Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

sump water level

Hello everyone, beautiful forum! I have a question about a 110 gallon tank I just got. It has a built in overflow and the slots for the intake are 1 1/2" from the top of the tank. The dimensions of the tank are 60LX24hx18w. Unless I am missing something obvious(which is sometimes the case), I can't really test how much room I will need in the sump to prevent overflow because as I hit those slots it will drain without ever filling up to the top of the tank. Wondering if anyone has the formula to determine how many gallons I will need to leave available in my sump to avoid overflow.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

What size sump do you have?
Old 01/02/2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

turn the power off and all the tank water goes into the sump i would add more till its about 5 inches from the top, good luck
Old 01/02/2008, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Once running, the tank can only fill up with water from the sump, so you don't need any extra. If the returns get clogged, the return pump will keep pumping until it is dry, and then it will return when the clog is cleared (to the same level it was. I guess you might mean how much empty space to leave in the sump to keep from flooding the display tank if the return gets clogged. In that case, you might be able to use the tank volume calculator on the home page and just put in 1.5" for the tank height (if it is accurate enought). Good luck.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:50 PM
Team RC Member

You can calculate the amount of water using length x width x height divided by 231. So 60x18x1.5=1620 divided by 231= 7 gallons. It will never bee that much in actualality though.
I have the same tank dimensions with my LeeMar 100G. In my case its actually between 2.3 and 3.5 gallons maximum since the water never rises clear to the top of the tank. It levels off about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the overflow teeth so its only about 3/4" to 7/8" of water that drains back.
When I set my system up originally I filled the tank until I reached the bottom of the teeth, then filled the sump 1/2 full for trials. My sump is a 30 gallon long 36" long by 12" wide. 3.5 gallons of water from the main tank equals right at 2" in the sump.
When the tank is in operation I always leave at least that 2" of space free AT ALL TIMES. Actually I keep it down about 4" just to be safe, my skimmer also works better with the lower level.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. AZ, thanks, it sounds like we have the same setup pretty much, my sump is also a 30 long. I have a pretty good idea now of how to get this thing done right.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
[i]
When the tank is in operation I always leave at least that 2" of space free AT ALL TIMES. Actually I keep it down about 4" just to be safe, my skimmer also works better with the lower level. [/B]
AZ--what is the reason for the skimmer working better at the lower level.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:43 AM
Team RC Member

The Turboflotor sits in the bottom of the sump and when the water level is too high its skims wet. If it keep the water level lower or raise the skimmer I get pretty dry foam production.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
The Turboflotor sits in the bottom of the sump and when the water level is too high its skims wet. If it keep the water level lower or raise the skimmer I get pretty dry foam production.
thanks--I'll try that--since I completly took the berlin apart and cleaned it I can't seem to get a dry skimmate like before--but I also have been keeping the sump at the make level I can(so it can still accomodate an overflow dump in a power failure)
Old 01/05/2008, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

To find maximum level of water do this. Pull the drain durso's out of the overflow(s) so they do not fill. Then fill the tank till it overflows the tank and fills the sump. Have the skimmer, heatewrs and anyother hardware sitting in sump. Let the skimmer fill with water level with the sump water level. Once the sump is maybe an inch or two from top stop filling, reinstall durso's and start your return pump. This will lower the level in your sump and should even out in a few minutes with the overflows full and running. Now look at the level in the return section of your sump and make a pernament mark at the water line there. This is the maximum water you should run with. If you need to build a shelf for your skimmer to sit at a good height.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asm481
To find maximum level of water do this. Pull the drain durso's out of the overflow(s) so they do not fill. Then fill the tank till it overflows the tank and fills the sump. Have the skimmer, heatewrs and anyother hardware sitting in sump. Let the skimmer fill with water level with the sump water level. Once the sump is maybe an inch or two from top stop filling, reinstall durso's and start your return pump. This will lower the level in your sump and should even out in a few minutes with the overflows full and running. Now look at the level in the return section of your sump and make a pernament mark at the water line there. This is the maximum water you should run with. If you need to build a shelf for your skimmer to sit at a good height.
This is great but for safety measures in case of a pump failure---I have learned that the best bet is to drill a 1/8 hole on the underneath surface of the loc line. when the power is off the tank will only drain to the hole and gravity will break the siphon.

Your method is good if you are taking out the dursos for some reason----I do regularily to let a certain clown fish flush into the sump so I can get it out of the overflow.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

I totally believe in the anti siphon holes and have them. I do know that with a long power outage (been there) the overflows will drip down through the bulkheads in the overflow so the sump should be sized to fit that water. Besides you may need to service it, ie a jumping fish, and the water will definitely go down then.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asm481
I totally believe in the anti siphon holes and have them. I do know that with a long power outage (been there) the overflows will drip down through the bulkheads in the overflow so the sump should be sized to fit that water. Besides you may need to service it, ie a jumping fish, and the water will definitely go down then.
I hear you----I just wanted to throw the idea of power outages and sump room out there to compliment your post.