Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Scrapping coraline??

Hey guys
we heard you can create alot more coraline if you scrape it off and let it spread throughout... But our question is some people say to do this with a knife...but we thought you werent supposed to introduce metals into the water, what other ways are there of doing this??????

Thank You
Old 12/29/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

i use a glass scraper ( use a acryclic scraper if you have acrylic tank ) to scrape of coraline. its basically like a knife with a blunt end attached to a rod. you can get this handy tool at your local pet store, lfs or marine depot. hope this helps. by the way this scraper wont rust.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

I use a single blade razor. It cleans glass very nicely; I would not use one on an acrylic tank. The metal is not in the water long enough to do any harm.

Good luck, Fred
Old 12/29/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys!!!!!
Old 12/29/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

If you have acrylic tank, a cheap alternative is plastic putty knife they come in many different sizes.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

You don't want to inroduce metal into the tank if its going to be sitting there alowing it to rust. Putting in a fresh razor blade just to scrape the glass is just fine.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

I use a scraper from kent marine. It has a metal blade for a glass tank, but it has caused no problems and it is efficient. They make a blade insert for an acrylic tank also.

John Martin
Old 12/29/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Re: Scrapping coraline??

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveNMegz
Hey guys
we heard you can create alot more coraline if you scrape it off and let it spread throughout... But our question is some people say to do this with a knife...but we thought you werent supposed to introduce metals into the water, what other ways are there of doing this??????

Thank You
Scraping off the coralline will clean your glass. The coralline you removed will not stick anywhere else. I suggest using a hard bristle tooth brush and brush the coralline surfaces to release the spores. This way, you do not remove the coralline completely from the glass. No metal involved in this method.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

well our actual thoughts were to be scraping it off the live rock, our tank is about a month old and want to try to spread some more purple around the tank