Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Newbie question, would like some advice!

Ok, i have been purchasing ro/di and ocean filtered water for my top off and water change.

However, i have just purchased a ro/di unit to produce my own water. So first off, i was wondering. Is it ok to switch from natural ocean water to pre-mix saltwater?

Second, what is the proper way to make the saltwater?

Do i need a pump in the bucket to mix the salt? do i need a heater in the bucket to get the temp right to mix?

Please, a little advice would be great.

Also, what brand of salt would anyone suggest?

Thanks!!
Old 01/05/2008, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

instant ocean is popular. and is what I have used for years.

what you want to do is get your rodi water into your container with a powerhead and heater and get it to temp then add the salt slowly checking it with a refractometer or hydrometer and let it mix for 24 hours before doing your water change
Old 01/05/2008, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

So switching from natural ocean water to salt mixed is ok?
Old 01/05/2008, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

yeah you'll be fine as long as you measure it and keep the sg the same.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

I don't think it would be an issue.

I mike salt exactly like kau_cinta_ku, I usually check my PH aslo before adding it to the tank... not sure how big of a deal it is.... better safe than sorry. But on the other hand it has only been off a couple of tenths
Old 01/05/2008, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Most people use reef crystals or instant ocean. The difference between reef crystals and instant oceans is that reef crystals has calcium and alkalinity buffer in it. If you have corals in your tank, I would advise you to use reef crystals, because of the buffers in it.

When you are mixing water, put the water in the bucket then put the salt in the bucket filled with r/o water. If you put salt in before water, it leaves a residue of salt on the surface of the water, the salt doesn't mix into the water well and the water stays cloudy, because of the salt not dissolving into the water.

When your adding salt into the water, read the directions on the back of the salt to tell you how much salt to put in every U.S. gallon. After you have added the salt to the water and mixed it for a few mins, measure the salt with a hydrometer to make sure its around the ideal salinity you want (1.024 and 1.025 is ideal for a reef tank). When its at the salinity you want, add a little pinch of ph buffer to the mixed water. When this is done heat the water to the temperature you want of your display tank, then add it to your tank.(If I was you I would use a power head to still the water around and oxygenate it when the water is being heated.)

Some people measure their ph of their mixed water before they put it in their tank. The reason I don't measure it, because I don't have a digital ph probe. Thats why I just add a pinch of ph buffer to my water.

There has been debates whether it's fine to add saltwater you have mixed right away to your tank after you have prepared it or if you should wait overnight and then add the saltwater too your tank. I think it doesn't really matter, I have always added salt to my right after I prepared my saltwater and my tank is perfect.

Last edited by Live504; 01/05/2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:14 AM
Moved On

I usually have it sitting for a week premixed and about 2 days before water change I add a pump and heater to match everything in my DT. That way, every week is ready for another and another, also in case of emergencies also.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

sounds like a winner. Thanks alot for all the info. Cross my finger for my first mix. Hope nothing goes wrong!
Old 01/05/2008, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

I'm going to go one step further.

Do yourseld a favor and measure your water to see that what your putting in the tank is the same as what your taking out.

For instance:
My tank chemistry is 425Ca:3.2Alk:1400mg:35ppmSalt:8.1pH
I change 27 gallons twice a month. In order to get those parameters with Reef Crystals I use 13 Cups of Salt Mix, 4 teaspon of dry Seachem Ca addative; 3 Cups Seachem Mg addative and a tbs pH buffer. I have a heater in the water, I heat the water to tank temperature before I do anything. Then I start the pump and add the salt. Salt sits overnight then in the morning I add the Mg. The afternoon I add everything else. I then let it sit for a day or two and then do the water change.

I believe if your keeping Corals you should test your make up water once and then determine the exact inputs into the water you need to match what your chemistry targets are for your tank.

Just IMO, Happy New Year!
Bob
Old 01/05/2008, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Live504
Most people use reef crystals or instant ocean. The difference between reef crystals and instant oceans is that reef crystals has calcium and alkalinity buffer in it. If you have corals in your tank, I would advise you to use reef crystals, because of the buffers in it.
actually they both have buffers. it is just reef crystals has more cal. and more mag. than instant ocean. but it is an easy fix with a simple 2 part.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Instant ocean doesn't have barley as much as reef crystal has... Thats why I mention get reef crystals if you have corals.

I also never said anything about adding mag, alk, or calcium buffers to the mixed water because his lfs prob never added any calcium, mag, or alk additives...

If your keeping sps corals, I would start adding mag. Start getting in a habit of adding calcium and alk to your mixed water to match up to your tank. I have never added alk or mag to any of my tanks with corals what are not as demanding as sps.

Realest, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

so your saying I have been growing corals (softies, LPS, SPS, Clams, zoas, ect) for 3 years all wrong because I have been using instant ocean? there isn't anything really diff. between the 2 brands except for the diff. amounts of cal. and mag. which are higher in Reef crystals. however it seems like a good bunch of reef crystals lately have lower cal. than instant ocean at 320 ppm
Old 01/05/2008, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

The large majority of keepers use both. I use Reef Crystals but many people including many Tank of the month people use IO. Just test the levels of the water before the change and add the supplements necessary to match your targets.

Have Fun!
Bob
Old 01/05/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Kau... I said go buy reef crystals because there are more dosages of additives in it... Also, did I say you were doing anything wrong???? No.... before making false statements, read the posts.

Last edited by Live504; 01/05/2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Not to enter or further incite another chapter in the best salt debate but you did ask which salt is used. I have used Coralife with very good results for 5 yrs. it is high in calcium and magnesium which is good if you have the coral growth to use it up.

I strongly second rjrobert concerning maintaining continuity. You are changing from sea water to a mix. It is likely the key chemistry of the these will be different. I think it would be prudent not only to test keys but also to do small water changes over a period of time to avoid any unecessary shock to your system and to monitor the reation of your corals to these changes closely.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Live504
Kau... I said go buy reef crystals because there are more dosages of additives in it... Also, did I say you were doing anything wrong???? No.... before making false statements, read the posts.
as I stated the only differences in them are the cal. and mag. levels. which as I stated can be fixed with a simple 2 part soultion. and can be cheaper than buying RC. and again as stated in new batches of RC the cal. is even lower than IO so that would make IO better for reefs if you want to go that way without having to add any suppliments.

but do go claming he has to buy reef crystals in order to keep a corals.

if that is not what your implying then I am sorry.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

No, I wasn't implying him to go buy reef crystals, I was just saying go buy reef crystals, meaning for him to go buy a brand of salt. I said reef crystals since I used it.