Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Help with ACjr. please

I have recently purchased an ACjr. on reefcentral and I understand basic programming, but I have run into a problem. I have two modded maxi-jet 1200's in the corners of my tank and I want them to alternate on/off. I can get them to do this, but they switch direction of flow every time they are turned off then on. I only want them to flow one direction is this possible. PLEASE HELP!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

this is nothing to do with the acjr. A/C pumps aren't made to be controlled like this. in your case, this is a malfunction with the pump, probably because of the modification. I dont' have any experience with the mjmods, but that is what you will want to research. good luck
Old 01/05/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

No, the mod is just to the plastic piece that controls the flow of the water it should change nothing with the electronics of the mj1200.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

The impeller in the MJs will change direction when powered on and off. Some ppl will cut off the nozzle and expose part of the impeller. Put them on a wave maker and when the power head powers off and on the impeller will change direction. This will give random flow from left to right at each power cycle.

Most magnetic pumps have no way of controlling impeller direction. That is why the impellers are flat bladed and the housing is symmetrical.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

As others have mentioned, this is definitely a problem with all AC pumps. Propeller pumps should not be cycled on any controller that completely turns them on and off on a regular basis. Look into the SEIO controller for your AC propeller. You will see the great lengths SEIO went to in order to make a controller that actually only slows the AC pumps down.
FB
Old 01/06/2008, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

You can do this but you have to incorporate a "stop" into your mod kit. The Koralias do this by allowing the prop shaft to be longer than it should be... if the pump starts backwards the pressure from pushing the water against the housing causes the prop to slide away and at some point it looses magnetism with the motor and stops spinning... then odds are when it slipdes back in it will be spinning the correct direction. It can be done... it's done everyday. I'm running Koralias on my AC Jr now for a GOOD while and it's flawless.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the replies but it sounds like I am SOL because it will be more trouble than it is worth I guess I will have to mount the power heads diff. so the switching of direction is benificial.