Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Need info on a skimmer

So my brother in law just bought this skimmer and I was wondering if it is any good? He is just getting ready to start his tank and it was on sale so he picked it up it is apparently good for up to 100Gal tanks. I was just reading about this skimmer I may tell him top keep it and run Rowa Phos in the media chamber even if it isn't a great skimmer he can always buy another one after.

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....2c4+1199744690

Just remember one thing it was all started by a mouse

25 before 12 HABS over the Leafs every time...

Last edited by HABS#1; 01/07/2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

I actually seen this running at an LFS here over the weekend. It was working, as it was full of gunk. But, other than that, I'm not sure if there's anything better out there.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/07/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dileggi
I actually seen this running at an LFS here over the weekend. It was working, as it was full of gunk. But, other than that, I'm not sure if there's anything better out there.
Thanks I guess if it doesn't do much as a skimmer for him it will still work for the rowaphos and phosphate removal in the water. Plus he only paid 150 bucks for it so it isn't like he will be out huge money. BTW how do you empty this it doesn't from the picture look like there is a collection cup like your normal skimmer did you happen to notice when you saw it?

Old 01/07/2008, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

You know, I never took notice if there was a plug in the bottom to empty it, or if you had to remove it. Let me know if you need me to check it out in person again. I'm going back to the LFS on Friday after work. I'm currently trying to make some changes to my 75g African Cichild and I'm in the process of setting up a 2.5g custom nano reef....needless to say I'll be there a lot in the upcomming weeks! LOL!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/07/2008, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

what size tank is it on?

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 01/07/2008, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dileggi
You know, I never took notice if there was a plug in the bottom to empty it, or if you had to remove it. Let me know if you need me to check it out in person again. I'm going back to the LFS on Friday after work. I'm currently trying to make some changes to my 75g African Cichild and I'm in the process of setting up a 2.5g custom nano reef....needless to say I'll be there a lot in the upcomming weeks! LOL!
Thanks if you don't mind any and all info on it would be beneficial. He just ordered it today and was telling me about it before I came in to work. So I told him I would dig up some infop for him this week.

For the size tank it is going on it will be on a 65 Gal I think is what he bought but I may be mistaken he may have gotten the same 75 I have I haven't seen it yet.

Old 01/07/2008, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I've had one of these before..It works but it tends to wet skim and then overflow so I'd be careful with it. There are a few mods you can do to it to make it perform better.Just do a search for them. One Mod i can think of right off the bat is to lengthen the air hose from the utube to the collection cup so you can raise the collection cup up about 1.5 to 2 inches.Then you'll be abled to turn the skimmer dial up a little more and it will skim better.

Also there is no waste valve on it so you'll have to take the top off evey time to dump it unless you drill it near the bottom and glue one on.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

do you have a sump?

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 01/07/2008, 06:42 PM
RC Mod

That skimmer doesn't get the best of reviews, but there's no objective data on skimmer performance.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefhead165
do you have a sump?
No he will not have a sump he is going with a hang on filter to cheap to do a canister and doesn't want to run a fuge or sump.

NCGuy thanks for the tip I will let him know and also do a search for the fixes for this setup. Anything to makle sure it is less likely to spill over and leak is a good thing especuially onto his newly installed hardwood floors LOL.