Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

added snails - they died, but all params are good. What's wrong?

Hi everyone,

New to saltwater and now very depressed...

My tank cycled in 3 days, but I waited 3 months to add anyhing in there. I added 2 snails recently. They died within 24 hours. The params then were the same as now: Ammonia = 0, pH = 8.2, nitrate = 0, nitrite = 0, temp = 78-80, salinity = 1.023 (hydrometer)

I posted a thread on this site and got some great feedback. As suggested, I ordered online a poly-filter, a refractometer, and alkalinity and calcium test kits.
Poly-filter = turned brown after about 2 days. (brown = organic. Organic is not bad, right?)
alk = 7 dKH
calcium = 300 ppm (low, but i dont think it's meaningful for anything right now)
salinity = still 1.023 (refractometer confirmed hydrometer measurements)

Tank is 12g nanocube, pre-mixed saltwater from the LFS, distilled water for top-offs (thought that might be the problem, but the poly-filter doesn't show any trace of copper).

So here I am again, still wondering why my snails died if all params are good! Let me know if you have some ideas. It's very much appreciated! I don't know what else to do anymore, I can't keep anything alive!! I will switch to ro/di water from the store instead of distilled water (eventhough it doesn't seem to have copper), is there anything else left for me to do?
Old 12/26/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Oh by the way, I did acclimate the snails over 45 minutes.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

45 minutes is probably not long enough for inverts....unless the salinity matches the LFS's exactly.

By "acclimate", did you simply float them in the bag for that long, or did you gradually add tank water? If the former, that's probably the reason your snails didn't make it.

Tracy
Old 12/26/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Have you tested for copper? That would be the first thing I'd do.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:59 PM
RC Mod

The SG is low, but not enough to kill the animals immediately. I agree that acclimation might be the issue. Also, some of the PinPoint 53 mS solution would be a good way to check the calibration of the refractometer.
Old 12/26/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Now you have got me worried...I added 12 snails today and a cleaner shrimp and did drip acclimation for 1.5 hours. They all look fine for the last 6 hours, but half of them are under the sand...
Old 12/26/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

in my experience. I just toss in snails. If the water is the same temp.. In the wild, they experience quite the extremes, including low and high tides, where they have normal salinities, to high salinities, to no water for a while.

What type of snails were they? were they correct for the type of tank you have? Some snails are marketed at our warmer freshwater temps, but are killed in them since they are from temperate waters. I don't think this is what happened though.

What was the temperature outside like today where you were, and how long did it take to go from the LFS tank to your tank?
Old 12/26/2007, 08:20 PM
Aquarium Addict

The best way to introduce snails is to let them attatch to the glass above the water line and let them enter the tank on their own terms.
Old 12/26/2007, 08:44 PM
RC Mod

What was the SG in the bag before the drip was started, and when it ended? Was the volume in the bag doubled, tripled?
Old 12/26/2007, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

I had the same experience. Everything tested fine but I sent my water to aquariumwatertesting.com and found out that my copper level was just a little too high. Treating with cuprisorb and the snails seem more active.

Caveat - I tested for copper with API test kit and it didn't show any copper. Send it off to be tested.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Might be copper...
Old 12/26/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

I do the same thing as "swanwillow" - I throw the snails in when the temp is the same. I have 7 tanks and lots of "live" snails.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

hmmm....I didnt "float" my inverts...and they were fine...I would raise your sal. to about 1.025...It will give you a little more leaway....but sounds like these guys know what they are talking about I would send off for the copper test tho...API tests varry...good luck lol Im new to
Old 12/27/2007, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

I thought you calibrate a refractometer with ro/di water, is this the case?
Old 12/27/2007, 03:36 AM
RC Mod

Using RO/DI water is fairly risky:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php
Old 12/27/2007, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

Where do you get the solution to calibrate the refractometer?
Old 12/27/2007, 03:46 AM
RC Mod

I bought mine from PremiumAquatics.com, but there are a lot of vendors of the PinPoint products.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

Thats good to know, I was always under the impression to calibrate it from RO/DI water.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

I didn't mean freshwater tanks when I posted above, sorry. I ment warmer tropical temp tanks. GAH, and its been WAY over an hour. sorry!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

My snails spawn every night. I've got thousands of babies growing; eggs everywhere. I don't think it is how you acclimate them. I just dropped mine it. I would say it's somthing in the water.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:07 PM
Team RC Member

Snail acclimation: match salinity to .001 th of a point. Match alkalinity to .1 of a point.
Your alkalinity s/b 8.3-9.3.
Temp is less critical than those two, but should generally match up within 2-3 degrees.
Salinity set to 1.025 is a good middle of the road safe reading.
Organics reading from polyfilter is fine. If it's not blue, you have no copper.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

coming for the ride on this one. I am unable to sustain a snail population also. I have had about 5 hermits in there for a couple years but snails keeping dropping. Only about 4-6 left right now and havee always wondered if it could possible be a copper problem if I never treated with copper.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

hermits=dead snails

they'll rip em right outta the shells, quite funny to see
Old 12/27/2007, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

I have found the best way to acclimate snails is to setup up a qt tank with the same water parameters as in the bag--and usually the salinity is at .018. I gradually increase the salinity pH or alk over 24 hours in the qt tank then the snails go directly into the main tank.
Since I have started doing this I have not lost a snail.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Swan, I know this, they have all been banished to the fuge but I still seem to have lost snails even after this.