Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb After Algae

Sorry about this thread, I saw the same thread a while ago, but I can't seem to find it. Its been about 3 weeks and my tank has now started to grow algae. I cycled my tank with live sand and the paramaters are fine. PH is 8.2-8.3 (the water is a strange color inbetween both indicators) Nitrate is like .25 or something and Nitrite is 0. Q couple days ago, I noticed the brown algae started to grow a little, and the following days my tank was full of brown algae. I used Purple Up the pasts couple of days to help the algae process, but should I be getting a clean up crew? And I have a algae scrapper, but i want all my LR to be full of algae, but I don't know whether or not I should scrape the rocks. Help please? and further instructions would be nice. Sorry about my life story with my tank. Long Thread
Old 01/10/2008, 09:49 PM
forever newbie

What are the params besides ph? If amm. and nitrIte is at 0 and nitrAtes is .5 or slightly less then you can add your cleanup crew. Don't take an algae scrapper to your rock. What you should do is blast your rocks with a turkey baster. Get the crud up in the water column this way and your skimmer can take some of it out.
Why are you adding Purple Up? It's a waste of money IMO.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Ammonia is 0 too. Can't I just move one of my powerheads to blow into the rocks? And I also heard that purple up rises calcium levels, creating more algae. I dunno my cousin gave me a rock with purple algae, so I'm just trying make my tank purple
Old 01/10/2008, 10:40 PM
Caulastrea sp

if ammonia is 0 too get yourself some snails! look around a bit because different snails eat different stuff.

i think purple up is a waste of money...just my opinion...it is supposed to promote the growth of coralline algae....check out g.a.r.f on promoting coralline growth.

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 01/10/2008, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

That "brown algae"that you speak of is diatoms.
It's normal for your tank to have a break out shortly after the cycle is completed.I would get some hardy turbo snails in there ans see how they do.Also at least 3-4 blue legged crabs.They wont eat the diatoms,but they'll get to work on any green that starts.The diatoms will start to die off in about a week or two.
Then the greens will come in fast.It's all part of aging your tank,so don't freak about it.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

So after the green, the purple will come in?