Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

show off i guess

tell me what ya think

Before,NOTICE THE BOW IN THE LID ON THE CANOPY...IT WAS JUST A THIN PIECE OF PLYWOOD!!!!

THE START OF THE NEW LOOK

A FEW GHETTO MODS TO ADD A COUPLE INCHES TO THE OTHER END OF THE CANOPY THAT WASNT THERE BEFORE....

1ST COAT OF FINISH I WASNT REAL HAPPY WITH...

SO I ADDED ANOTHER..

AND THEN CLEANED THE TANK..

I also cleaned out my 75 gallon tank

Now i just gotta clean out my 55 gl, 40 gl, 2-29 gls, and 45 gl.

and my next move will probably be to go buy another 29 gallon so i can have 1 each under both sides of my 125 gl.

after that comes my big plumbing project in which i have no idea on how to go about doing, SO PLEASE ANY BODY WITH ANY LINKS PICS OR KNOW HOW THAT CAN USE PVC TO PLUMB A TANK PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP..

cause im really having trouble finding anything on the internet about plumbing a tank
Old 01/01/2008, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

Plumbing can get very creative. What are you wanting to do and how much to spend (OM's and such)? Closed loop(s)? Complicated return with multiple outlets to tank or other equipment? There's just so many options, no set plan will work for everyone.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:44 PM
GO BUCKS

what are the tank dimensions that looks big for a 75
Old 01/01/2008, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

oops sorry the tank is a 125 long

i would like to get a lil complex with the plumbing and have a closed loop added to my return if possible

really i just need some pics to give me an idea of what route i want to go!!!
Old 01/01/2008, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Where do you want the closed loop outputs/inputs? Do you want to drill the tank for it? What pump will run it and what pump will run the return (for pvc sizes)? The closed loop is completely separate from the return. What do you plan to keep? Species needing high changing flow or low/moderate flow?
Old 01/01/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

well no i dont wanna drill the tank, and im not sure what pumps will be running the closed loop do i only need 1 pump for the closed loop.

and if so what would be good for a 125 gallon tank and yes i wanna make it from pvc plumbing

i have no idea what size pvc i need

as far as in my 125 i just wanna keep basically a fowlr with maybe some polyps and xenias or something like real soft softies as far as fish i just want like a leopard (baby) or black and white spot stripped or spotted cat shark, a clown trigger, and a emperor angel

and maybe 1 or 2 other small spieces give or take

im aware that i wont be able to keep the shark for life but i do plan to upgrade to at least a 350 gallon tank

i am also gonna have a 75 gallon reef tank in my den that i do want a pretty good rate of flow in

and i already have most the pumps for it but i think they are all just like 500 gph im not sure what kinda pumps they are

i want good flow in the 125 or really just a good turn over rate and i want a excellent turn over rate in the reef tank

pictures is what i think would help the most

pics of tanks using hob overflows

thanks guys!!!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:47 PM
GO BUCKS

you will need 1 pump for the closed loop and 1 pump for the return from the sump. you cant use the same pump for both
Old 01/01/2008, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't put a closed loop on a fowlr tank. That's just me, but I wouldn't worry about the flow being that high for fish. A larger than normal return or a tunze style powerhead would be plenty.

I'd put a closed loop on the 75. If you're looking for "excellent" or very high flow, a Sequence Snapper or Dart would be nice. They're fairly quiet and energy efficient. Figuring out the flow rates will tell you what size PVC you'll need. An oceans motions unit would provide great changing flow.

You could use the same sump and return pump for both tanks if you wanted to. Again, pictures wouldn't help much, but you should be able to find some if you look a lil bit. People don't often take many pictures of their plumbing. Just give descriptions. I'd recommend looking through pictures of previous TOTM for the past year or so.

But here's a few short reads to get you started,
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2004/tips.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006...hterm=plumbing
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/7/lines#h4
Old 01/02/2008, 04:02 AM
Registered Member

wow thanks that helps alot

That dart sounds good for my reef tank

I just wanna put a closed loop on my fowlr tank to practice for my reef tank I guess and to prove to my self I can do it

I like the sound of that oceans motions return to but I've got expensive taste so I bet its a pocket buster

Thanks for the home work and advice from all you guys

I think I got a pretty good idea in what I'm gonna do as far as a closed loop on my 125 gallon

I'm just gonna get a 800 gph ph and clamp it off and plumb it and run drilled PVC around the top rim of the tank and let the ph push water flow through it

That's a closed loop right???

Thanks guys