Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2002, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Just a Word of Thanks

To all the wonderful folks who stop by Reef Central.

It has been an interesting and challenging run, but I am closing Atlantis Aquatics today.

I want to Thanks Reef Central for all of it's support!!!

As I return to the ranks of hobbyist, I reflect back on all the good and bad times over the years, trying to make a go of it as a conscientious reef farmer. It has been a tough road and I made a few mistakes. Perhaps starting a coral farm in an area with one of the highest electrical prices in the country was a bad idea, but it was an idea that I loved.
Perhaps selling true tank aquacultured corals with long tank raised lineage lines instead of hacking wild caught corals and selling them as tank raised was an economic nightmare, but I sleep well know I tried to be honest.

The best part of the whole experience has been the people I have met, the friends I have made. Many of those friends right here on this board. To you I say thanks for being the great people that you are.

Brian Conger
Old 12/27/2002, 11:11 AM
Shaolin Reefer

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, Brian. It's really a shame.

Thanks for being contientious, and for the attempt! Ever think about trying the greenhouse method? Could save on e-

Again, sorry!
Old 12/27/2002, 11:16 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear of your closing. Though I haven't gotten to the point yet myself of adding much in the way of corals myself, I know what closing the door is like. I have been in numerous businesses over the years, including the present one, and it is a struggle. But, keep your chin up, take care, the sun will come up again tomorrow.
Best regards,
Old 12/27/2002, 11:22 AM
Moved On

Wow! Sorry to here this. The corals I got from you are doing great!! Wish I had more. You will be missed.

Regards,

Brad Gardner
Old 12/27/2002, 11:42 AM
Highly Ionized

Brian,
The corals I got from you (Tortuosa, Micropthalma, Formosa, montiporas and many more) live on in my tanks and a hundred others I'm sure. So the lineage, at least, continues.
It was a fantastic venture! I feel privileged to have seen it and participated in some small way.
Good luck in your future endeavors. See ya round.
Old 12/27/2002, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

I'm sorry to here the news also Brian! You've been there since propogated corals were invented... Hopefully you're remaining in the hobby with at least one display tank? Perhaps you can down scale to just selling frags out of there (no overhead)?

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 12/27/2002, 12:00 PM
Reefer

Brian,

Ppl selling coral face some tough choices. You've taken the higher road IMO. Keep your parent colonies in good health. I have a feeling someday not too long from now things will swing in favor of the domestic coral farmer. Keep the faith!

GL!
Old 06/17/2003, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

Re: Just a Word of Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by ATLANTIS

As I return to the ranks of hobbyist, I reflect back on all the good and bad times over the years, trying to make a go of it as a conscientious reef farmer.
It has been a tough road and I made a few mistakes. Perhaps starting a coral farm in an area with one of the highest electrical prices in the country was a bad idea, but it was an idea that I loved.
Perhaps selling true tank aquacultured corals with long tank raised lineage lines instead of hacking wild caught corals and selling them as tank raised was an economic nightmare, but I sleep well know I tried to be honest.

The best part of the whole experience has been the people I have met, the friends I have made. Many of those friends right here on this board. To you I say thanks for being the great people that you are.

Brian Conger
AHHHHH I am so behind on whats been happening and missed this thread.
What a real shame you could not continue I know from experence it is a hard long road selling true tank aquacultured corals with long tank raised lineage lines and so few are doing it the correct way.

I see the ever increasing amount of shops and people setting up and hacking wild caught corals and selling them as tank raised.
But I hold true to raising fully tank raised mounted grown out frags.

I only started my farm in May 2000 it took until Nov 2002 until I first started selling my fully tank raised corals and from then to now its just a few species to raise money to upgrade and cover extra costs I hope to be selling full time by the end of this year.
It has taken me at lest a year in most cases to get a few 2nd gen frags from a wild imported Acropora.

Anyway I am really sorry to here you have closed up its a big loss for many hobbyist in the US.
I wish you all the luck in your new adventures Brian.

Many regards
Martyn

PS I remember our PM chats we had on reefs.org chat about the ins and outs of propagating sps corals and you talking about the electric costs then.

Last edited by Martyn; 06/17/2003 at 09:04 AM.