Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

all of my RBTA darkened

Hi, I was wondering if I could get someone's opinion on this. I've acquired several RBTAs over the months, including one from LA's diver's den, and after several months, a lot of them have changed colors from a pretty rose to a dark dark maroon--almost brown! I know that when a 'nem darkens, it's usually a good thing--regainging zooxanthellae, etc. but in my case, I think it made them look uglier lol

All eat, all are super healthy, thriving, etc. The only thing is the gradual color change. Unfortunately, I never took pics of the "before" and "after" ... but has this happend to anybody else?

TIA!
Old 01/03/2008, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

You have them under the 150W 14K MH lighting?

I've only seen mine like that twice. Once was right after it was shipped and it was in the dark for 24 hours. The second time was after my cleaning person accidentally turned off one of the MH lights a few days.

I'm not sure, but are you certain they are getting enough light?
Old 01/03/2008, 06:26 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

A 150w halide is plenty of light for that sized tank. Im sure they are getting enough light. Most RBTAs get a darker color once established and thriving in a tank. Can you take a picture? Id like to see what it looks like now.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:28 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Also, IMO, the RBTAs Ive seen in the divers den looked a little bleached to begin with.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

You might be experienceing a defensive measure that some photosenthetic corals do. If they are getting to much light they will create a layer of zooxanthellae that will protect it from harmful radiation or receiving to much light. I causes them to turn brown because of the protective layer.