose them.
Old 02/04/2003, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else?
Old 02/04/2003, 11:20 PM
I love fans

The best plan would be to use a smaller return pump from your sump like a mag 5, and use a larger pump for your closed loop.

An ampmaster 2700 or 3000 would be a good choice for closed loop. They run very quietly and energy efficient. The older models had seal problems, but it seems dolphin has got this worked out.
Old 02/04/2003, 11:40 PM
Lover Of Gadgets

I would have to say Iwaki md40 for you, it cost more and runs a few more watts but at the end of the day it will still be runnig when the rest are dead
good luck cisco
Old 02/05/2003, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

I have a 60 gal and I use a MAG9.5 connected to a 3/4" sea-swirl. For the closed loop, I use a GenX-Mak4 connected to a SCWD. Both of them work well.
HTH
Old 02/05/2003, 01:49 AM
Premium Member

I'd use 2 x Iwaki MD30RLXT and 2 x 3/4"SS or even 1"SS...
Old 02/05/2003, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

For reliabilty and long life I would go with Iwaki, either the WMD or MD 30RLXT.
Old 02/05/2003, 04:07 AM
Member Registered

I personally like the custom sea life T series pumps
Old 02/05/2003, 08:19 AM
Moved On

I highly recommend an external pump....
Old 02/05/2003, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

For $150 you can get a GenX/Mak-4.
Mine has run 24/7 for the last 5 years on my protein skimmer with no problems.

If my current GenX ever dies, I will buy another to replace it.

Just my 2ΒΆ.
Old 02/05/2003, 10:05 AM
refeeR daM

Actually, I'd use Iwaki 55 RLT, split the return. That should give you around 900 gph when it gets in your tank...after all the pressure loss (hope your overflow can handle it. The Iwaki 30 RXLT has no fan on it so it'll get hot. The 40 RLT/RXLT costs too much and isn't as energy efficient as the 55 RLT. More bang for your buck..go with 55 RLT...that's what I have on my 180-soon-to-be. Mag 5 is WAY underpower to even get the water back into your tank. That's the pump I use for my storage water for topoff by the way.
Old 02/05/2003, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Hey Patrick,
I have a 75gal tank too. I did not yet fill it up with saltwater but i have my overflow,sump,and return pumps a test run and it worked perfectly. After asking this board if i should go with 1 strong pump or 2 good sized return pumps, i decided to buy 2 mag 5's. I do suggest u do this also. If for some reason 1 of the pumps fail, u have another running so u really dont have to worry about your sump overflowing. Combined with about 4' of head pressure, the mag 5's give me about 350gph each which =700 together. That by itself is almost 10x turnover rate. I also have 2 maxijet 1200's which are like 300gph or something like that each which will be enough circulation for my tank.
Hope this helps,
Alex
Old 02/05/2003, 12:11 PM
Fish Addict

1) go external. Don't use internal pumps, and don't use "submersibles" externally. Not great long term (>5 year) solutions

2) use separate pumps for the return and the closed loop

3) closed loops fight a lot of head pressure, so use a larger pump than you'd think and consider a "pressure rated" pump. Frankly, I'd rather skip this idea and invest in tunze streams instead.

4) use a return pump that'll get ya 5-700 gph at your head pressure (probably around 4 feet)

5) CSL velocity pumps--dead silent, seriously nothing else is this quiet, can't tell they're on, BUT do dump heat into the system. If you're running halide lighting forget it. I've got a T2 and it's great for my 60, but then, my tank barely gets into the 80 range with the lights on.

6) MANY other options that don't dump heat into your system, but all are noisier--but this is relative. GRI, Blueline, Iwaki, GenX, Dolphin, Sequence etc... L.G.'s IME are among the noisiest. Iwaki's are only a little bit quieter, especially the larger ones. Sequence and Dolphin's don't come small, so maybe for the closed loop, but not for the return. Blueline's are REALLY energy efficient, but haven't been out all that long. I've got a Blueline 800 that seems pretty good...but I'm getting a new skimmer and a GRI to go with it. Several posters like the GRI's.
Old 02/05/2003, 12:17 PM
Electrical Madman!

I agree with moonpod. noise is relative. everyone will have different experiences with different pumps in their own application. Personally, I think that my L.G. is pretty quiet, but it might not be for someone else's definition of quiet. Again agreeing with moonpod, I would say that the CSL pumps are awesome pumps.
Old 02/05/2003, 01:24 PM
Loan Shark Willy

for those with the Iwaki MD-30rxlt (pressure pump, right?), how quiet does it run? i am thinking of using one of them for my return pump.

tia
Old 02/05/2003, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Emperator
for those with the Iwaki MD-30rxlt (pressure pump, right?), how quiet does it run? i am thinking of using one of them for my return pump.

tia

The RLXT is NOT for pressure situations, the RLT is.. I have the Iwaki 40 rlt and it is a bit noisier than I had hoped, but not as noisy as the l.g.
Old 02/05/2003, 05:48 PM
Aspiring Polymath

I agree with the suggestions above. The Iwaki brand of pumps has shown to be extremely durable and reliable. I personally use a MD-40RLT for my skimmer.

For the setup you described, I'd probably go with a MD-30RLXT. I don't think you have a lot of back pressure on the line so you could probably get away with a non-pressure rated pump. I prefer the MD-30 rather than the MD-40 because the MD-30 does not have a cooling fan. The noise from the fan is not terrible, but it is certainly audible.
Old 02/05/2003, 10:56 PM
I love fans

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
1) go external. Don't use internal pumps, and don't use "submersibles" externally. Not great long term (>5 year) solutions
I know numerous people who have been running mag pumps for over 5 years.

Quote:
3) closed loops fight a lot of head pressure, so use a larger pump than you'd think and consider a "pressure rated" pump. Frankly, I'd rather skip this idea and invest in tunze streams instead.
How exactly are they "fighting alot of head pressure". A closed loop means it is fighting very little to no head height and only has frictional loses.

Quote:
4) use a return pump that'll get ya 5-700 gph at your head pressure (probably around 4 feet)
The trend now is to run a much smaller return pump from the sump, and a high GPH closed loop. Keeps the noise levels down from the falling water.

Quote:
6) MANY other options that don't dump heat into your system, but all are noisier--but this is relative. GRI, Blueline, Iwaki, GenX, Dolphin, Sequence etc... L.G.'s IME are among the noisiest. Iwaki's are only a little bit quieter, especially the larger ones. Sequence and Dolphin's don't come small, so maybe for the closed loop, but not for the return. Blueline's are REALLY energy efficient, but haven't been out all that long. I've got a Blueline 800 that seems pretty good...but I'm getting a new skimmer and a GRI to go with it. Several posters like the GRI's.
GRI pumps are pretty noisy also. Iwakis are loud, not as loud as the LGs, but definatly noticable. Blueline pumps are quiet, as are Dolphins.
Old 02/06/2003, 12:03 AM
Fish Addict

slipknottin:
I won't argue about the mags, but I personally would still rather have a true "dedicated" external pump.

Closed loops have to fight on the intake side often, as it gets cumbersome and clumsy to have the pump elevated to right behind the intake bulkheads. This is in effect the same as putting a ball valve on the intake side of the pump--something I've been told is deleterious to pump perfomance and life though I still don't exactly understand why. Personally, I'd rather use tunze streams anyway, but that's a separate issue

Finally, I hope that GRI's arent' that noisy 'cause I just ordered one. When I trolled for opinions and asking vendors, most stated that they are quiter than iwakis. I have a blueline, and I don't think it's all that quiet honestly.
Old 02/06/2003, 12:21 AM
Reefaholic

I've got a Mak4 for the closed loop on my 75gal