Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Nice Clown Trigger...

So i added a clown trigger to my 120 with my porc,lion,hippo,GSM,scribbled rabbitfish,assorted damsels and he has been in there about a week and so far he is a pretty big push over for all the huff and puff about there agressive behavior...i know its still early but even the rabbitfish is getting crazy with him...but all the abuse doesnt bother him that much and im sure all these fish are going to get it back 10 fold......or maybe i will just have a friendly clown trigger...which would be the bomb cause he is one of the nicest colored ones i have ever seen...even if he starts to go off on my other fish im pretty sure i'll still keep him and im sure the puffer will hold his own
Old 12/25/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Not as uncommon as claimed, I have a gorgeous 4 inch clown trigger that I got last late December at 2 inches. Currently he is a model citzen and least aggressive of all the fish in my tank, never chases or bites anyone. I only with my dumb niger would look to him as an example.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

He may be just nice, or he may be new to the tank, and not yet settled in. If this is the case, then this should not last long, and the other fish should enjoy it while they can. Even if it is just mellow, which might be the case, they do get meaner as thy get older, and bigger. There have been numerous when triggers appear to be peaceful, and then just snap. Before you know it, your damsels could disappear.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

i mean then he would be doing something i have been trying to do for years,i cant catch those damsels in a 120 with like 130lbs of rock.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:37 AM
Fish Wrangler

I have one that is 8" in my big tank and he is a pushover too. He doesn't bother my chromis.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 12/26/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

thats funny...those chromis are prob always on edge....although thats pretty much somes up there behavior anyway
Old 12/26/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

i have a 5' female undulated trigger thats around 8 months old ,that lives in a 100gal tank that shares the same water as my reef tank, shes got a cave inbetween the tonga branch that she drags anything i put in , and machine gun speed bites it to death, very mean.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:09 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by jmccown
I have one that is 8" in my big tank and he is a pushover too. He doesn't bother my chromis.
That size is around the break point for going from nice and mellow juvenile, to famed aggressive trigger It's not unusual for small juvenile specimens of aggressive fish to be mellow and lead aquarists into a false sense of security.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/27/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

wink....well yeah i know my trigger isnt mature or settled yet billsreef...but im stating so far everything has gone well with him and my other fish and hopefully it will continue and i can already tell that he will not be 8in long and living with chromis when he is that size ,just based on his behavior.