Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Happy things went good at the meeting

I'm so glad we all came together and decided what's best for us...and not one side or the other. We meshed and formed something feasible for everyone and not just ourselves. I'm happy to be apart of a real club yet still have small social gatherings.

I'm ready for some raffles!

See yall soon! Hopefully Feb 3rd or the 10th.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 01/06/2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

DrHank wrote on 01/06/2008 07:29 PM:
This is what I've hastily put together. I feel a bit toasted tonight so I'm going to put it aside. Please feel free to hack it up and send me your suggestions/corrections/improvements/etc. I'll recompile it and shoot it back to you for re-review. We'll only get one chance to say what we want to say so let's take our time (but hurry) and see if we can't get it out this week. Thanks for all your help.

During today’s business meeting there was a lot discussed and some decisions made. The following is a short synopsis.

A decision was made to formally establish the “Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers Society” as a not for profit organization.

Interim officers elected were: Jim Hankison (DrHank) President
Jared Waites (JaredWaites) Vice President
Chris Kadletz (KADLETZ) Secretary
Heather Owens (jadeguppy) Treasurer

It was decided to join the Marine Aquarium Society of North America (MASNA) and to avail ourselves of their resources.

It was decided to use their resources in the development of a club website and for
• Assistance in planning our meetings and conferences
• Access to speakers
• Their quarterly newsletter
• A collective voice in national and international initiatives
• Efforts to protect the hobby from abuse and restrictive legislation

chris kadletz
many things need to be talked about at the next meeting, raffles, speakers, trips, and ideas. all this will take time but we can do much more to help others, and ourselfs.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Yeah I agree...alot to be figured out...and all of your opinions count.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 01/06/2008, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

I feel good about the meeting and what was achieved. Many ideas were submitted and debated in order to reach a consensus. For those of you who were unable to make it, please see the above post by "Sec. KADLETZ".

It's my sincere hope that everyone who joins will find an organized club both useful and beneficial. I'm certainly looking forward to guest speakers and "nut & bolts" discussions with some of the pioneers within our hobby.

Thanks Jadeguppy for the hospitality. It was nice meeting everyone.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Glad to hear everything went well at the meeting. I am sorry i didn't get back soon enough to get there. Looking forward to hearing about the results.

Bill.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11537795#post11537795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scootman
I feel good about the meeting and what was achieved. Many ideas were submitted and debated in order to reach a consensus. For those of you who were unable to make it, please see the above post by "Sec. KADLETZ".

It's my sincere hope that everyone who joins will find an organized club both useful and beneficial. I'm certainly looking forward to guest speakers and "nut & bolts" discussions with some of the pioneers within our hobby.

Thanks Jadeguppy for the hospitality. It was nice meeting everyone.
Send me some pictures of the new rock you got today! Lets see your tank Mr. Moody

Old 01/06/2008, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Talking

Mr. Moody?....SSshhhhh... You can't use my real name on here. That's Mr. Scootman to you...

Let's see is I can get some pictures to post on here:

This is a picture of my tank and stand.

This picture was actually taken a few weeks ago. Notice the hair algae problem. Luckily, It's getting much better now. I'd say, that I've nearly doubled the Live Rock. Still need to get more, but I'm working on an aquascape and will add more rock later.

Peace,
Scoots
Old 01/06/2008, 11:35 PM
Spine Straightener

Aquascape! Heck, just pile it up and rent a triggerfish. That should take care of your aquascape!
Old 01/07/2008, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Awesome stand! Did you build it or buy it?
Old 01/07/2008, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Bought it. Long story, but here's the short version.

Once upon a time, I was a young college kid. Had about 8 aquariums set up in my apartment. All were pieced together from old junk found our bought at garage sales. I later got married and my wife didn't want all the "junk" laying around her house. For over 10 years and asked for a nice aquarium as a Birthday or Christmas gift. 10 years of begging finally paid off last year. The only condition is that it must stay "presentable" at all times.

So my inner geek has moved all his Mad Scientist experiments out into the garage. That's where all my tinkering takes place. I'm currently working on a PVC frame to attach all my rocks. My goal is to have things easily able to remove/add parts without having to re-arrange everything. I'm wanting to conceal my powerheads in a way they are totally hidden.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

That's a great idea about the PVC frame...you can even use that Krylon Fusion (the plastic spray paint) to paint it...its reef safe after it drys. So you could go paint it purple if you wanted it to look like coralline, that or black. Another thing to think about is drilling your rocks and having the pipe run through them....that really works well for making natural ledges and having the tank not look like its just got rock stacked up by someone. Good luck Scootman

Old 01/07/2008, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like you guys have been busy. I'm excited to see where we'll be in another 5 months when I get back.

-Mike C.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

We'll be a lot bigger and better hopefully

Old 01/07/2008, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to make it out there guys, I was stuck at the house waiting for this damn person to come look at this junk had for sale on craigslist.... Now as a "not for profit organization" are you saying you are actually trying to fill out the paperwork and get the go from the state? Sorry, I may just be confused with just having being part of a 501c3 non-profit organization. When I used to have my car club going and everything what I had was sponsors that would give me an item to throw into the raffle, with the funds from selling the raffle tickets it went towards future BBQs, meets, website dues, decals, other money spent by the club. I'll try my best to be at the meet in Feb..
Old 01/08/2008, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Which car club?
Old 01/08/2008, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

You probably never heard of it... Nissan_Crew. I had about 30 members locally and about 100 worldwide
Old 01/08/2008, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11546944#post11546944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MantisBrad
When I used to have my car club going and everything what I had was sponsors that would give me an item to throw into the raffle, with the funds from selling the raffle tickets it went towards future BBQs, meets, website dues, decals, other money spent by the club. I'll try my best to be at the meet in Feb..
Not For Profit - will help us with all of the above stuff as well as some other items. The plan was to get the forms filled out and begin moving ahead, Doc is checking with some people to see about the forms as well as some of the other Charter Leadership

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01/08/2008, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Doc is doing the charter leadership thing.

I'm getting the forms hopefully today for the NPO>

Old 01/10/2008, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

I hate that we missed the meeting too, but thanks all of you for the recap.
What was decided as far as dues go?

*Hey Jared, I didn't ever hear...are you guys having a boy or girl?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Dues will be yearly and we are going to work a few more details out on it...but roughly 20.00, or you can pay quarterly if you wish. The money paid will go towards raffle items, our MASNA membership, bank account stuff (if needed?), and other items needed to make a meeting function...like DIY supplies if we are having an activity.

Tonya,

Thanks for asking, we are having a girl...due date is April 7th.

Old 01/10/2008, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

well kind sir. if Dues only comes around once a year or quarterly for that matter he or she better be worth it!!!!!--------------bad chris-bad ---chris---lol