Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Angry Flatworms

I cant seem to get rid of this flatworm infestation I have in my tank. Already lost one head of a torch coral to it and now its all over my hammer. Ive gone through an entire bottle of flatworm exit treating my tank 3 times. Looking for any suggestions on how to rid my tank of these buggers.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01/07/2008, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

what sort of flatworms are they? the clearish ones, or the yellow ones with the red spot? I had a yellow infestation in a previous version of my reef and after the addition of a manderin the problem was gone.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I'll second the manderin suggestion. I had a tons of them, added a manderin, haven't seen any in 2 years. This was in an 80gal system.
It's important to make sure you have lots of natural prey for them when the flatworms are gone. Many of them won't accept prepared foods.

Last edited by woodwonders; 01/07/2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

I had a ton that i got off a frag from someone that took out a few euphilias and added a bunch of wrasses and now you cant find one if you try. I cant pin point who exactly did it but I love em all for it.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

I have that six line I got from lando and I have never seen one in my tank
Old 01/07/2008, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

He started the assault I do know that much
Old 01/07/2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

All of the above should help.
An individual (synchiropis slendidus)Pscheldelic mandarin, may or may not eat flat worms. The (synchiropus picturatus) is a bit more reliable predator.
I've used flatworm exit in the past with success. I had to dose 3x over the course of a week and worked the dosage up to 150% of the reccomended dose without ill effect. The danger with this method as you know is the toxins from the dying flatworms. I siphponed up everyone I could. I added a hob filter without carbon to castch the dying worms in the filter pad after administeing the dose. I also placed a small power head on the bottom of the tank to blow into the rocks. After the prescribed period of time( I think it was 45 mins) I rinsed the filter pad and added carbon in the hob. I also did a 30% water change
Old 01/07/2008, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I had them early on in my aquarium. Bought a pseudochromis-springeri and had no more flatworms in the display. Still have em in my sump but the display is worm-free. With the adition of the pseudo, no more flatworms...
Old 01/07/2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I knew they ate bristle worms. Didn't know about flat worms.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Scooter blenny for me.