Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Smile WTB mesh for mesh mod

Hi guys,

As you all know I'm building that monster skimmer. I picked up 3 rio 1700 from Planet Reef tonight and need to mesh mod them.

Does anyone have about 10"X10" of the stuff I could buy.

Thank you,

BK

Albert Einstein
Old 01/02/2008, 11:18 PM
Unregistered Member

I have some that you can have for the mere price of 2 BB from McDonalds, I prefer hot and not mild sauce. I do not like their drinks so OJ is not needed. I am around Sat AM and I live right by Wash U and the Loop.
PL
Old 01/02/2008, 11:25 PM
Unregistered Member

Not that I do not want BB-but what is your reason for skimming so much, if at all?? just curious
Old 01/02/2008, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Don't want to undercut prices...

I have a couple of different kinds. Enkamat 7010, 5006, 7220, 7020. For larger pumps the heavier 7220 might work better.

Have you experimented much with the mesh mods? I did a bit and found less to be better than more. My first few tries were not so good when I mashed 3 or 4 layers together. I had much better success with just 2 layers more loosely packed. This made more bubbles and now the pump starts every time.

I did the Sedra 3500 pump that was JXMETAL'S

Faz
Old 01/02/2008, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Mesh

Hi. I have virtually unlimited mesh from an old roll of DLS filter material from years ago. You can have as much as you want. I'll be at the meeting tomorrow night if you want some then.
Bruce
Old 01/02/2008, 11:44 PM
Unregistered Member

DUDE?GAL you are ruining my breakfast!! JJ
Faz did you get my PM
Old 01/02/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Got it

Geo:
Check your PMs.

I replied yesterday on that board.

Faz
Old 01/03/2008, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

geoxman: U like that McDonalds breakfast lol. If I buy yu 4 can I go fragging in your tank hahah. I should be free Saturday.

The reason I want to skimm so much is because I have issues. lol. That's true but the main reason is the sps thing and my addiction to large fish. I would hate to havea100 gal 6ft tank with 2 2"fish in it. I'm trying the impossible: Keepng large healthy well fed fish and lots of health coral...

fazgood: I tried it once on my Euro Reef and hated it because I did not understand it...I'm always open to do some testing... If you have some le over I have 3 pumps and I culd try 3 different materials at the same time to see what works best...

bprice:
I'll be at work tommrow from dawn to well after dusk so I can't make it to th meeting but we can meet up some place else if you have time.

Thanks to everyone. I should have enough mesh to do testing and then some.

Thank you,

BK

Albert Einstein
Old 01/03/2008, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

What area are you in?

A couple of things I learned in the process.

Measure the power consumption before and after

When modifying the existing impeller, take care to drill holes for the wire ties at geometric intervals

Don't use too much, you are not looking for a dense mat, you want water to flow through with bubbles so the mesh can fragment them

Test it before you put it all back together... several times. Make sure the pump starts both when its cold and after it warms up

Use heat to trim the edges

Faz
Old 01/03/2008, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The reason I want to skimm so much is because I have issues. lol. That's true but the main reason is the sps thing and my addiction to large fish. I would hate to havea100 gal 6ft tank with 2 2"fish in it. I'm trying the impossible: Keepng large healthy well fed fish and lots of health coral...
I agree with you here are some images from my tank. I have 10 fish in my tank 2 are large and emp and a naso. All the corals in my tank are really starting to take off and I feed the fish daily. The only coral that looks off in the tank is that one that is still not fully recovered from the two power outages of 06. It is slowly re-encrusting the bottom of the coral, if you look at it from the top you would not realize it was ever damaged. It is purple with green polyps.

My Tank
Old 01/03/2008, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

fazgood: i'm close to gateway aquatics. Forder and Lemay intersection...

I will have to do something different because these impellers do not have a plate but have the regular fins like you would find on a mag drive... I was thinking about cutting off 3 of the fins and keeping the other 3 then trimming the leftover 3 down so that they are only 1/8 instead 1/4". Then put one layer of mesh on each side...

beapeams:

Your tank looks awesome. How loud is that gen-x 6000. I still have time to return these pumps and go with one gen-x 6000 like they use on the Euro Reef rs-250. I wanted to do this originally but people told me that the pump is way too loud...

Albert Einstein
Old 01/03/2008, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

The return gen-x I don't hear at all. The gen-x 6000 on my skimmer is the one that makes noise. It would be to loud if it was in my living room, but my fish tank is in my basement and the equipment is in its own room.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

This would be under my tank in the dining room right next to the living room. Ok so I'll go with the recirc thing I guess...

Thank you

Albert Einstein
Old 01/03/2008, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I hear the eheims are not loud.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Yeah but they are expensive and I can't get a aneedle wheel one...

Albert Einstein
Old 01/03/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Gottcha.

Another Note, if you do have that tubing let me know what you want for it. I can meet you at beldts tonight if you are going to Pizza night.

Sean