Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Will Vortechs replace closed loops?

Wanted to get an actual tank related discussion going...

In your opinion, have we reached the point where closed loops are becoming obsolete?

If one Vortech can pump 3000gph, and two can be linked together to form alternating currents, is there an argument left for closed loop systems? I've read more than a couple of tanks build that say that they actually had to turn the unit down. It was too much flow for the LPS and softies.

Also, anyone making powerheads is going to have to come out with something comparable or better. Not to mention with LEDs making significant improvements monthly, are we on the cusp of the next generation of reef keeping?
Old 12/28/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

I like the Vortechs, but I'll never buy one. I prefer the look of a tank without powerheads. The next tank build I do will have holes drilled, bulkheads and lockline. JMO.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:43 AM
My tank is too full

Thats a hard one and a personal choice. This hobby is not forever.
I have seen many of tanks that I have liked and wanted to buy, but the closed loop drilled holes were in places that I did not like.
I have a vortech and I like the fact that you can also control the speed.
I looked into drilling my next tank, but how long do people really keep their tanks? Like I said, I think it is a presonal choice.
Small compact pumps are also easier to fix that a large pump with leaky seals.

To thine own self be true
Old 12/28/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

IMO - nope. Some people will still choose a closed loop system for aesthetic reasons.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

That is where I am at the moment. I really can't stand 'equipment' in the tank...but overall tank health with turnover vs. wattage out of these things is hard to ignore. I'm thinking of putting five additional holes in a small 60 cube rather than look at powerheads. I would rather put my gadget loving geekiness under and behind the tank.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

I would say it depends on how big the tank is..anything over 50-75 gallon and you are going to need a fairly large pump to run an effective closed loop. Esecially if you are planning on an SPS type system. I think at that point Wattage usage becomes the biggest issue and a closed loop system becomes less and less effective.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

New to RC, but been in the hobby for many years.

Anywho, I am trying to answer this very question with respect to a 37g Oceanic that I am going to set-up as an sps/clam tank. The tank measures 24" x 18" x 21"high.

Is the Vortech to much pump for such a small tank? If I go this route, I would have to place the Vortech on the back panel at about mid-height.

The other option is to use an Ocean's Motion Squirt on a closed loop.

Sorry if I highjacked this thread?
Old 12/28/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redfrogtango
New to RC, but been in the hobby for many years.

Anywho, I am trying to answer this very question with respect to a 37g Oceanic that I am going to set-up as an sps/clam tank. The tank measures 24" x 18" x 21"high.

Is the Vortech to much pump for such a small tank? If I go this route, I would have to place the Vortech on the back panel at about mid-height.

The other option is to use an Ocean's Motion Squirt on a closed loop.

Sorry if I highjacked this thread?
Hey, go back to where you belong, Milzie.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:39 PM
who?

Closed loop pumps are not as efficient as most of the popular powerheads. I don't know about Vortech replacing the closed loop, but you could use Tunze Streams in their Deco rocks to hide the powerheads. Roger from Tunze USA recently posted a pick of his tank with Deco rocks, finding the powerhead was a little like playing where's waldo

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 12/28/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

It all comes down to watts for me. Powerheads are the clear winner.
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer