Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

xtrene 200

I installed mine last night. The water level in the skimmer hasnt risen above the part on the skimmer where it tapers up. Is this normal. Its in about 11 inches of water and the tank is stocked with live rock and fish.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:05 PM
Tank Collector

I think you have it too deep..... The max water depth should be 10".... I would build a skimmer "stand" of about 2" and get it around the 9" depth mark...
Old 01/10/2008, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

disregard if you have, but did you turn the riser tube to adjust?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:31 PM
I buy in bulk!

My Octo 200 sits in 14 inches of water and works great. A stable water level is needed as well as proper adjustment of the riser tube.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 01/10/2008, 08:53 PM
Tank Collector

His is a MSX Xtreme 200.... different setups.....

I would get it set to the recommended water height which is 8-10"....
Old 01/10/2008, 09:17 PM
I buy in bulk!

I know its a different setup but was stating what I had and where it sits. Many of the recently released skimmers have the same general design, it just takes the proper tweaking to make them work for your setup.

Octopus recommends the same 8-10" depth and mine is nearly double the low end and works outstanding.

The biggest factor is not the water depth but making sure the riser tube/gate valve is adjusted properly. In my opinion anyway.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
His is a MSX Xtreme 200.... different setups.....

I would get it set to the recommended water height which is 8-10"....
mine is the 250, I thought the 200's were just a little smaller than the 250's and only one pump, but still have an adjustable riser tube, no? I agree with the water level though.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:42 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowCobra
I know its a different setup but was stating what I had and where it sits. Many of the recently released skimmers have the same general design, it just takes the proper tweaking to make them work for your setup.

Octopus recommends the same 8-10" depth and mine is nearly double the low end and works outstanding.

The biggest factor is not the water depth but making sure the riser tube/gate valve is adjusted properly. In my opinion anyway.
Beats me Todd....

I'm just all for doing what the manufacturer recommends.... To an extent anyways..... They should still have the adjustable riser tube, but I know that some of the other people with the MSX's said that the lower water level actually gave them better results...
Old 01/11/2008, 12:21 AM
I buy in bulk!

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
Beats me Todd....

I'm just all for doing what the manufacturer recommends.... To an extent anyways..... They should still have the adjustable riser tube, but I know that some of the other people with the MSX's said that the lower water level actually gave them better results...
While I agree with you to an extent about following the manufacturers recommendation it is in fact just that... a recommendation. Short of having an identical setup I think 2 people are going to find that because they have different configurations they in turn have different needs for what works best.

Sometimes thinking outside the box gives the best results.

Old 01/11/2008, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

I adjusted the riser tube is it almost closed and water level in skimmer is good now. how far shut is everyone elses riser tube?