Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Just picked up my first coral!

Pretty exciting! Its a small hammer coral on a nice large piece of live rock. I will post pics once it is is done acclimating and is in the tank. I paid $35 for the coral plus $6 for the live rock it is on.
Old 12/28/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

nice cant wait to see pics!
Old 12/28/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

The LFS owner assured me that I did not need to drip acclimate and that float and dump would be fine. His salinity matches mine (.023) so I let the temp equalize and now its in the tank.

Old 12/28/2007, 07:19 PM
Team RC Member

That's a nice color you have in that one. They can be conditioned to high light; they like chaotic flow---like to have their tentacles toss gently. General good coral params and they're happy.

As a note, hammer is euphyllia, like frogspawn and torch coral. Torch is hot and standoffish, prone to sting; but frogspawn and hammer can touch without problems, and will get along very nicely, if you ever have a positioning problem. Euphyllias have no distinct,specialized sweepers such as bubble does, but can lengthen one tentacle beyond the rest and even concentrate nematocysts in that one, so I have heard, the better to sting an intruding coral. Generally the reach you see is the reach they have, but they can double that for 1-3 special tentacles nearest a problem.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Wow sk8r, I had to read that a couple times and will be looking up some of those words momentarily...!

Anyways, if that was from memory then WOW!

What is the minimum separation between this and my bubble tip anemone? Do I need to keep them at opposite ends of the tank?

Also, do you concur with "not drip acclimating" it as the LFS owner stated?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

OH NO! I looked in there this morning and there is just a nub where the coral I got yesterday USED TO BE!

Do the hammer corals "retract" in or something? I do not think I have anything that would eat it. What could have happened?
Old 12/29/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

I am really stressing out over this one, some guidance would be great...
Old 12/29/2007, 10:50 AM
Moved On

sweet!
Old 12/29/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Ok just an FYI I am told by a friend that owns a SW only fish store that the ONLY thing that does not need drip acclimated is Hermit crabs and Snails ALL CORAL, FISH AND OTHER INVERTS SHOULD BE DRIP ACCLIMATED!!! With this being said your coral may have retracted due to shock(just because the salinity is the same doesn't mean all the water parms are the same) I would give him about a week or 2 to adjust before you really freak out, if he isn't back out in 2 weeks i would call and give the store clerk that told you that you didn't have to drip him a piece of your mind and see if they will replace. But chances are if your water is good and in normal ranges he SHOULD open back up within a couple weeks MAX more like prolly a few days. Just IMHO! hope this helps!

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 12/29/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Thanks! I will be sure and drip acclimate EVERYTHING from now on. It is amazing how cavalier these LFS owners are about the animals...
Old 12/29/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McTeague
Thanks! I will be sure and drip acclimate EVERYTHING from now on. It is amazing how cavalier these LFS owners are about the animals...
Oh ya they really dont care because in most cases they will say "It was your fault somehow or another" and then proceed to sell you another fish,coral,invert Etc to replace the one that died because of their advice. Check out this site, the Owner is VERY knowlgeable and Helpful, and will tell you straight how to do everything you ask. He is a No bs kinda guy who cares about the fish and coral and inverts he sells more than just "selling you a pretty for your tank" IE he will not sell you something your tank cant handle( like most LFS that will sell you a yellow tang for a 20g tank!) Like the poor yellow tangs being kept in 5g cubicals at a a lfs i have seen! it made me sick i wanted to take them home bad but my tank is WAY too small! http://www.faroutfrags.com/

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 12/29/2007, 02:49 PM
Friend to Vallonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie71975
Ok just an FYI I am told by a friend that owns a SW only fish store that the ONLY thing that does not need drip acclimated is Hermit crabs and Snails
Snails and inverts actually need a longer acclimation than fish or corals.

It's possible your hammer has just retracted in. Do you have a pic?

Have you tested your nitrates, ammonia, calcium and alkalinity? Those parameters are important to corals.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

McTeauge, Whats going on with your coral?