Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 03:43 AM
Premium Member

Two Little Fishes phostban 150, what a POS

here is a note I just sent to reefgeek, I think it covers it all:

As i write this I can not stop shaking my head. I am stunned in utter dismay. In my 30 years of keeping aquaria, I have never come across a more deficient product. I am so disappointed, I have heard so many nice things about reefgeek and had high hopes that there was someone in the mail order industry that actually cared about the hobbyist. That can not possibly be true of a company that would put a phosban 150 in a box and mail it to a customer. The sad part about all this is that I had received this as a gift from my father for Christmas and will be putting it in the trash

If you are wondering why I hesitate to mention this product by name in the same sentence as skilter, seaclone and deep six it is because those produces so outclass this one that it would be an insult to they're manufactures.

The design and manufacture of this product is so shameful that it is an embarrassment to he industry. For starters, the "sponges" are not dense enough to be used for a mesh mod, in fact the pours in the mesh supplied are so big that palletized GAC can get through, and GFO falls right through like water through a strainer. Next, the input and output elbows leak with the slightest pressure, combine that with the fact that they only articulate 90 degrees, the weight of the pump has the tendency to pull the elbow off the reactor, one might think, this is all well and good, I will just use this product in the sump, however the label is made of paper and god knows what sort of glue they used to affix it.

So what they have successfully designed was a product that without heavy modification, if used as directed, will spill tank water all over your floor and dump GFO allover your sump

incidentally, I own the Kent marine version of this unit which I am very happy with

regards
mark

Last edited by five.five-six; 12/27/2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

well.. i don't have any problem with mine ...
Old 12/27/2007, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

sorry to hear of your troubles. when researching i noted folks had the opposite experience - tlf was the phosban reactor of choice; kent was not good.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:21 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

mark, if you're upset with the design of the product, shouldn't this letter be sent to the manufacturer instead? why kill the messenger?

for what it's worth, all fluidized reactors below the $50 range are deficient in one way or another... you get what you pay for in this case.

I put my phosban 150 in sump. No worries.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

same here, no problems. GFO stays in my unit which is in the sump. if you have a problem tell the manufacturer not the distributor.

instead of the trash i am sure someone would take it off your disgusted hands.

pores, not pours.

their, not they're

(one of my pet peeves) there, their, they're seem to be frequently interchanged and mean very different things.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:33 AM
Rubberman

Re: Two Little Fishes phostban 150, what a POS

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
the mesh supplied are so big that palletized GAC can get through,

Wow, that's really coarse mesh.

SteveU
Old 12/27/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

I haven't had any leaks or problems with my TLF phosban reactor. I've used the old version, still have the new version and even have the Kent version working fine without any leaks. The AquaC phosban reactor was too big for my tank so I had to sell it.
I agree with the other posters. Don't kill the messenger. Yes, you should tell reefgeek about the item purchased, but you should direct your hatred of the product to TLF who makes the product and tell of the difficiencies that you've encountered and maybe they can make adjustments to the next model. Many other large online companies (marinedepot, dr.'s foster and smith, pet solutions, etc) sell this product, so are they also at fault? Just thinking aloud and not making any judgements.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

sometimes i wonder why i post on these threads. it' "ok" to share your experiences, but why bash this guy.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:53 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Never had a problem with one either...

but then again.. if you want a really nice one spend the money and get a deltec....

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/27/2007, 11:09 AM
It's Domo-kun

I have an AquaC XP Plus, and it has similar design flaws. I replaced the way-too-thin mesh disks with Poly-Filter cutouts and secured the top so it doesn't leak, though it did leak a bit at first. It sits outside my sump.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:12 AM
Certified Booty Hunter

Looks like you got a lemon, cause mine works great.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

I recently picked up a Precison Marine phosban reactor also. Haven't hooked it up yet, but it is built like a tank!
Old 12/27/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I have two.One old style and one new.I have never had a problem with either one.I think the pellet carbon for aquarium use is larger than the group buy carbon I have.It's made for the drinking water filter industry.I just made a screen the same size as the sponge pad out of the mesh bag that comes in the Phosban.No carbon can pass through then.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

i just bought two of these from reefgeek...one for carbon and one for GFO. I have not had a problem - if you run the proper gph you shouldnt have issues.

i'm fairly sure the manufacturer ships hundreds of these a month...it is inevitable that here and there a defective unit will make it to the end-user.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

i picked up my 2LF phosban last week? i just ordred a set of sponges and i doubled them up... hahahaha... turned out okay... i put on extra tubing clamps on all the outlets so there are no leaks... i do want to try the bigger ones also...
Old 12/27/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

"Next, the input and output elbows leak with the slightest pressure, "....

Agree. (I stated this 4 months ago and tried to get a fix from them with no reply from them)......biggest POS there is...at least all the salt creep stops the leaks....LOL.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:24 PM
Certified Booty Hunter

I took out those elbows and attached hose directly
Old 12/27/2007, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glockcoma
I took out those elbows and attached hose directly

Thats a good idea.
I just got my TLF reactor yesterday and put zip-ties on all the connections. It sits inside my sump and has been working great for me. (Past 24 hours)
Old 12/27/2007, 12:51 PM
Moved out

Yes I noticed the elbows pop off easily so i went to the hardware store and got some hose clamps. I have had mine running a few weeks and no problems. i will say i am sooo glad i noticed how easily these things pop off though. Could have been a real disaster. Salt water and electricity does NOT mix..

Yes I agree you do get what you pay for. If you want a high quality unit buy a PM or Deltec reactor. Of course you will pay about 200 bucks for it. I chose to spend 4 dollars at the hardware store on the way home.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

thanks for all the responses guys, sorry about the grammar, it was late and I have a a moderately severe case of dyslexia.

there is no question, the mesh is way too course for GFO.

if your elbows don't leak, CONGRADULATIONS! I would not screw with them, perhaps zip-tie them on or silicone them. I think that everyone would agree that if they went 180 degrees back down, it would work much better in most applications

I don not think a responsible retailer would sell this product and i would like to warn as many people as possible about this particular product
Old 12/27/2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Mine works great also.
Mr. Boyd from Boyd Enterprises (Chemi-pure) suggested added some filter floss above the media, when using Chemi-pure or other finer grain media in a TLF phosban reactor.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:59 PM

Everytime I get a new equipment, I find it almost mandatory to re-seal all seams - especially Acrylic. For some reason, most equipments in this hobby have abysmal quality (with the exception of IceCap and Tunze IMO)

When I first filled up my brand new Kent Phos Reactor, the lid literally separated from the body, spilling water on the floor so I had to re-seal the whole thing with Weld-On. I've seen reactors, tanks, sumps, and skimmers leak even though they were brand new. It's pretty hard to find quality products these days..
Old 12/27/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I just got some ferric oxide and I plan on putting it in mesh bags inside my filter socks next to my carbon...
Old 12/27/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

I've got one hanging on the side of my sump full of carbon. Never had a problem.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:25 PM
Team RC Member

I just purchased and received one of these the other day, ;have yet to hook it up and see how it works but upon initial visual inspection of the unit, I had the same concerns listed by the OP on this product. The elbows do seem iffy at best, we'll see if they leak or not. But the overall construction seems about "average' for most the equipment i've purchased during my time in the hobby.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!