Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Newcomer

Hey everybody, I just wanted to say what's up and introduce myself. I'm new to the hobby and setting up my first saltwater tank, which comes in next week. Hope to get to know all of you and learn as much as I can over the coming years.

Dustin
Geneva, IL
Old 12/27/2007, 11:11 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Welcome Dustin! Glad to have ya here. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/27/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Dustin, welcome.. Please take pictures so we can follow along with visuals..
Old 12/28/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the addiction. It may be helpful for you to post some specs on what you have already bought and what you think you still need. There are a lot of experienced people on the boards here that could help keep you from making some expensive mistakes. I know i wish i would of asked a lot of questions before buying some of my equipment and setting up my tank.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

What kind of gear are you setting up on your 90?
Old 12/28/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

I don't have much just yet, I'm still doing research and seeking advice on the forums. I've been on forums (for my cars) before, but never with such a genuine interest and need for help. So far, I'm having a hard time with keyword searches on RC, any hints on how to get that to work better?

I'm planning on initinially beginning as FOWLR, while I learn the basics of water quality management, and the basics of how everything works. Once I get comfortable and my tank is established, I would consider upgrading my lighting, adding a refugium, and going more in the reef direction. Right now, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and really mess up what has already been a hefty investment that there is no turning back on.

Anyways, here is what I got so far, like I said, not much, and could use some help in some areas...

90 gallon tank, glass, reef ready. Black pine stand and canopy. Basic, lousy lighting for now.

AGA sump model 3, will discard the bio-balls and opt for LR rubble. Don't plan on bio-balls ever making it into my system.

I got one pump with the set-up, Rio Plus 3100 (900gph). Not sure if I am going to use this for my return pump or build a PVC spray bar apparatus internally behind my LR to get good water flow. I started a thread on my pump/powerhead dilemma, which if you read and can offer insight, I would appreciate it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1280368

I still need to get...

Heaters and heat controller: Would like a couple of good heaters for redunancy. Would also like a controller that very accurately monitors temperature and takes appropriate action. I also started a thread on this one, so I would be happy to hear your experiences and recommmendations.

Protein skimmer, LFS was trying to sell me something I assumed to be very basic and cheap. Not the top of my priority list right now. Once I have the tank set up and the live rock curing and cycling, I'll put the protein skimmer in. This is most likely a couple of months away.

Then, the rest of the fun stuff... Test kits, nets, quarrantine tank, blah, blah, blah.... Everything. I'm starting from square one, and have just taken the first big step recently.

I also may need an ergonomic keyboard, I can't seem to get off this forum.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

WELCOME !!! If you think this hobby is an addiction, then this forum is a bigger addiction.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:59 AM
barnacle boy

most important advice i can give someone just starting out: buy good quality equipment from the start! if you don't, you will just end up replacing them down the road and you will end up wasting money. now that doesn't mean you go out and buy everything deltec i got some great deals on some really good equipment on here. keep your eyes open. good equipment will make the hobby much easier, more stress free, and enjoyable.
welcome to the hobby and RC.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:12 PM

I got one pump with the set-up, Rio Plus 3100 (900gph). Not sure if I am going to use this for my return pump or build a PVC spray bar apparatus internally behind my LR to get good water flow. I started a thread on my pump/powerhead dilemma, which if you read and can offer insight, I would appreciate it:

I personally would do the spray bar set-up from the return pump and use both holes in the overflow box for drains. I hate powerheads....
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/28/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

madadi,
Couldn't agree with you more. I am still replacing all my equipment that I cheaped out on years ago.

customdusty,
Another thing I will say is that this hobby has some very high times and some low. But keep sticking with it through thick and thin and you'll be happy you did.

Welcome, this is a great community of people. So use our experience for any help you may need.

Best of luck!
Old 12/28/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everybody. It is very comforting to know that there are a group of self-less people out there willing to help me along into what I feel will grow to be a lifelong passion. I have always been interested in this hobby, but never had the means to do it, and once I did, I felt that it may be overwhelming. After months of research and hours of reading daily, I finally took the plunge when I discovered the types of people on these forums and realized that there were so many people out their willing to share their experiences and knowledge, FOR FREE!

Thank you all, and look forward to sharing my experiences and progress with my first system.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:14 PM

Good luck! Can't wait to see some pics of your tank set up.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/29/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

welcome to the salty side neighbor!
Old 12/29/2007, 12:44 AM
CMAS Member

customdusty:

The one peice of Equiptment I wish I bought first was an Aquacontroller !!!

I fought with timers, and temperature controllers, and seperate Ph monitors, and multiple power heads, and yadda yadda yadda. The wiring and powerstrips we messy and untrustable. Unfortunately It took me 3 years and 4 different tanks before I figured this out.

-=E=-
Old 12/30/2007, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

Good advice, thank you.

Delivery date for my system: Jan 5

Only a week away! (excited, yet nervous)